Gibson Brands Forums

Help with string buzz

j13

I never noticed how bad my string buzz was on my Epiphone Special until I plugged in headphones on a Line 6 and the lower open strings buzz and they were buzzing through all 22 frets. I adjusted the truss rod,set action to proper height and the strings became too tight to fret or bend,so I loosened the tailpeace a bit. Now,I got that buzz again on the lower 3 strings up to the 12th fret. I play clean,and these notes all sound distorted. Should I adjust the truss rod again? Any advice would be helpful,thanks

• Confused 1

I find your descriptions a bit confusing.  If you have the strings to tight to fret or bend, then they are certainly not in tune. How did you loosen the tailpiece? 

It's a good bet that your problem lies with the nut. How is it cut? Is it the factory installed nut? If so, replace it.  And then make sure the slots are cut to the approprate depth. 

And lastly, if you never noticed the  buzz before you plugged headphones into the line 6, then I suggest you don't plug the headphones into the line 6 when playing...problem solved.

Edited by brad1

Does it buzz when you are not using your headphones and sound just coming out of your amp speaker?

Did you buy it new?

Does your Special have a bolt-on neck?

Is it a Les Paul Special or an SG Special?

Edited by mihcmac

I recently got a NOS 2018 LP Classic Player Plus.  I got it set up as best as I could, and it was close ... but still not perfect having a little string buzz here and there, etc.  As I tried to tweak it in, I would invariably make it worse or get it how I don't like it for playing.  I have never had anyone set up a guitar for me as I had always been able to get my guitars dialed in, being able to adjust all of the usual things.  But in this case, it just wasn't happening.  Fourth and ten, punt.  So I brought it in for a setup, and the repair guy explained/showed how the nut was not cut right, and I was trying to compensate for that with all of my other adjustments.  Anyway, so he fixed the nut, and then did a full excellent setup.  Now the guitar plays amazingly ... set up perfect like the rest of my guitars, that I was definitely not able to accomplish on this one.  My bottom line to you is that you may have a nut issue in addition to some other stuff going too.  Evidently, Gibson is notorious for incorrectly and poorly cut nuts (?).  Maybe it is 4th and ten for you too, and you just need to punt it along with the $75 for somebody to get it all fixed right.  I know for me that I can't put the '18 LP down now.  Best $75 I ever spent.

7IZH4kR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/15/2021 at 10:47 AM, Fish Crumpet said:

If it buzzes when fingering at the first fret and higher, the nut is taken out of the equation. Sounds like insufficient neck relief (backbow) or a hump beyond the twelfth fret.

It buzzes from open to 12th fret on the E,A,D strings. I raised the action to 2/64ths on the 1st fret and 6/64ths at the 12th fret. Which is why I'm have trouble figuring what to do next. It looks like the neck has upbow now.

Edited by j13

On 5/15/2021 at 11:26 AM, mihcmac said:

Does it buzz when you are not using your headphones and sound just coming out of your amp speaker?

Did you buy it new?

Does your Special have a bolt-on neck?

Is it a Les Paul Special or an SG Special?

Bolt on neck, old backup guitar that's my only one now. The buzz is unplugged on goes from open to 12th fret on the low three strings,and I bought it new and a Les Paul Special.

14 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Maybe a return to basic instruction could help. Just to check your truss rod adjustment is ok.

I loosened the truss rod to get rid of the buzz from the open to 12th fret,it seemed like it worked,but it's back and I got upbow now. I'll check this video out.

21 hours ago, j13 said:

I loosened the truss rod to get rid of the buzz from the open to 12th fret,it seemed like it worked,but it's back and I got upbow now. I'll check this video out.

That should work and may allow you to lower the bridge a little. If hold the guitar up looking down the strings from the bridge end at the shadow cast by the string on the fingerboard, the shadow should be fairly flat down the frets with a very slight curve toward the strings at the nut end.

Edited by mihcmac

12 hours ago, j13 said:

It buzzes from open to 12th fret on the E,A,D strings. I raised the action to 2/64ths on the 1st fret and 6/64ths at the 12th fret. Which is why I'm have trouble figuring what to do next. It looks like the neck has upbow now.

I believe what you describe as UPBOW is back bow, loosen the truss rod so that when you sight down the neck, it looks straight.

There are a hundred things that could be in play here,  high frets would be among the first to be checked once neck relief and proper action height is achieved.

At the end of the day, it sounds like you're unsure what steps to take.  I would simply advise to find a setup tech and have it setup properly.

Edited by kidblast

If you persevere at doing this yourself, and there's no reason why not to presently:

1/ The first thing to do is get the truss rod adjustment right. Have it almost straight but with a little relief. Then dont touch it anymore.

2/ Then retune, and adjust the action at the bridge. Retune as necessary. Adjust low enough for comfort but check for string buzz all the way up the fretboard before settling.

It should now be nicely adjusted and playable. If it isn't, now is the time to consider handing over to a luthier. It might be any number of things adversely affecting it.