Gibson Brands Forums

Is this real LP STD?

gibsonrene

I'm jaded, so my opinion is of little value. 
If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't. 

And since there has been an EXPLOSION of fake Gibson Les Pauls all across the internet, I don't trust anything found online anymore. 

My goal now is to never, ever buy another guitar that I don't hold, play, inspect, and fondle, in-person first. 
Ever again. 

Unless it comes from Sweetwater. 
Then I might trust it. 

😑

Well I'm a little suspicious, I never saw a maple top standard with the back and neck painted before and the Les Paul logo seems to be too far away from the Gibson logo. Also the serial number is hard to read  (like it may have been painted over). But other than that it looks like it could be nice guitar.

neck-side-500_500.pngnotice the position of the LP badge..

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Well I'm a little suspicious, I never saw a maple top standard with the back and neck painted before and the Les Paul logo seems to be too far away from the Gibson logo. Also the serial number is hard to read  (like it may have been painted over). But other than that it looks like it could be nice guitar.

neck-side-500_500.pngnotice the position of the LP badge..

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

so you think it was painted over? because the beck broke or something?

1 minute ago, gibsonrene said:

so chibsons have different screws?

Chibsons will usually have 3 mounting screws on the truss rod cover and an Allen key type truss rod nut. 

a real Gibson will have two screws mounting the truss rod cover and a 5/16” acorn nut on the truss rod. There is no reason at all to suspect your LP is fake based on the pics

1 hour ago, gibsonrene said:

so chibsons have different screws?

the important part is just what dub said;  the tool used for adjusting the truss rod on a USA made gibson is a 5/16 hex style wrench, a fake will need an Allen wrench.

there are other red flags which I don't see yours has, so if you're at all in doubt still, just check what is under that truss rod cover.

36 minutes ago, kidblast said:

the important part is just what dub said;  the tool used for adjusting the truss rod on a USA made gibson is a 5/16 hex style wrench, a fake will need an Allen wrench.

there are other red flags which I don't see yours has, so if you're at all in doubt still, just check what is under that truss rod cover.

because chines use metric and americans dont? I would think that if they make a good chibson they would at least use same screws?

14 minutes ago, gibsonrene said:

because chines use metric and americans dont? I would think that if they make a good chibson they would at least use same screws?

well,  the idea is, let china keep building them as they are, we can spot the counterfeits out in a heart beat with what they do today.

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So China does not have the know how and resources to machine a 5/16 acorn nut and the truss rod to accommodate it?

no acorn in china, no crue what acorn nut rook rike,  tluss lod with arren lench superior to yankee tluss lod nut..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gibsonrene said:

wow now I am scared.....

i am no expert so I dont know how to spot a fake gibson, but they have a bill apparently here it is so check it out please 

515_-930033579.jpg

The serial number checks out and to me the checklist looks authentic. 

Serial number: 002191417

Production year: January 21, 2009 (Batch:1 Product nr.: 417) 

(Manufactured in Nashville)

The unusual painted back and neck, doesn't mean it wasn't finished that way at the factory.

Another check is that Gibsons normally have a 17° break angle on the headstock, where Asian built like Epiphone have a 14° because it is more resilient but not as stiff. 

Also note that as said before I ain't no expert, I am getting pretty old and reality is slipping away.. 

Best thing to do if you have any doubts is to call Gibson Customer service.  1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766)

Edited by mihcmac