Gibson Brands Forums

Any info on this HB & newbie questions

hummingbirdguy

A week or so ago I exchanged my HB Standard 2019 for a HB Vintage Limited 2019 (SSHVHCN19). From my understanding (and I could very well be wrong) this model ran from 2014-2019 and may have been discontinued. Efforts to find out more about the specifics of this model have turned up largely empty spare what's on retailer's sites, which I'm not so keen on trusting as GC (and couple of others) listed it as having a pickup when even the images on their site clearly indicates the absence of one.  I was wondering if anyone has any info on the specs, type of finish (is it VOS or thin nitro), whether the pins are bone or tusq, etc. I did find a spec sheet from Gibson, but it doesn't have quite as much info as other spec sheets for other HB models. I'm trying to figure out if this is a "true vintage" model or what specifically makes this "limited" as I don't think this was a XX/100 or something. Does Gibson have an explanation of their different lines, what with modern classic, historic, original, true vintage, signature, etc, etc, etc it can get a bit confusing.

As this is my first guitar I don't know what one "should' and "shouldn't" do to it, for example I was thinking of changing the tuners to a higher ratio Kluson tuner or something like this since the guitar has to be tuned at least every other day. Also, are there any recommendations on a natural sounding pickup that doesn't require altering the body, the LR Baggs Anthem Tru-Mic caught my attention but it seems a soundhole pickup is my only option. Though I'll never part with her I'd still prefer not to do surgery just to modernize it, but it'd be nice to not have to pull out and hook up mics every time I practice just to record myself for later review.

Edited by hummingbirdguy

Hey - a rather massive first post, but welcome.

A week or so ago I exchanged my HB Standard 2019 for a HB Vintage Limited 2019 (SSHVHCN19). From my understanding (and I could very well be wrong) this model ran from 2014-2019 and may have been discontinued. Efforts to find out more about the specifics of this model have turned up largely empty spare what's on retailer's sites, which I'm not so keen on trusting as GC (and couple of others) listed it as having a pickup when even the images on their site clearly indicates the absence of one

There was no pick-up anywhere near this Bird from the plant.

I was wondering if anyone has any info on the specs, type of finish (is it VOS or thin nitro),

Actually both - VOS stands for vintage original specs and that means nitrocellulose lacquer.

whether the pins are bone or tusq, etc. I did find a spec sheet from Gibson, but it doesn't have quite as much info as other spec sheets for other HB models.

The original were probably white plast. Like in the days of old. 

I'm trying to figure out if this is a "true vintage" model or what specifically makes this "limited" as I don't think this was a XX/100 or something. Does Gibson have an explanation of their different lines, what with modern classic, historic, original, true vintage, signature, etc, etc, etc it can get a bit confusing.

It is confusing, , , and you are about to confuse me 🙃. Vintage or True Vintage, , , differences would be the top and tuners. Post a pic.

As this is my first guitar I don't know what one "should' and "shouldn't" do to it, for example I was thinking of changing the tuners to a higher ratio Kluson tuner or something like this since the guitar has to be tuned at least every other day.

There should be no reason to switch. Assume these are the so called tulips

Also, are there any recommendations on a natural sounding pickup that doesn't require altering the body, the LR Baggs Anthem Tru-Mic caught my attention but it seems a soundhole pickup is my only option. Though I'll never part with her I'd still prefer not to do surgery just to modernize it, but it'd be nice to not have to pull out and hook up mics every time I practice just to record myself for later review.

Hope someone else comes in with better knowledge here.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Look forward to the review, , , and a line of photos. . 

Enjoy your new first ! guitar

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Hey - a rather massive first post, but welcome.

A week or so ago I exchanged my HB Standard 2019 for a HB Vintage Limited 2019 (SSHVHCN19). From my understanding (and I could very well be wrong) this model ran from 2014-2019 and may have been discontinued. Efforts to find out more about the specifics of this model have turned up largely empty spare what's on retailer's sites, which I'm not so keen on trusting as GC (and couple of others) listed it as having a pickup when even the images on their site clearly indicates the absence of one

There was no pick-up anywhere near this Bird from the plant.

