Gibson Brands Forums

Bozeman doubling in size

tgaume

Pick up this article from the Bozeman Daily Chronicle.

"Executives at Wednesday’s ceremony said they plan to more than double the manufacturing space inside Bozeman’s acoustic facility. They also plan to build a custom shop and showroom, which will “celebrate the history and legendary quality of Gibson’s handcrafted acoustic guitars.”"

• Like 1

Sounds better news than going bust!

I hope they get a Custom Shop where you can ‘custom wheels’. Not just different paint. Eg.....LG2 with 1 3/4” nut and ‘35 style vintage V neck all in custom gloss black with a few abalone inlays......😐

And the custom L-00 in same clothes to match! Ha - the BluesKing777 model L-00 and LG2.....

BluesKing777.

As the article points out the expansion is being undertaken with an eye towards increasing production to meet the rising demand created by the pandemic.  Sales of Fenders increased by something like 17%.  They were able to do this because although the factories had shut down Fender distribution centers were still filled with guitars which they took the unusual step of selling direct to customers.   But  Bozeman turns out only a fraction of the number of guitars that say Martin or Taylor does.

Oddly despite all of the decades Gibson had been in the business of making guitars, they did not have a  separate custom department until 1960.  That year Kalamazoo increased the plant size moving white wood work and finishing among other departments to a new building.  They then established  a custom shop on the third floor of the Parson Street Plant. At the time the  CS  did not issue  special or limited runs but built guitars requested by individual customers and all of their highest dollar instruments such as the J200 and Super 400.  It was run by a general foreman who had other foreman in charge of woodshop body building,  finishing and such under him. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Sounds better news than going bust!

I hope they get a Custom Shop where you can ‘custom wheels’. Not just different paint. Eg.....LG2 with 1 3/4” nut and ‘35 style vintage V neck all in custom gloss black with a few abalone inlays......😐

And the custom L-00 in same clothes to match! Ha - the BluesKing777 model L-00 and LG2.....

BluesKing777.

Bozeman has always had the ability to do this and they have.   But Bozeman has its own ideas as to what sounds best and is most user friendly in terms of neck carves and what have you.  And I am not sure how much of a market there would be for a Blues King L1 Tribute with H bracing.   Then again, you make 50  Trojans or J35's with non-scalloped bracing and tone bars and toss in a terrified red spruce top and I might well be first in line to get one.

Edited by zombywoof

I guess the question is what  direction will Bozeman take.  I gather that one-third of the guitars coming out of Bozeman are already CS instruments.  Will the addition be simply about  producing more team built guitars or take a different path,  Maybe result in high dollar options other than  body wood and bling such as a hand varnished finish or a return to the day when they produced CS models which included not only team built guitars  but those associated with a single builder whether it be Ren or a John Walker, Kevin Kopp, or Jim Triggs.  The mind wobbles.  

Not sure, but one thing they will do is make whatever will make them money, and none of you guys will be asked for your opinion on what you would like to see. Some employed by Gibson will have an input I'm sure. And if you want a custom built guitar they will probably do it for a nice fee.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Not sure, but one thing they will do is make whatever will make them money, and none of you guys will be asked for your opinion on what you would like to see. Some employed by Gibson will have an input I'm sure. And if you want a custom built guitar they will probably do it for a nice fee.

If it keeps them out of bankruptcy and in business, what me worry.  At least this time their expansion has to do with building guitars and not other non-related businesses like before, which caused their prior BK 11, leading to their new owners.  Sounds like they're investing in expanding their core business this time.  A smart move!

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff