Gibson Brands Forums

Got screwed by Gibson!

thedangle1

Hey everyone,

Writing this cause I'm usually not one to complain about my instruments, but bought a 2018 Les Paul Tribute model two years ago and I simply love it...until I swapped out the pickups. On their website (and everywhere else you look), they say 490R/498T pickups. Well, boy was I duped!! Check the photo out...490R and 490T! I wanted a little more high end out of my sound, so I went with Duncan hot rodded JB series. Not the point here...thought I was buying 498T when in fact I got 490T. Not sure if I want to send this in to Gibson or wait for some opinions on here.

pic1.jpg

• Like 1

Firstly 2018 Tributes are described as having the 498T pickup included in retails sites, as you have said.

Gibson used to allow navigation for year. I cant find that now.  However, I just checked the website & found that 490R and 490T are listed for the Tribute (now).  Also this configuration checks out for 2017. So it looks as if the 498T was only fitted in 2018.

You say you bought your 2018 two years ago (2017), so presumably that was a sprint run in 2017? Or did you actually buy a 2017 model? Because that would explain it.

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Firstly 2018 Tributes are described as having the 498T pickup included in retails sites, as you have said.

Gibson used to allow navigation for year. I cant find that now.  However, I just checked the website & found that 490R and 490T are listed for the Tribute (now).  Also this configuration checks out for 2017. So it looks as if the 498T was only fitted in 2018.

You say you bought your 2018 two years ago (2017), so presumably that was a sprint run in 2017? Or did you actually buy a 2017 model? Because that would explain it.

Here you go. It appears you are correct. 

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA.aspx?Page=1&ModelYear=2017

12 hours ago, thedangle1 said:

Hey everyone,

Writing this cause I'm usually not one to complain about my instruments, but bought a 2018 Les Paul Tribute model two years ago and I simply love it...until I swapped out the pickups.

You bought a guitar and loved it for 2 years and then decided you didn't like it because you read what it said on the bottom of the pickups.

Maybe you learned that you like 490Ts better than you thought.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I bought it in late 2017, when the 2018 models just came out. Check out my new pics...

This is my guitar today. As you can clearly see, it's a 2018 model, no weight relief (which 2017 has) honey burst. I removed the pick guard as an experiment and found I liked it better without it, brings out the burst color more. I also removed the PCB board and put in 50's wiring with Bourns 500k pots and orange drop capacitors. I'm going for the EVH brown sound, reason why I removed the pickups and installed the Duncans. As one person pointed out on here with the link, Gibson's website (at the time), said the pickups were 490R/498T, and I was told 498T has a much brighter sound to them than the 490T. I've been making adjustments for two years on my sound with no results until I researched the pickups and PCB board. The changes I made were night to day. I even had a bone nut put on by the luthiers I go to. Everything else I did myself. It took two years cause of money constraints and time, but it was worth it. This guitar is now perfect and love it. My setup is a Blackstar HT 40 with a new WGS Retro 30 speaker I put in using a Friedman BD-OE distortion pedal as my main sound, with MXR EVH flanger, MXR phase 90 (not EVH) and an Ibanez tube screamer. Lexicon MX200 into FX loop for other sounds.

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arcticsg said:

Well, shoot.... they pulled the same thing on my 2018 Tribute as well. 

Should have been a 498T for the bridge for sure.   

From Gibson's website: 2018 Les Paul Tribute pups 490R/498T

Sweetwater Ad : 2018 Gibson Les Paul Tribute

2018Tribute490Tpup.jpg

2018Tributeboxlabel.jpg

18gtheadbk.jpg

Kind of hard to believe this was an accident or a mistake when it's done on multiple Les Paul Tributes that are built months apart!  

Sure leaves a bad taste for sure 😞 

Does leave a bad taste. Makes you wonder if this was a marketing error with wrong info or deliberate to get sales for a low end Gibson, which is a nice guitar.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:07 PM, thedangle1 said:

This is my guitar today. As you can clearly see, it's a 2018 model, no weight relief (which 2017 has) honey burst. I removed the pick guard as an experiment and found I liked it better without it, brings out the burst color more. I also removed the PCB board and put in 50's wiring with Bourns 500k pots and orange drop capacitors. I'm going for the EVH brown sound, reason why I removed the pickups and installed the Duncans. As one person pointed out on here with the link, Gibson's website (at the time), said the pickups were 490R/498T, and I was told 498T has a much brighter sound to them than the 490T. I've been making adjustments for two years on my sound with no results until I researched the pickups and PCB board. The changes I made were night to day. I even had a bone nut put on by the luthiers I go to. Everything else I did myself. It took two years cause of money constraints and time, but it was worth it. This guitar is now perfect and love it. My setup is a Blackstar HT 40 with a new WGS Retro 30 speaker I put in using a Friedman BD-OE distortion pedal as my main sound, with MXR EVH flanger, MXR phase 90 (not EVH) and an Ibanez tube screamer. Lexicon MX200 into FX loop for other sounds.

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

you're right. I can clearly see it's not weight relieved.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:03 PM, Karloff said:

you're right. I can clearly see it's not weight relieved.

Well, I meant "clearly see" from the photo of the back of the headstock cause some were questioning if it was a 2017 or 2018, and the '17 model is weight relieved, which I don't believe in when it comes to a real Les Paul. Was one of the main features that made me buy it, but pretty funny sarcasm.

• Haha 1