I was wondering if anyone has any info on the specs, type of finish (is it VOS or thin nitro),

Actually both - VOS stands for vintage original specs and that means nitrocellulose lacquer.

whether the pins are bone or tusq, etc. I did find a spec sheet from Gibson, but it doesn't have quite as much info as other spec sheets for other HB models.

The original were probably white plast. Like in the days of old. 

I'm trying to figure out if this is a "true vintage" model or what specifically makes this "limited" as I don't think this was a XX/100 or something. Does Gibson have an explanation of their different lines, what with modern classic, historic, original, true vintage, signature, etc, etc, etc it can get a bit confusing.

It is confusing, , , and you are about to confuse me 🙃. Vintage or True Vintage, , , differences would be the top and tuners. Post a pic.

As this is my first guitar I don't know what one "should' and "shouldn't" do to it, for example I was thinking of changing the tuners to a higher ratio Kluson tuner or something like this since the guitar has to be tuned at least every other day.

There should be no reason to switch. Assume these are the so called tulips

Also, are there any recommendations on a natural sounding pickup that doesn't require altering the body, the LR Baggs Anthem Tru-Mic caught my attention but it seems a soundhole pickup is my only option. Though I'll never part with her I'd still prefer not to do surgery just to modernize it, but it'd be nice to not have to pull out and hook up mics every time I practice just to record myself for later review.

Hope someone else comes in with better knowledge here.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Look forward to the review, , , and a line of photos. . 

Enjoy your new first ! guitar

Hi @E-minor7, thank you for taking the time to respond! 

I posted a pic last week in the Gibson Lounge, though any excuse to share more pics is quite alright with me 😊. Mine has an aged top and tulip tuners, which from what I read is likely the reason for almost daily tunings; the Standard from before needed to be tuned only two or three times over the three weeks I tried it out. 

Yeah, I kinda figured there were never any pickups installed it was an example of how off the mark GC's description was since it was very evident in the photos on the product page there were no electronics. Thank you for clarifying that VOS is in fact a thin nitrocellulose lacquer, though I'm still confused on the pins because some websites indicate it is tusq while others say it's bone and now you're saying it's likely plastic..sheesh talk about a mystery lol. 

IMG_2707 - Copy (Small).jpg

IMG_2710 - Copy (Small).jpg

1 hour ago, hummingbirdguy said:

Hi @E-minor7, thank you for taking the time to respond! 

I posted a pic last week in the Gibson Lounge, though any excuse to share more pics is quite alright with me 😊. Mine has an aged top and tulip tuners, which from what I read is likely the reason for almost daily tunings; the Standard from before needed to be tuned only two or three times over the three weeks I tried it out. 

Yeah, I kinda figured there were never any pickups installed it was an example of how off the mark GC's description was since it was very evident in the photos on the product page there were no electronics. Thank you for clarifying that VOS is in fact a thin nitrocellulose lacquer, though I'm still confused on the pins because some websites indicate it is tusq while others say it's bone and now you're saying it's likely plastic..sheesh talk about a mystery lol. 

Well, they may be tusq. Mine from 2012 are very plasticky, but things change. It's a beautiful instrument and paired with the case they offer suchshow.                                                                                                                    A bit strange with the tuners - mine don't have the problem, , , and I keep 2 of these fliers around. 

• Like 1

Hbg,  Welcome and Congrats.   I have an HBird TV. Looks identical. But, they stopped making them a few years back - so yours is probably the successor - which was called "Vintage".  And as Em7 noted - they have the baked (torrified) tops, which usually makes them look darker.   The tuners, as others have said in another thread, you should leave them.  They are preferred  cosmetically and work fine.  The gold toned ones you mentioned in your NGD thread would sort of detract looks wise.   If you do decide to switch - at least be sure to tuck the old/originals in the gear box in your case in case you ever decide to sell it.   You said you need to 're-tune' every day or so.  Usually, with mine, the reason for that, after the stings have been on a few days to stretch - is changes in humidity. I usually have to tweak 2 or 3 strings a sixteenth of a turn every time I pick it up.   I've found it a useful habit to take a minute to make sure the guitar is 100% in tune before I start.  If the humidity hasn't changed - they'll all be in tune.   As far as the pins - they're probably tusq.  G'Luck. 

