Gibson Brands Forums

hard case recommendations for old SG

uncle fester

Hi all - I need to get a case for my SG, it will be for just a little bit of usage, (occasional trip to the luthier, and the rare electric jam session) so don't need to go all bombproof, but something decent would be good.  Does anyone have recomendations?

Rgds - Uncle Fester

Edited by uncle fester

16 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I would recommend a Gibson SG case as they are really tough and you can find used ones for around $100 which is the price of a new Epiphone SG case, which is very nice but the Tolex on the Gibson is much tougher.

Put you real SG in and Epi case and no one will steal it. I had an Epi case. It was real good. Gator is good. TKL I believe are who makes Gibson's cases in The Great White North. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Put you real SG in and Epi case and no one will steal it. I had an Epi case. It was real good. Gator is good. TKL I believe are who makes Gibson's cases in The Great White North. 

An aftermarket case made out of ABS without any guitar brand might work better, anything with soft Tolex gets beat-up pretty fast.

Edited by mihcmac

Thanks all - I'll check out the used sg case first, see what I can find.  All good points though.  Since it's limited use, I'm not really worried about it being stolen, so will let my vanity drive and get the Gibson over Epi.  JVI - on the bag, I think they are getting better, but have heard they are a luthiers best friend.

I would rather have my SG in its Gator case than a Gibson/TKL case for protection, but the Gator case isn’t nearly as nice looking. 

The Gator case for my SG is almost comically large.. the guitar is so thin and small and the case looks like it’s for a dreadnought. But it’s light and protective so overall an excellent case. 

I would go with the Gator. I will probably get a Gator for my R9 at some point. The case is not something where I’m concerned about aesthetics. For me it’s usually preferable for the case to look nondescript and actually kinda ugly to avoid getting stolen. 

My one complaint would be that my Gator case has metal trim. So while sticking the guitar in the case you don’t want to bang it into the metal parts and scratch it up. This is pretty standard for most cases really. Not so much a complaint as something to maybe be aware of 

Unc!!

Gibson cases are of course, the shizznizz, but... Those cases are way over priced for what you get.

Gator makes some really nice brown cases that look a lot like the old gibson ones, they even have the shroud.  $120... hard to beat.

Gator Deluxe Brown SG Case

If you buy it from Sweetwater, (which I say you should) call them to order it, and ask them to make sure you have them look for one that hasn't warped in transit.

I bought one for my Gretsch, it was a real nice case, but the lid did warp in transit from China.

Here is the standard Gator issue SG case:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GCSG--gator-deluxe-abs-molded-case-electric-solid-guitar

I have one just like this for my Shearton,  it's built like a brick s---t house..  very good cases..

Edited by kidblast

16 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I like the Gator Deluxe SG Case, it looks like my Gibson Deluxe SG Case and doesn't say Gibson on it..

it is a nice case,  I would have kept the one that came to me first, had it not had the warped lid.  My Gretsch fit like a glove.   The Gretsch case was on back order at the time.  Also a very nice case.. (they also use TKL for their cases)