Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson straps and nitro finish

Butta

I am looking for a guitar strap for my 2013 ES-335 with a nitro finish. I am having a hard time finding options that may work...based on my research I believe I can only pick either a cotton or leather strap.

I stumbled across Gibson’s straps here: https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Straps

I am interested in the Mosaic strap but am really curious what materials all the straps use. It looks like they are lined with a leather backing.

Can all of these straps be used on a 335 with a nitro finish?

You will get circular swirl marks on the heal of your ES-335 guitar where the strap attaches no matter how careful you are. It happened to my BB King. All my straps are leather. I like Levy's straps. Quality and not that expensive.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Awesome, thank you all for the suggestions... I didn’t realize how picky the nitro finishes could be until I started looking for straps!

I’m thinking of getting some Dunlop strap locks to go with the strap. I assume that Levy straps are compatible with the strap locks? As far as installing them on the guitar, do you think there may be any concerns about the post sticking out the back of the body where the strap button currently is? Are installing strap locks on a 335  pretty standard? I have some on my Carvin and really like them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Butta said:

Awesome, thank you all for the suggestions... I didn’t realize how picky the nitro finishes could be until I started looking for straps!

I’m thinking of getting some Dunlop strap locks to go with the strap. I assume that Levy straps are compatible with the strap locks? As far as installing them on the guitar, do you think there may be any concerns about the post sticking out the back of the body where the strap button currently is? Are installing strap locks on a 335  pretty standard? I have some on my Carvin and really like them.

I used Grolsch grommets when I had electrics. No mod required. Just by beer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 12:57 AM, Butta said:

I use Dunlop Dual Design locks and they're fine.  Pretty popular.  I have them in my 335.  In Nickel.

Here is an example of a Gibson leather strap (possibly made by Levy) leaving a mark on my ES Les Paul Bass. I left the strap hang on the side of the guitar like I usually did with no consequences. This time it left a mark almost right away. I now leave the strap hang off the back a bit.

ZVfDRkk.jpg

1 hour ago, Grog said:

Here is an example of a Gibson leather strap (possibly made by Levy) leaving a mark on my ES Les Paul Bass. I left the strap hang on the side of the guitar like I usually did with no consequences. This time it left a mark almost right away. I now leave the strap hang off the back a bit.

ZVfDRkk.jpg

So Gibson's own products react with their own guitars. Nice.  So Steve there goes your theory out the window.  I guess if its gonna happen its gonna happen. No matter if the strap is on for an entire gig or 5 mins. I think all my Martins have nitro finishes and I leave them in my Hercules stands whenever they are not in my hands with no barrier between the guitar and the stand like a lot of people do.  I know the issue is a strap, but nitro supposedly reacts to any and everything. Never had a ill effect. You obviously did and I've heard of it happening and it comes up all the time. I guess you can call Gibson and talk to them. I'm sure they are just gonna tell you "it happens its nitro". Bummer. Plus Gibson fans are unwilling to give up their nitro finished guitars and they tout it as the best lacquer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

I can't say what brand strap caused this. I bought this Bourbon Burst ES Les Paul used. The previous owner must have tucked his strap around the contour of the guitar in the case & left it for an extended period of time. The binding was discolored pretty noticeably by it. I was able to rub some of it out but not all of it. Another example of what not to do...….

bzGi0Ko.jpg

Edited by Grog

55 minutes ago, Grog said:

I can't say what brand strap caused this. I bought this Bourbon Burst ES Les Paul used. The previous owner must have tucked his strap around the contour of the guitar in the case & left it for an extended period of time. The binding was discolored pretty noticeably by it. I was able to rub some of it out but not all of it. Another example of what not to do...….

bzGi0Ko.jpg

It's it a Gibson guitar and doesn't the strap say Gibson on it or am I reading it wrong? Or did it happen with a different strap?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

I have a bunch of cheapie suede-backed straps from Guitar Center and one fancy schmancy one for the Martin (brand unknown but also from Guitar Center).

I play it safe and either store guitars with the straps off or resting on top of that case shroud they used to use.  I suppose that's what the shroud was for although it always makes me think of old Dracula movies.

7 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I have a bunch of cheapie suede-backed straps from Guitar Center and one fancy schmancy one for the Martin (brand unknown but also from Guitar Center).

I play it safe and either store guitars with the straps off or resting on top of that case shroud they used to use.  I suppose that's what the shroud was for although it always makes me think of old Dracula movies.

Mine are in stands for easy access.  I mostly sit and play on my futon and do not need a strap much. I have a D'addario Kiss Rock And Roll Over strap my wife bought me years ago for Xmas and a Levy's one with a lightning bolt on it.  Ages ago when I had about 12 guitars I damn near had a strap for every one, and left them on when I was standing to play. Never affected one guitar and they were about 50/50 Gibsons to Fenders.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1