• Like 1

Welcome! 

If this is your first guitar, have you changed the strings yet, or do you still have the strings it came with? Was this a new guitar,  or pre-owned?

The reason I ask this is that tuning problems can be the result of improperly installed strings, rather than the tuners themselves.   If it is a new guitar with factory-installed strings, they are probably installed correctly. If someone has changed the strings, an inspection of the way the strings wrap around the stringposts can tell you if this is done correctly. 

You also need to be sure the ball ends of the strings are correctly seated against the bridgeplate inside the guitar, which is best verified with an inspection mirror until you get a feel for this process. After more than 50 years of changing strings, I still check the ball ends with a mirror every time I change strings, just to be sure.

The tuning problem could also be the result of strings binding in the nut, particularly if your tuning issue is related only to a couple of strings, rather than every string across the board. The tuners are the first things people think of when they have tuning issues, but they may or may not be the source of your problem.

Fortyears makes a good point about humidity changes, which have a dramatic impact on tuning stability. If your guitar is in an open environment--on a stand or hanging on a wall--every change in humidity will change the tuning. If it is not in a climate-controlled environment, there will be constant changes in tuning, particularly if you heat a house in winter, or cool it in summer.

Edited by j45nick
added additional thought

Trying to make  your way through the maze of Gibson's take on this or that guitar all of which have different descriptors added to model name can make you old before your time.  And there is no proper etiquette for what you should or should not do.  A guitar is a tool and you make it do what you need it to although you can certainly go about it in a more senstive way.

When it comes to tuners having to fine tune a guitar every day is not all that unusual.  If they are slipping, yeah it is  a problem.  I was writing this as J45nick was posting but he is, as usual, spot on.  If the guitar goes say a bit flat or sharp it could be caused by interacting with the climate, strings binding in the nut , or even not stringing it  properly.  Gear ratio is simply the number of teeth on the cog and how many times you have to turn the button to make a full revolution.  The higher gear ratio makes them more precise but not necessarily more stable.

As to pickups and modifcations required, with most the only thing you will need to do is intsall a jack in place of the endpin.  And that is always reversible by going with a No-Jak.  There was a time when certain Gibsons such as the J200 had finger braces supporting the top around the sounhole which meant you could not install a soundhole pickup without shaving down  the braces.  But if you are talking about the usual popsicle stick bracing which is what I think Gibson uses univerally now nothing has to be done.

When it comes to brigde pins I am in the "who cares" crowd.  As long as they fiit properly I am OK with most everything.  The only issue I have had with pins was an early-1970s Guild where the ends of the plastic pins had splayed so much I had to go though the soundhole to cut them off to remove the things.  

In the end there are only two kinds  of guitars out there.  Those you like and those you do not.     

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Well, they may be tusq. Mine from 2012 are very plasticky, but things change. It's a beautiful instrument and paired with the case they offer suchshow.                                                                                                                    A bit strange with the tuners - mine don't have the problem, , , and I keep 2 of these fliers around. 

I was afraid of that. Either way, at the moment the tones are right up my alley, but maybe down the line I'll try different pins. I'm quite happy with it at the moment to  be honest, just wanted to find out the definitive specs and model for future customization options. Reading fortyearspickn's explanation that tuning issues could be due to new strings and humidity makes a lot of sense, thank you so much for all your help e-minor7!

6 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Hbg,  Welcome and Congrats.   I have an HBird TV. Looks identical. But, they stopped making them a few years back - so yours is probably the successor - which was called "Vintage".  And as Em7 noted - they have the baked (torrified) tops, which usually makes them look darker.   The tuners, as others have said in another thread, you should leave them.  They are preferred  cosmetically and work fine.  The gold toned ones you mentioned in your NGD thread would sort of detract looks wise.   If you do decide to switch - at least be sure to tuck the old/originals in the gear box in your case in case you ever decide to sell it.   You said you need to 're-tune' every day or so.  Usually, with mine, the reason for that, after the stings have been on a few days to stretch - is changes in humidity. I usually have to tweak 2 or 3 strings a sixteenth of a turn every time I pick it up.   I've found it a useful habit to take a minute to make sure the guitar is 100% in tune before I start.  If the humidity hasn't changed - they'll all be in tune.   As far as the pins - they're probably tusq.  G'Luck. 

