Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul R8 sweet big sound

Philby

Hi everyone, 

I am the happy owner of an R8 and repeatidly heard that its thick neck (a bit too thick tbh) contributed a lot to its huge, warm sound, what do you think ? Especially compared to R9s for instance 

Here's an example of the warm sound I have in mind : 

Edited by Philby

Hi Philby, welcome to the forum.

In my experience most Les Pauls have their own characteristics and I think this is especially the case with the Custom shop re-issues (as was certainly the case with the original 50's ones). The other thing that I feel is massively overlooked is the influence the amp  has on the tone.

Glad to hear that your enjoying yours. 

What year is your R8? 

• Like 1

They also changed the neck angle on the Les Pauls between like 1956 and 1960.  I heard Bernie Marsden saying how they started with a flatter neck angle in the early fifties and then increased it until 1959, when it was at a maximum, and then made the 1960 model flatter.  Neck angle effects sustain and that stuff, so maybe that has something to do with it.  '58's and '59's have the greatest neck angle...

• Sad 1

I bought an R8 when Gibson first ran them several years back.  Still have it like new in the case; just too heavy to enjoy much.  When I do play it the fat neck just takes a few minutes with which to get comfortable.  

I would say that the neck probably has more to do with the overall sound than say the body but every guitar as mentioned has its own characteristic.. So you could take say ten R8s and play each one in turn and you will find differences between feel and sound on each one. It comes down to every factor.. Exact neck size (and as they are finished by hand each is slightly different) and type of wood, neck angle obviously pickups and wiring. It all makes a tiny difference which adds up to a huge difference for the player.

Its why when searching for a LP really you have to go and play as many as you can to increase the chance of finding that exact one that fits you like a glove.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 5:09 PM, badbluesplayer said:

They also changed the neck angle on the Les Pauls between like 1956 and 1960.  I heard Bernie Marsden saying how they started with a flatter neck angle in the early fifties and then increased it until 1959, when it was at a maximum, and then made the 1960 model flatter.  Neck angle effects sustain and that stuff, so maybe that has something to do with it.  '58's and '59's have the greatest neck angle...

This is an interesting film highlighting the differences from year to year:

I honestly do not know so my default position is passively skeptical. That makes sense. The onus is always on the proponent to show otherwise. 

I can be convinced easily enough. I have no agenda. 

What I can say without reservation is that your LP sounds superb! Really excellent tone. =D>

Hi Philby, 

Is that you playing? 

Sounds f--king awesome! Now that’s tone!

I've never really thought about neck thickness contributing to tone, probably because I always felt the baseball bat necks were a bit too baseball-batty, but then again, I've played a 50s neck for an entirety of, what, five minutes? Let's just say I like a happy medium. 

But I would (and do) listen to Rabs. It makes a whole HELLA lotta sense that the neck's thickness would contribute to the thickness of the tone. Why was I only thinking of the body (cue jokes)?