Gibson Brands Forums

Transpoting my guitarts and amps.

Navy Vet.

15 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

Big fan, love the ‘Mule.  I didn’t know this until this past weekend. Johnson City is the birthplace of Mtn. Dew. 

Welcome to the Johnson City Metro area!  I live in the Gray/Sulphur Springs area.  I get my trash picked up by Johnson City Utility District!  Whoa!!

And they have a local soda called Dr. Enuf, even better than Mtn. Dew, except there's been no fizz in the stuff for a few months and nobody around here can fix anything, so the soda's going to be flat for like a year....  Yup!  So, if you need something that works all the time, bring it with you, lol.  😉

You're getting here right right as it starts to get cold.  You watch!  Bristol has the coldest nighttime temps of anyplace this far south and east of the Mississippi.  It was right about freezing the night before last.  🥶

When are you moving?

I retire mid December. I have an agent but the drive from B’ham metro is a killer on the weekend. I may take a week off and try to get a decent rate at the Hampton Inn off New Franklin States Rd. I stayed there this past weekend at 120 a night. Had dinner Sunday night at Southern Craft BBQ, damn good too.  I looked at homes past the medical center, a few looked nice. I hope to be moved by January.  Johnson City and surrounding looks a very nice place to live. Also it has a huge VA medical center. 
cold weather is something I’m familiar with. I lived in Wisconsin for 5 years. No exaggeration, I saw a solid week at -34 at night and a high at -12. 

Edited by Navy Vet.

If you're not hitting a lot of bumps, not driving like a maniac and have everything secured, they should be fine as is. When we were touring, I had 4 guitars and two amps with me and they were usually in the back of the school bus with the rest of the equipment or in the back of a pickup truck with a cab on it. People do it all the time. Since you're loading up and packing it up, you'll make sure they're secure. The destruction happens when they're mailed, shipped or taken on an airplane and the baggage/package handlers don't care and toss them around.  These days we routinely take guitars in the back set of a pickup truck and amps/PA/lights and everything else in a trailer behind the truck. I wouldn't do me much good if those things were that fragile that they couldn't be taken out and played.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:48 PM, Navy Vet. said:

Every summer me and my son go to Gatlinburg and trout fish. I told him 5 years ago if I'm able I will relocate to east Tennessee when I retire. And I am!

There's good trout fishing on and around the Watauga River in the tailwaters of Wilbur Dam, near JCY.  Check it out.  There's a good fly shop nearby.  My buddy fishes up there with one of those Japanese rigs with just the leader on like a four foot rod.

Unless you have an extremely high end Vintage Collection of Guitars & Amps renting a Van would be the easiest & most cost effective. You can probably do it in one trip.  Drive carefully! Maybe even consider some type of Travel Insurance for your Gear... You never know...

Good luck on your move...

On 10/18/2019 at 7:28 PM, Twang Gang said:

OK no movers - understandable.  But I would still rent a U-Haul as suggested with some pads and take them all in one trip.

Forget about converting Tenn. fans to Bama - not going to happen.

This.....make one trip and pack them well.