Thanks so much fortyyearspickn! The transition from TV to Vintage would make sense since mine is a HB Vintage Limited Heritage Sunburst, though I'm not so sure what makes it "limited" the baked top (and darker color) was what led to a switch from a Standard to this model. As far as the tuners go I'll leave them for the time now though I'll never sell this baby what with sentimental value and such a beautiful tone to boot. The aged top HB was the first type of 'bird I heard when searching for different Gibson guitars during my initial search, a guy in Singapore made a comparison between the TV and MC (video below).

You're most likely on to something with the tuners. The strings were changed by a tech at GC and the following day it went for a setup so likely the strings just need to break in (they're elixir nanoweb 80/20s in 12s), though the process could be slowed down by the two different string cleaners I'm using before and after use maybe? As far as humidity goes I'm using a humidifier with a humidistat - which may not be the most accurate since the levels it reads tends to fluctuate rather wildly from 27%-60% though it's set to maintain the room at 55% though there's a set of humidpaks in the case where I store it when not playing.  To be fair though I'm in New York in a pre-war building so there's radiator heating and it has gotten colder the last few days so that could very well be the culprit. Well the tusq sounds fine to my ear at the moment, but I'll explore some different ones when I'm better at playing.

6 hours ago, j45nick said:

Welcome! 

If this is your first guitar, have you changed the strings yet, or do you still have the strings it came with? Was this a new guitar,  or pre-owned?

The reason I ask this is that tuning problems can be the result of improperly installed strings, rather than the tuners themselves.   If it is a new guitar with factory-installed strings, they are probably installed correctly. If someone has changed the strings, an inspection of the way the strings wrap around the stringposts can tell you if this is done correctly. 

You also need to be sure the ball ends of the strings are correctly seated against the bridgeplate inside the guitar, which is best verified with an inspection mirror until you get a feel for this process. After more than 50 years of changing strings, I still check the ball ends with a mirror every time I change strings, just to be sure.

The tuning problem could also be the result of strings binding in the nut, particularly if your tuning issue is related only to a couple of strings, rather than every string across the board. The tuners are the first things people think of when they have tuning issues, but they may or may not be the source of your problem.

Fortyears makes a good point about humidity changes, which have a dramatic impact on tuning stability. If your guitar is in an open environment--on a stand or hanging on a wall--every change in humidity will change the tuning. If it is not in a climate-controlled environment, there will be constant changes in tuning, particularly if you heat a house in winter, or cool it in summer.

Thanks for the detailed explanation j45nick! Looks like another vote for humidity and/or strings. I'll wait a few more days to see if the strings open and if still having issues will contact the luthier, thankfully it comes with a 30 day warranty. I explained my humidity situation to fortyearspickn and will wait a few more days to see how things progress on that front. 

6 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Trying to make  your way through the maze of Gibson's take on this or that guitar all of which have different descriptors added to model name can make you old before your time.  And there is no proper etiquette for what you should or should not do.  A guitar is a tool and you make it do what you need it to although you can certainly go about it in a more senstive way.

When it comes to tuners having to fine tune a guitar every day is not all that unusual.  If they are slipping, yeah it is  a problem.  I was writing this as J45nick was posting but he is, as usual, spot on.  If the guitar goes say a bit flat or sharp it could be caused by interacting with the climate, strings binding in the nut , or even not stringing it  properly.  Gear ratio is simply the number of teeth on the cog and how many times you have to turn the button to make a full revolution.  The higher gear ratio makes them more precise but not necessarily more stable.

As to pickups and modifcations required, with most the only thing you will need to do is intsall a jack in place of the endpin.  And that is always reversible by going with a No-Jak.  There was a time when certain Gibsons such as the J200 had finger braces supporting the top around the sounhole which meant you could not install a soundhole pickup without shaving down  the braces.  But if you are talking about the usual popsicle stick bracing which is what I think Gibson uses univerally now nothing has to be done.

When it comes to brigde pins I am in the "who cares" crowd.  As long as they fiit properly I am OK with most everything.  The only issue I have had with pins was an early-1970s Guild where the ends of the plastic pins had splayed so much I had to go though the soundhole to cut them off to remove the things.  

In the end there are only two kinds  of guitars out there.  Those you like and those you do not.     

Seems like Gibson is a bit of an enigma when it comes to informing the public on models and specific changes from year to year, Tony Polecastro was apparently spot on when he mentioned Gibson doesn't keep very good records lol. Thanks for clarifying gear ratios, I definitely thought higher ratios would also ensure a longer lasting tuning, hopefully the frequent tunings will slow as the strings break in so it won't be an issue for much longer. I'm actually nervous about drilling into the body even though the luthier that setup my guitar recommended a Fishman which he installed in another HB Vintage the week prior...I'll mull it over for a bit longer before going that route, In the meantime I was interested to see if there were any preferred models of soundhole pickups for the Hummingbird. For the moment, tusq bridge pins are quite alright with me since the tone sounds great as is, though as with an installed PU I'll wait a bit longer before making a decision...probably until I take it in for another visit to the luthier next year spring/summer. 

6 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

Some good advice here these people know their shite.  Welcome to the forum and Hummingbird owner club..they are great guitars.  Beautiful guitar you have there .

Thanks for the welcome Kelly! Yeah, the people here really know their stuff, I lurked on the site for a few weeks while researching before finally registering. It's funny because I recognize a few people from posts they've made months/years ago since they were very helpful. Seems like there are quite a few HB owners past and present around here, but how anyone resist such a gorgeous guitar with honey glazed sounds is beyond me haha. 

• Like 1

Hummingbird Vintage Limited Acoustic Guitar Specifications:

Body

• Body type: Square shoulder dreadnought 
  • Cutaway: No
  • Top wood: Thermally aged Sitka spruce
  • Back and sides: Mahogany
  • Bracing pattern: Traditional hand-scalloped X
  • Body finish: Thin Nitrocellulose

Neck

• Neck shape: Round
  • Nut width: 1.725" (43.8 mm)
  • Fingerboard: Rosewood
  • Neck wood: Mahogany
  • Scale length: 24.75"
  • Number of frets: 20
  • Neck finish: Not specified

Electronics

• Pickup/preamp: No

Other

• Headstock overlay: Not specified
  • Tuning machines: Gotoh Relic
  • Bridge: Rosewood
  • Saddle and nut: Bone
  • Number of strings: 6
  • Special features:
  • Case: Hardshell case
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BigKahune said:

Body

Neck

Electronics

Other

• Special features:

Don't see any pins, but checking the Gibson site shows the main-line features tusq,  then up-grades to bone in the higher ranks. 

How to tell plast from tusq from bone from horn from brass from wood = The sound, , , , when you drop them 10 centimeters down on a mirror or glass-surface.                                                                                                                                 Actually quite right - but the dog's ear hear it in the tone too. 

• Like 1

Those Gotoh Relic are a quality tuner. I have a brand new Gibson with Gotoh tuners and they are superb .. but as others have said, tuning can be affected by overnight temperature and humidity changes, I still need to fine tune the guitar before playing.

• Like 1

The specs that are being given are those which appear on the store sites such as MF.   I think the OP is just having a bout of first guitar-itis and is overthinking it all.  Better to strike a relaxed pose and accept that it is a kind of magic.  Then again, an HB is one heck of a first guitar.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigKahune said:

Body

Neck

Electronics

Other

• Special features:

Thanks so  much for posting this! Where did you happen to find it?

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Don't see any pins, but checking the Gibson site shows the main-line features tusq,  then up-grades to bone in the higher ranks. 

How to tell plast from tusq from bone from horn from brass from wood = The sound, , , , when you drop them 10 centimeters down on a mirror or glass-surface.                                                                                                                                 Actually quite right - but the dog's ear hear it in the tone too. 

