Gibson Brands Forums

New Love Day

Sgt. Pepper

This arrived at the doorstep today. I will be listening to it when I get home in an altered state. Mine is the MoFi Original Master Recording on SACD. Should be the same as the one in the picture.

jf8eTM9.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

Just wondering ... have you heard the Steven Wilson remaster/remixes?  I have Jethro Tull, Yes and ELP and they are excellent.

I have all the Yes ones he did on the CD/DVD 5.1 Super Definitive Edition. I heard they didn't do Going For The One cause I think they can't find the master tapes and Drama didn't get done cause I think one or two of the  member that were on that album did not want him to remix it. I think it was Trevor Horn since he was the original producer he and didn't want his mix messed with.  I want to get Close To The Edge with his mix on vinyl. I must have 8 copies of it an all different formats. It is one of my top 5 albums of all time.

I have heard a few of the Tull and ELP ones too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Yay, Arthur Lee............ He was my neighbor in Laurel Canyon in 67 and lent me some money for band equipment.... I wish he was still alive..

Nice.  Time to get an adult beverage, strike a match and put on the head phones.

• Like 1

I can't wait to give a listen. 

I must confess though, I have never heard of the band Love, nor this album, before today. 

Looking over the musicians involved, it's going to be  treat, I suspect. 
I see most of the Wrecking Crew on there. 

Very excited now. 

🙂

14 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I can't wait to give a listen. 

I must confess though, I have never heard of the band Love, nor this album, before today. 

Looking over the musicians involved, it's going to be  treat, I suspect. 
I see most of the Wrecking Crew on there. 

Very excited now. 

🙂

Yeah Carol Kaye played on a few songs and Hal Blaine and a couple others I can't remember the name of.

You have never heard the songs 7 And 7 Is or Alone Again Or. UFO covered Alone Again Or on Lights Out. Looking back what strange cover for them to do.

Next week these are coming:

wUD2b18.jpg

ZZ8ky2d.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 hours ago, mihcmac said:

When the Doors first large billboard appeared on the strip, Morrison was quoted on the radio as saying .   .    .   .   .   .   .

" I hope we get as big as Love"..

big01_a_21d_Love_Arthur_Lee_T-Shirt.jpg

They would and a bit more. I am not a huge Doors fan. The guitar on L.A.Woman is fantastic. I do like most of that album. The Hammond grates on me after a few songs.

On 1/12/2021 at 10:29 PM, mihcmac said:

Yay, Arthur Lee............ He was my neighbor in Laurel Canyon in 67 and lent me some money for band equipment.... I wish he was still alive..

Very cool.  My oldest, faded-est rock T-shirt is a Love one which I got via English underground magazine Zigzag in...1970?  A near-sacred object.

I had the early LPs around that time; still have "Four Sail"  which has always been a favourite.   "False Start" I only sold a couple of years ago.

I caught him live at the Rainbow Theatre London in the 70s on the Vindicator tour - another LP I had - and it was with a hard rock band, good but my music tastes were changing and after that I gradually lost interest. 

Finally in the early 2000s he came close enough for me to see him with the band Baby Lemonade and Johnny Echols.  They started with "A House is not a Motel" which just pinned you to the wall, tremendously powerful, and played all of "Forever Changes" I think- there is a live concert CD recorded earlier,  in London 2003 - and more classic stuff.  He was dead cool and still an amazing singer, he did "Old Man"  just like Bryan Maclean.  I thought it was a fantastic gig; he had a signing session afterwards and grown men were crying. 

I am very glad to have seen that concert.

Edited by jdgm

I think 'Love Over Gold' is my favorite Dire Straits album - I also think Dire Straits were a band torn between playing the music they loved and the music that sold, to me 'Love Over Gold' was an album of the music they loved making together whereas 'Brothers In Arms' was a way more 'commercial' album.

10 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

I think 'Love Over Gold' is my favorite Dire Straits album - I also think Dire Straits were a band torn between playing the music they loved and the music that sold, to me 'Love Over Gold' was an album of the music they loved making together whereas 'Brothers In Arms' was a way more 'commercial' album.

Once B I A came out that was it for me. That album could have been really good if the dumb I want my MTV song and the song that had the video with all the football footage in it was not on it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper