Gibson Brands Forums

A NEW Gibson LG-2, done right? Be still my beating heart ...

rustystrings

Well, when I said "done right," I was thinking more in terms of sunburst and with the correct headstock shape, vs. the natural finish LG-2 American Eagle with the straight-sided headstock.  And cosmetics shouldn't really matter all that much, but  at first blush, I want one very very much.   Waiting for the soundclips when they arrive ....

The other thing that Sweetwater is listing as a new  model is a 1942  Banner J-45. Not quite Legend specs in that only top bracing is hide glued, but otherwise it is a very good reproduction, a big step up from other J-45 models, including the old True Vintage. Specs include cooked Adi top w/hide-glued braces,  bone nut, 19-fret neck with V-profile and Legend fretwire, 1.725" nut, rectangular bridge with slot-through bone saddle. Very nice specs indeed!

They also have almost the same specs in a 1942 Banner LG-2 model,  a 1934 OJ, and a 1936 J-35.

Wowser! Good on Gibson.

The best way to judge these new offerings is on their own merits rather than how they compare to the originals.    Structurally they appear to be very different from the originals such as  a '36 J35 with scalloped braces  or a '57 J200  without the second wide angle brace above the soundhole.   No doubt an Interesting move on Gibson's part though.

Edited by zombywoof

What I would like to see is Gibson go a bit more adventurous and come out with a non-truss rod version of say the Banner LG2 much as Collings did with their first Waterloos.  Now that would be something to see.  A maple body Banner LG2 would also truly be appreciated.  But give those who already own say a  Bozeman-made J-200 something  different other than just looks.  Problem is guitars with specs that match the originals tend to be very pricey so if the price tags of these gives you sticker shock you ain''t seen nothing yet.

42 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Here ‘tis:

BluesKing777

That sounds great, even if it isn't a style of playing I would normally think of with an LG.

The finish is a bit odd. Website says it is "satin". I assume it is more like the old VOS finish, maybe without the built-in scratches.

10 hours ago, j45nick said:

The finish is a bit odd. Website says it is "satin". I assume it is more like the old VOS finish, maybe without the built-in scratches.

It strikes me as similar to a VOS, too, and I’ve never found the VOS treatment appealing on a sunburst finish - just sort of dull & lifeless.

However, it works to perfection with a natural finish - imho.

12 hours ago, j45nick said:

That sounds great, even if it isn't a style of playing I would normally think of with an LG.

Right on all counts- a style of playing that would normally sound better on a larger guitar. . . did they overdub the sound of a jumbo on there? 😯 Really sounds good.

The appearance of some torrefied tops has been the source of a good deal of back channel discussion- during my J-185 search, some J-185V's were found with tops that looked downright vulcanized. A finish such as that could cover a multitude of sins, much in the way that car manufacturers used to send cars down the line with a heavy orange peel paint job.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:08 AM, Salfromchatham said:

I love those LG2s. LOVE.

notice the simple straight rectangular bridge.

i have a Farida LG2 knockoff called the OT-22. It has that rectangular bridge as well. It just looks right. Compare to the American Eagle...https://imgur.com/bXu7raN

Replying on the Uneven Neck Finish J-45 thread, and having a look at the pic in Sal's LoveG2 post, reminded me of what happened when the same D'Addario mini tuner was left on Rosie, the HB-Rosewood:

l7n4qE5.jpg

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, bobouz said:

It strikes me as similar to a VOS, too, and I’ve never found the VOS treatment appealing on a sunburst finish - just sort of dull & lifeless.

However, it works to perfection with a natural finish - imho.

Going back through the specs on the Gibson website, they refer to the finish on the Historics  as "thin finish nitrocellulose VOS." Not sure where I read "satin", maybe on a dealer's website.

I'm not a fan of the VOS finish, but I could live with it on the right guitar. My L-OO legend was discounted (it was used) by a boutique dealer because he thought the finish was scratched by careless polishing. Turned out it was a VOS finish. I've actually turned that VOS into a nicely gleaming medium-gloss through the judicious use of Virtuoso cleaner and polish.

In fact, Virtuoso actually tells you not to use their products on a satin finish because it will turn it into a gloss finish.

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

just updating this post... GAS won. the Farida left. the Tak left. Much of my gear left. i got a J-45 Studio model, and i just bought the LG-2 50’s model, which i Await. so i have three Gibsons now.  SMH

Lol - Nice.  Any special songs / jams you're looking forward to first when she arrives?

13 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

just updating this post... GAS won. the Farida left. the Tak left. Much of my gear left. i got a J-45 Studio model, and i just bought the LG-2 50’s model, which i Await. so i have three Gibsons now.  SMH

Congrats, Sal. And a fine vote of confidence from a person with knowledge that goes past the world of Guitariana. It's a good thing you do, and those at Bozeman are most likely appreciative.

These punchy little LG-2's just feel at home doing the Americana thing, but part of that punchiness makes can make them a primo blues picker, too. Or comfy strummers. You pick.

Enjoy The Waiting.                                Is it the Natch, or the Burst?

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 4:10 PM, 62burst said:

When I read “done right”, I thought you were going to say they’d made one available in maple. But toasted Adirondack would be a punchy little one as well.

I thought the same thing.  In over half a century, my favorite LG2 s remain the maple body Banners.  I have found it impossible to shake one particular  '44 out of mu head.

Edited by zombywoof

On 5/3/2020 at 8:33 PM, 62burst said:

Congrats, Sal. And a fine vote of confidence from a person with knowledge that goes past the world of Guitariana. It's a good thing you do, and those at Bozeman are most likely appreciative.

These punchy little LG-2's just feel at home doing the Americana thing, but part of that punchiness makes can make them a primo blues picker, too. Or comfy strummers. You pick.

Enjoy The Waiting.                                Is it the Natch, or the Burst?

Burst! I will check back this weekend after I receive it...

On 1/19/2020 at 2:07 AM, j45nick said:

I watched all the clips I could find  from NAMM 2020 on this new Custom Shop Historic Series - I believe they have a very thin finish, something like 4 coats only instead of the usual 9.

I ordered the 1957 SJ-200 in Vintage Sunburst.