Thanks e-minr7, I'll give that a try to see which it is during a string change

1 hour ago, Brucebubs said:

Those Gotoh Relic are a quality tuner. I have a brand new Gibson with Gotoh tuners and they are superb .. but as others have said, tuning can be affected by overnight temperature and humidity changes, I still need to fine tune the guitar before playing.

Hi Brucebubs, I'm sure they are quality tuners I've read others online mentioning they also had issues with their relic tuners holding a tune as well and thought it was connected to that coupling that with the Standard I tried for three weeks only needing a tuning two or three times that whole time seemed like it was likely spot on since the vintage needed tuning almost everyday and I maintain it the exact same as the Standard. However, as others have mentioned before you it's likely due to temperature changes or new strings (especially since the Standard had old strings while this one has brand new strings)

47 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The specs that are being given are those which appear on the store sites such as MF.   I think the OP is just having a bout of first guitar-itis and is overthinking it all.  Better to strike a relaxed pose and accept that it is a kind of magic.  Then again, an HB is one heck of a first guitar.

Hi zombywoof, thanks for the information. I'm not sure if you missed it, but I mentioned that all the sites did not have the exact same info, with GC's website (and a couple of smaller international sites) indicating there was a pickup which obviously it doesn't.  I was simply looking for exact information is all, perhaps it's different with guitars but I'm not accustomed to manufacturers having marginally different product lines with little information about the differences between them - or worse yet conflicting information. Rest assured my HB is much loved and thoroughly enjoyed everyday I practice...that magic is what made me take the plunge for my first guitar.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:57 PM, hummingbirdguy said:

"As this is my first guitar. . . "

Wow- that's a lot of guitar/ a lot of Gibson, and it's a Hummingbird Vintage, no less,  for a first guitar. Congrats, for sure.

Are you coming to guitar from other stringed instruments? If not, then a good habit would be to do a quick "in tune?" check whenever you pick up the guitar, but esp.  if: 1) new strings 2)brought in from the cold 3) during times of changeable weather 4) it's been sitting a while (overnight?), or 5) you've just given it a good bit of playing.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:57 PM, hummingbirdguy said:

. . . it'd be nice to not have to pull out and hook up mics every time I practice just to record myself for later review.

You would be surprised at the sound quality of some of the recordings/video clips that people have put up here on the forum using just their iPhones. I've accessed Voice Memos quickly in the middle of a jam, or just when I've stumbled across a song or rhythm I'd like to remember. The phone's already at arm's reach, and can be recording in <10 sec.

Also- you can bump the sound quality up with a condenser mic like the Apogee MiC 96K (see seanp33's recent thread, "Learning how to record")- just leave it in the mic stand, ready to plug into the phone at a moment's notice.  And since those recordings would be on your phone, you can listen wherever, or send to the laptop. You could then treat yourself and couple that with an audio interface & some nice studio monitors. Those simple phone recordings can sound pretty decent through some good playback gear.

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Having lived in one, a  pre-war, radiator heated building  will suck the humidity out of the air.  We kept pans of H20 on top of some of the radiators and had to fill them every day. 

That's an amazing idea fortyears! Just placed a pan on mine, let's see how much it help. 

7 hours ago, 62burst said:

Wow- that's a lot of guitar/ a lot of Gibson, and it's a Hummingbird Vintage, no less,  for a first guitar. Congrats, for sure.

Are you coming to guitar from other stringed instruments? If not, then a good habit would be to do a quick "in tune?" check whenever you pick up the guitar, but esp.  if: 1) new strings 2)brought in from the cold 3) during times of changeable weather 4) it's been sitting a while (overnight?), or 5) you've just given it a good bit of playing.

You would be surprised at the sound quality of some of the recordings/video clips that people have put up here on the forum using just their iPhones. I've accessed Voice Memos quickly in the middle of a jam, or just when I've stumbled across a song or rhythm I'd like to remember. The phone's already at arm's reach, and can be recording in <10 sec.

Also- you can bump the sound quality up with a condenser mic like the Apogee MiC 96K (see seanp33's recent thread, "Learning how to record")- just leave it in the mic stand, ready to plug into the phone at a moment's notice.  And since those recordings would be on your phone, you can listen wherever, or send to the laptop. You could then treat yourself and couple that with an audio interface & some nice studio monitors. Those simple phone recordings can sound pretty decent through some good playback gear.

