Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall DSL and Origin opinions

SteveFord

They sound a little different but I like them both, with 12's..

Both have switchable power settings, so sounding good at low volume is possible but subjective.

The Origin is more basic with no Reverb.

The DSL has 2 Channels each with 2 Modes and the 20 with single Reverb control while the 40 has controls for each Channel.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

It gets worse (or maybe better)?

This weekend (and some spillover into next payday) is the last big pandemic induced ICONasm, after that it's house repair time.  

Got some cool junk coming, not expensive as I try to keep costs down.  

Speaking of costs, I was looking at used Martins last night.  Holy crap, what happened there?

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I do believe both are in my very near future.

I have an open box Origin 20 coming my way, I think mid September I'll be picking up a white DSL 40c which should be sufficient.

Good for you, it would be nice to hear a comparison of those two.

When my Stage Right 15 came in, I was ecstatic, my first new amp in a long time and a very very long time for tubes. I quickly got over my fear of buying an unknown amp off the internet.  Finding I loved the sound and ease of adjustment for different volume levels, I almost bought 4 more. Its an Island thing. I did order another one, just like the other one. I didn't really need it, so now I rarely run one by itself and love the sound out of two of them..

38 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

It gets worse (or maybe better)?

This weekend (and some spillover into next payday) is the last big pandemic induced ICONasm, after that it's house repair time.  

Got some cool junk coming, not expensive as I try to keep costs down.  

Speaking of costs, I was looking at used Martins last night.  Holy crap, what happened there?

Yeah my new D-18 I got a few months back was 2100 and that is 400 less than online prices. Can't believe an 18 is 2500 now. What Martin's you looking at?

I was looking at a J-40 and then I wandered around to look at my HD-28V.

Holy crap! Last time I paid any attention  D18s were around $12-1300,  HD28s were around $18 - 2000.  

I was expecting to see a J-40 for around $17-1800.

NOPE!

Yes, it'll be nice to have decent amps to play around with.  That gold top gave me the push - what's the sense of having a guitar that sounds so nice and then playing it through some cruddy transistor amp or one that will make the neighbors want to drive a stake through my heart?  Time to quit being so cheap and get something more suitable.

I have the older DSL40c for the last 3-4 years, and it’s been a great amp.  I have never had a problem with it.  

Best thing I did was swap out the stock speaker with a Celestion 65w Creamback.  The stock speaker is pretty much junk.   It was a night and day difference in tone and color.  The Creamback truly brought this amp alive!

preswap.jpg

celestion80.jpg

dsl40empty.jpg

creamback.jpg

celstionprback.jpg

dsl40celestioncream.jpg

DSL40c.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I'm starting to get serious about a small amp and have been looking at the 40W DSLcr and the Origin 20.

Any owners here, any reliability issues?  

I think I can crank them down far enough so I won't tick off the neighbors.  Suburbs, don't you know.

You may as well go ahead and enjoy it.  Crank it up, we all do... it’s a Marshall after all!  drool.gif

marshalpon.jpg

61frontup.jpg

Edited by arcticsg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I was looking at a J-40 and then I wandered around to look at my HD-28V.

Holy crap! Last time I paid any attention  D18s were around $12-1300,  HD28s were around $18 - 2000.  

I was expecting to see a J-40 for around $17-1800.

NOPE!

Yes, it'll be nice to have decent amps to play around with.  That gold top gave me the push - what's the sense of having a guitar that sounds so nice and then playing it through some cruddy transistor amp or one that will make the neighbors want to drive a stake through my heart?  Time to quit being so cheap and get something more suitable.

A 40 series is gonna cost you. My 41 was over 4k. New 28's are 2800 and 35's are over 3k. It's nuts.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

Good tip on the speaker, I will have to look into that when I get one.  There's black ones all over the place but I think I want one of the cream colored ones and the guy doesn't have a PayPal account.

Also had to get something to plug into it.  Well, 2 things to plug into it.  One for each amp.  You can never have too many things to go out of tune!

That means I either have to get another guitar cord or come out of the Stone Age and go wireless.  That means I'll have to read some instructions in super tiny print.  Ugh.

Glad I  bought my Martin when I did although I think it's  going to be a buyer's  market pretty soon.  Maybe a J-40 will wind up in my lap this time next year but not now.  Then I won't play an electric guitar for another year, ha ha.

