Gibson Brands Forums

New 70s Les Paul Deluxe

Rabs

I’d pass. Wasn’t one for the 70s style LPs and Trogly sort of pointed out that there are some letdowns that weren’t taken after the real 70s LPs. But to me seems like this is just a 50s Standard of today where the P90s are replaced with the mini-HBs. I’d really like the volute, the closed letter Gibson logo, bigger headstock, even a pancake body would be nice for the historical aspect of it. But again, not a fan of the 70s LPs. Oh and a maple neck... So as pointed out I believe, only thing 70s about this is the pickups. 

I saw that Trogly review and it sounded like they took a 50s neck Standard gold top, shaved a little off the neck and stuck in the minis from what I could gather.

Looks nice but I've got that model covered with the light weight one with the weird output jack and the translucent plate on the back.

These look really nice. I've never tried a Deluxe, so I'm going on looks alone. I like the look of a lot of the rarer Les Paul's that were not always popular with guitarists, such as the beautiful Spotlight Special and The Les Paul (with wooden parts)...the Les Paul Personal was cool looking too. 

Interesting. Not "uncool" that it isn't a true 70's spec, cause do we really want that anyway?

One thing to note maybe, is that perhaps his real one may be one of the nicer ones. Better year. The thing I remember most about the 70's ones is the shape. The top carve, headstock, maybe even the neck angle. VERY different feeling guitars than what they make now. 

But the other thing, those mini humbuckers are some great sounding pup's in my opinion. They are definitely unique. Some my find them bland or flat, but they also have a mid growl that nothing else has. They can be very creamy with distortion. 

I didn't watch the whole vid, but one thing I didn't get was how is the top carve on it? It actually looks flatter than the 50's LP I remember of a few years ago. Is this true? 

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

I once did a build with Minis in it (Gibsons)..   Sounded amazing,  Shame they are hard pickups to come by these days (well Gibson ones anyway)...

This one played by our very own JDGM

AH, yes, I remember these builds now. I seem to remember you had some specific mini's in it, too. 

Didn't this start a conversation about different mini's back in the day? 

18 minutes ago, stein said:

AH, yes, I remember these builds now. I seem to remember you had some specific mini's in it, too. 

Didn't this start a conversation about different mini's back in the day? 

Ohh yeah. I think the difference between Firebird Minis and Mini Humbuckres or something.