I'm very dedicated to my sounds; music is sacred to me...and I like nice things. Having tried to learn keyboard on a dinky Casio as a child I promised myself that I would only buy instruments that naturally produce pleasing sounds, so after listening to many youtube videos of guitarists playing many different models of Taylors, Gibsons, and Martins the only one that made my heart smile with delight was the Hummingbird (though a J45 and D28 will be next). 

In school I played the viola for several years, so I understand I'll have to tune but I don't recall tuning my viola quite as much. As you and several others mentioned it may be new strings since yesterday only two strings needed tuning though the other reasons you listed are likely contributing as well. 

Though using a DAW was my preferred method - mainly to familiarize myself with it for future use to make Youtube covers - an iphone may be more practical if for nothing else other than file size. I know exactly which thread you're talking about and I was impressed with the sound of the Apogee 96k, but I just picked up a set of Shure SM57s to tithe me until I can upgrade to either a set of KM 184s or maybe TLM 103s. The audio interface front is covered too (Apollo x4) with a pair of Blue headphones for listening since I don't want to bother my roommates or neighbors. 

With all of that I have no choice but to practice everyday lol. By Spring I hope to be good enough to play more than the absolute most basic version of a song then I'll post my progress on here 🙂

23 hours ago, hummingbirdguy said:
On 12/4/2020 at 6:20 PM, BigKahune said:

Body

• <snip>

Thanks so  much for posting this! Where did you happen to find it?

<snip>

As Zombywoof said - from a guitar sales site - MF I think.  I just searched the part#/model# SSHVHCN19

Here's more info from The Music Zoo -
.850” Neck Profile at 1st Fret
.920” Neck Profile at 9th Fret
4 lbs, 2 oz.

Great guitar you've chosen.  Congrats and enjoy!  😎

• Like 1

. . . only one that made my heart smile with delight was the Hummingbird (though a J45 and D28 will be next).

🙂

uh-oh. . it's started.

In school I played the viola for several years, so I understand I'll have to tune but I don't recall tuning my viola quite as much.

Viola can come in handy when there's a Hummingbird in the room. But the less tuning thing for that instrument is curious- what would the scale length be on something like that?

From playing upright, the lower octaves were harder to hear when strings were going out. Maybe a stethoscope would've helped.

Though using a DAW was my preferred method - mainly to familiarize myself with it for future use to make Youtube covers - an iphone may be more practical if for nothing else other than file size. I know exactly which thread you're talking about and I was impressed with the sound of the Apogee 96k, but I just picked up a set of Shure SM57s to tithe me until I can upgrade to either a set of KM 184s or maybe TLM 103s. The audio interface front is covered too (Apollo x4) with a pair of Blue headphones for listening since I don't want to bother my roommates or neighbors. 

🙂

Yeah, that was what I was afraid of. I was just trying to keep it simple and fast. And it involves no drilling.

🙂

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 8:19 PM, BigKahune said:

As Zombywoof said - from a guitar sales site - MF I think.  I just searched the part#/model# SSHVHCN19

Here's more info from The Music Zoo -
.850” Neck Profile at 1st Fret
.920” Neck Profile at 9th Fret
4 lbs, 2 oz.

Great guitar you've chosen.  Congrats and enjoy!  😎

Thanks again! 

On 12/5/2020 at 9:13 PM, 62burst said:

uh-oh. . it's started.

Viola can come in handy when there's a Hummingbird in the room. But the less tuning thing for that instrument is curious- what would the scale length be on something like that?

From playing upright, the lower octaves were harder to hear when strings were going out. Maybe a stethoscope would've helped.

Yeah, that was what I was afraid of. I was just trying to keep it simple and fast. And it involves no drilling.

🙂

Another guitar is not in the question for the next year(ish), I'm too busy enjoying this one. 

Viola was almost 20 years ago...but I do recall it was larger than a violin, which according to wikipedia is around 12.8". In a year or two I'll consider picking it up again, but keyboard and guitar have me pretty busy as is