Gibson Brands Forums

Twang Gang

In a thread a few weeks ago we were pondering guitars that we would like, but can't seem to find.  I pined for a Rosewood/Spruce dread with a short scale, and someone suggested the Gibson J-29.  Turns out they only made this model from 2014 -2016 (maybe 2017), but I was fortunate to find one that a guy was selling and he only lives about an hour from me.  I wouldn't buy a used guitar on-line  so we arranged to meet up.  Then we had a gasoline shortage around here and ended up putting it off a week, but managed to meet up with him today and I bought it.  Here is a link to Gibson legacy site describing the guitarJ-29 (gibson.com) .  The one they are describing is a 2016 model and the one I bought is from 2014 so it's a little different.  Mainly mine has a cheaper pickup (no tone control, just a volume) but it sounds alright.  He was asking $1,749 and I got it for $1,450 so way cheaper than the last few guitars I have bought and yet it fits the bill perfectly for what I was looking for.

The neck angle is good, the action is good, it intonates perfectly.  As I was inspecting it I noticed the top wasn't flat, but in researching some more they are supposed to have a radiused top so I guess that as it should be.  Has 1930s scalloped X bracing.  Being 7 years old it has it's share of little dings but nothing major.  When I got it home today I went over it closely and used Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish on it.  The fellow I bought it from has Monel strings on it and I have not used those before.  They have a nice feel, but I think they are robbing the guitar of some lower end response and perhaps volume.  I will put some 80/20s on it, but when I searched the house today found I didn't have a new set anywhere so a trip to the guitar shop will be needed in a day or two.  Also has no strap button so will have to pick up one of those and set about drilling in a hole in the neck.  I like the tone and think it will only improve with some strings that I am more used to.  For a Rosewood it does not have overbearing overtones that can sometimes get in the way, but it has some, good volume, and nice sustain.  Also the Rosewood does not have any rose or reddish stain, it is really a nice brown color, and the top has developed a good tan as well.  Here are some photos:

eJoYz9n.jpg   r3BqVd3.jpgZmp8hfb.jpgMJ9c1sf.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats on the new guitar!  Looks great! I played one once  in a Guitar Center when the J-29s were a new model.  I was impressed.   I think it just fell victim to what Henry, the CEO of Gibson said at the time, that being that it’s hard to introduce new models and make them profitable with the baggage of Gibsons’d iconic models, which also are the lifeline of the company...or something like that. (Probably the reason the new CEO, JC, has so many model variants named  J-45s.

Disclaimer:  I have a 1994 Gibson Gospel Reissue in my collection.  Another non-iconic model of a Gibson, that has a pick guard that seems similar to the J-29s pick guard.

Enjoy the guitar.  I liked playing the model!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

In a thread a few weeks ago we were pondering guitars that we would like, but can't seem to find.  I pined for a Rosewood/Spruce dread with a short scale, and someone suggested the Gibson J-29.  Turns out they only made this model from 2014 -2016 (maybe 2017), but I was fortunate to find one that a guy was selling and he only lives about an hour from me.  I wouldn't buy a used guitar on-line  so we arranged to meet up.  Then we had a gasoline shortage around here and ended up putting it off a week, but managed to meet up with him today and I bought it.  Here is a link to Gibson legacy site describing the guitarJ-29 (gibson.com) .  The one they are describing is a 2016 model and the one I bought is from 2014 so it's a little different.  Mainly mine has a cheaper pickup (no tone control, just a volume) but it sounds alright.  He was asking $1,749 and I got it for $1,450 so way cheaper than the last few guitars I have bought and yet it fits the bill perfectly for what I was looking for.

The neck angle is good, the action is good, it intonates perfectly.  As I was inspecting it I noticed the top wasn't flat, but in researching some more they are supposed to have a radiused top so I guess that as it should be.  Has 1930s scalloped X bracing.  Being 7 years old it has it's share of little dings but nothing major.  When I got it home today I went over it closely and used Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish on it.  The fellow I bought it from has Monel strings on it and I have not used those before.  They have a nice feel, but I think they are robbing the guitar of some lower end response and perhaps volume.  I will put some 80/20s on it, but when I searched the house today found I didn't have a new set anywhere so a trip to the guitar shop will be needed in a day or two.  Also has no strap button so will have to pick up one of those and set about drilling in a hole in the neck.  I like the tone and think it will only improve with some strings that I am more used to.  For a Rosewood it does not have overbearing overtones that can sometimes get in the way, but it has some, good volume, and nice sustain.  Also the Rosewood does not have any rose or reddish stain, it is really a nice brown color, and the top has developed a good tan as well.  Here are some photos:

eJoYz9n.jpg   r3BqVd3.jpgZmp8hfb.jpgMJ9c1sf.jpg

It's a real beauty.... CONGRATZ!

Put some 80/20s on this guitar and it got quite a bit louder and better low end presence.  Wait a few day for them to settle in, but initial reaction is that maybe Phosphor/Bronze might be the way to go on this one.  Time will tell.