Gibson Brands Forums

Need help choosing between two Les Pauls

yoshiii1

Hello,

I will buy either the Gibson Les Paul Classic or the Gibson 50's Les Paul new for both.

I like the Classic because the neck is not too big, I like the pickups lots.  

What I dont like is the weight relief.  The push pull pots I really dont need because I have single coil guitars.

The 50's Les Paul I like because of the Gold Top, and the non weight relief and the non push pull pots and no pcb board.

I dont like the pickups as much as I do on the Classic.

The neck on the 50's is kinda thick, I have played both and I wonder with the 50's if my hand will get fatigue from the thick neck when playing chords and all.

I dont have big hands, not small either. 

I am buying the Les Paul to play heavy stuff with. Well from light to heavy but with heavier gain and on some things.

I dont want too bright of pickups because will buy a Gretsch with Filtertrons later. 

The pickups on the Classic are not as bright as the ones on the 50's.   They seem smooth with gain and high gain compared to the 50's.

Which may be a better buy? Should I give the pickups on the 50's a chance?

Why not try the 60s Standard too? It has hotter pickups than the 50s and a slimmer neck.

Never mind the push/pull pots if you like the Classic. Don't pull 'em out! What's wrong with more tones? The PCB is fine too. It doesn't affect the sound and if it ever goes wonky in 20 years' time just swap it for a good old fashioned wiring loom.

• Like 2

Just now, sunking101 said:

Why not try the 60s Standard too? It has hotter pickups than the 50s and a slimmer neck.

Never mind the push/pull pots if you like the Classic. Don't pull 'em out! What's wrong with more tones? The PCB is fine too. It doesn't affect the sound and if it ever goes wonky in 20 years' time just swap it for a good old fashioned wiring loom.

Thought about the 60's but I do not like sunburst colors, tea burst or whatever.  I like solid or transparent color type finishes.

Based on what you've (and the others here) said, I would lean toward the Classic. 

As sunking101 said, you don't have to use the push pulls. As for weight relief, I cant see how that matters unless you believe it will affect your sound? As for the PCB, why not?

I think the most important consideration is the sound. You prefer the Classic's pickups.

• Like 1

Considered the LP Modern? I’m just confused why you want this traditional type of guitar to play heavy music which is anything but traditional have you. Sorry to throw in another option here but nothing wrong with weight relief IMHO. But to each and to their own what they prefer I suppose. The Modern has BB Pros in them so not sure what they sound like... Either way trying to help here. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 50s style Std with P90s the day after Christmas last year. I like the big neck, not sure how you feel about those. But it is the Goldtop, thats the only finish you could get with P90 s. Fifties wiring if that makes any difference to you and it's turned into my favorite guitar. Well worth looking at if you haven't tried one