Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to buy a Les Paul, questions

yoshiii1

Hello,

I am trying to buy a Les Paul. The cheaper one I can get is the Les Paul 2018 Tribute. Its new so its still 1,199 dollars.  But I do not like how light weight it is and it is kind of ugly without the binding. I do not like the feel of the neck but its on the cheaper end.

I looked at the Les Paul Studio, new, but again no binding is making me think not to buy.

Right now Guitar Center has the Epiphone Les Paul Pro III on sale for 299 dollar.  I am temped but never really liked Epiphone Les Pauls.

Used is not really a option right now.

Which one of these is a good choice?

Is it worth buying the Epiphone even with having to upgrade the electronics?

• Like 1

Personally, I would go with the Gibson Studio or Tribute.   Just my preference.  🙂 

Btw, nothing  wrong with the Gibson 2018 LP Tribute.   The 2018 has a solid body with no weight relief, so it should be heavy (10+ lbs), not light.  Lots of sustain, a true rock monster!  I love mine. 😉 

That Tribute's been out for 2 years. I would think you could get that for a $1,000 or less.

...And now for the gratuitous pic   grin.gif

18gtfront.jpg

• Like 3

I would also get one of the Gibson's, nothing wrong with Epiphone's but if you ever want to sell it the Gibson's will obviously be the best bet. 

If you want  Les Paul with binding I think they start with the Classic.

Don't buy something you don't really want, you will always regret it, save a little longer if you have too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Don't buy something you don't really want, you will always regret it, save a little longer if you have too.

This....

Bling is just that..  Bling.  I wouldn't let the lack of bindings sway me. the tributes are great guitars

If an Epiphone is all one can afford however..  they hold their own, of course not the same as a USA Gibson, but fine guitars a great values for the expense

what ever you decide, good luck!

• Like 4

Though one,  if its new with these prices i would buy the Epiphone. But if used was an option i would go with the studio or tribute used. I think $1199 is a lot for a studio/tribute....dont get me wrong i have a 2017 tribute gold top which i ADORE, but i bought it used for $800, i would never pay the new price, but that's just me

if we were talking about a new Classic or a Standard i would totally consider buying it new

• Like 1

yoshiii1 we can not tell you what is best for you. There are so many model variations that are all good depending on the individuals needs or taste. Once you have decided what body style, neck, weight, finish, pickups, hardware and how much money you can spend, then their are lots of qualified people in this forum that can advise you.. But first you need to post your requirements..

Current Gibson LP's

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1