• Like 1

That means I either have to get another guitar cord or come out of the Stone Age and go wireless

Once you go wireless, you will probably never want to use a cable again.

This is a nice little setup:  Line6 G30

If you want to get into wireless for about the price of a good cable:  Getaria Wireless

I use both.  The G30 is very reliable, and the Getaria for 50 bucks, works amazingly well.  Maybe start there...

Edited by kidblast

8 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Glad I  bought my Martin when I did although I think it's  going to be a buyer's  market pretty soon.  Maybe a J-40 will wind up in my lap this time next year but not now.  Then I won't play an electric guitar for another year, ha ha.

My 12'er is a J body style. 000 shape but dread thickness. I've got RW and Hog covered with CFM and they don't do much maple. 

12 hours ago, arcticsg said:

I have the older DSL40c for the last 3-4 years, and it’s been a great amp.  I have never had a problem with it.  

Best thing I did was swap out the stock speaker with a Celestion 65w Creamback.  The stock speaker is pretty much junk.   It was a night and day difference in tone and color.  The Creamback truly brought this amp alive!

preswap.jpg

celestion80.jpg

dsl40empty.jpg

creamback.jpg

celstionprback.jpg

dsl40celestioncream.jpg

DSL40c.jpg

I have that same amp, it sounds ok, but I've heard all the talk about the Creamback. Your recommendation might just push me to upgrade....Curious...where's a good place to buy one in the states?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Good tip on the speaker, I will have to look into that when I get one.  There's black ones all over the place but I think I want one of the cream colored ones and the guy doesn't have a PayPal account.

Also had to get something to plug into it.  Well, 2 things to plug into it.  One for each amp.  You can never have too many things to go out of tune!

That means I either have to get another guitar cord or come out of the Stone Age and go wireless.  That means I'll have to read some instructions in super tiny print.  Ugh.

I noticed that the current spec for the DSL 40CR list a 12" Celestion V-Type speaker, not the "Seventy 80" that was previously being used.. Also the current Origin 20C list a 10" Celestion V-Type.

750-DSL40CR_detail1.jpg

My amps use Seventy 80's, which I kind of like them so far, but are most commonly replaced with Greenbacks..

Edited by mihcmac

4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I have that same amp, it sounds ok, but I've heard all the talk about the Creamback. Your recommendation might just push me to upgrade....Curious...where's a good place to buy one in the states?

I can’t remember if it was Guitar Center or Sweetwater... just be sure it’s UK made 😉 

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I noticed that the current spec for the DSL 40CR list a 12" Celestion V-Type speaker, not the "Seventy 80" that was previously being used.. Also the current Origin 20C list a 10" Celestion V-Type.

750-DSL40CR_detail1.jpg

My amps use Seventy 80's, which I kind of like them so far, but are most commonly replaced with Greenbacks..

The only reason I didn’t go with the Greenback for the DSL 40c, I was worried that there would be enough power to easily blow out single 25/30w Greenback...  Luckily the Creamback turned out to be an excellent choice for the DSL 40c.     

But, now for those  4 x 12” cabs...  Greenbacks  grin.gif

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, arcticsg said:

The only reason I didn’t go with the Greenback for the DSL 40c, I was worried that there would be enough power to easily blow out single 25/30w Greenback...  Luckily the Creamback turned out to be an excellent choice for the DSL 40c.     

But, now for those  4 x 12” cabs...  Greenbacks  grin.gif

Sounds like you made a good choice, just wondering though how would the V-Type compare to the Creamback.

The Greenbacks should be safe for my 15 watt Stage Right, if I need to upgrade..

• Like 1

The Origin 20 showed up today and the Guitar Center in Missouri did such a stellar job of not packing it that it showed up with a cracked corner SO several hours later I'm back from my nearest Guitar Center with a receipt for a brand new one being sent to my house, same price.

They took care of me, good  people at the Lancaster, PA location.  

The shelves there looked pretty bare: an SG, maybe 6 or 7 Les Pauls (older Classic, Studios), some Epiphones and Fedners and some other junk.  The one I usually go to in MD was closed.  Sign of the times.

For the few minutes I screwed around with the Origin 20 I must say I'm impressed.  For an amp which was obviously built down to a cost I think this will work out really well.