Gibson Brands Forums

Garage and Yard Sales

Californiaman

Ever have one?

What's the most you made at a garage or yard sale?

The very first one my wife and I had we made about $300.00.

Today we grossed about $75.00. Tomorrow I should make another $75.00 off mostly kids clothing, games, and toys they don't play with any more.

I have putting on garage sales. I've helped my parents in the past and even made some money, but I don't enjoy it one bit. Now we usually save our stuff for our church youth group's yard sale. They use the money to help pay for outreach or mission trips etc...

Out where I live, there would be few shoppers. I like it this way.

Maybe someday I'll get back into the groove.

I shudder when I think about how my ex wife and her mother took over my garage!

That old woman spent all her time going to garage sales buying sh!t to put in her own garage sales - no kidding.

Her husband finally laid down the law, their attic was packed to the rafters with sh!t and they hadn't parked a car in their garage in 30 years. Their lawn mower wouldn't even fit in a two-car garage.

When we moved closer to them, she decided to use MY garage.

My wife was just trying to be helpful, but it was like a plague of locusts once her mother got in.

Grrrr.....

I went along with it a couple times, but I actually USE my garage so I was a little pissed that my trucks worth $40,000 were sitting out in the weather while $20 worth of junk filled my garage for weeks.

When I finally had enough I loaded up EVERYTHING she left there in my truck and hauled it all to her house at 10:00 PM.

Asked her where she wanted it, told her I would unload it ALL wherever she said.

Well, father-in-law got pissed. He had no idea all that sh!t was waiting to land at HIS house.

Spirited discussion ensued....

:-)

I unloaded it all on the driveway in the dark and drove home smiling from ear to ear.

The next day she had a couple of blue tarps covering it all to keep it dry while it sat on the driveway in public view.

Less than a year later I was in divorce court.

Ten years ago.....

Yep, it's been awhile since I had a garage sale at my house.

Out where I live' date=' there would be few shoppers. I like it this way.

That old woman spent all her time going to garage sales buying sh!t to put in her own garage sales - no kidding.

Her husband finally laid down the law, their attic was packed to the rafters with sh!t and they hadn't parked a car in their garage in 30 years. Their lawn mower wouldn't even fit in a two-car garage.

My wife was just trying to be helpful, but it was like a plague of locusts once her mother got in.

Grrrr.....

I went along with it a couple times, but I actually USE my garage so I was a little pissed that my trucks worth $40,000 were sitting out in the weather while $20 worth of junk filled my garage for weeks.

When I finally had enough I loaded up EVERYTHING she left there in my truck and hauled it all to her house at 10:00 PM.

Asked her where she wanted it, told her I would unload it ALL wherever she said.

Well, father-in-law got pissed. He had no idea all that sh!t was waiting to land at HIS house.

I unloaded it all on the driveway in the dark and drove home smiling from ear to ear.

The next day she had a couple of blue tarps covering it all to keep it dry while it sat on the driveway in public view.

Ten years ago.....

Yep, it's been awhile since I had a garage sale at my house.[/quote']

Wow neo. I wouldnt put up with that crap. [-X

Grrrr.....

Ten years ago.....

Best Garage sale story I ever heard...

We had one a few years ago (the last time we moved) and I vowed it would be my last! Too much trouble. Some 'tard always wants to pay $2 instead of $5 for something you paid $100 for new. Now we just donate everything to Goodwill. The tax write off is better than the cash I'd make dealing with the aggravation of another garage sale.

i live on top of a mountain closest neighbor is about a mile away, nearest city about a half an hour away. yard sales don't work here . i just ebay my stuff. doesn't sell on ebay then it goes to the local transfer station...

Grrrr.....

Ten years ago.....

I love that story Neo!

Way to go dude.

I actually have an 80 year old aunt who's the same way. But her stuff always went to the Shriners Hospital Garage Sale for the Kids.

Great story, man.

Yeah, good job CM!

Most of our stuff goes to Goodwill.

We don't have kids at home anymore, so we don't have mountains of clothes and toys.

Mrs. Neo and I have a funny way of looking at the whole charity thing.

She shops at Goodwill for good deals, buys alot of her clothes there - you would NEVER know it to look at her.

She wants to support them on both ends because she believes in the cause.

The Salvation Army and Goodwill kept her afloat as a struggling single mom, she never got a penny of child support.

We're married 3 years now and we have enough money to get by just fine.

She could shop anyplace she wants but rarely goes beyond Wal-Mart and discount stores. Why would she?

Her two sisters are the big spenders, fashionista's and what not. Her brother is the other tightwad - like me.

Now we give money to the church and donate any stuff we could sell.

We don't write it off on taxes because we BOTH have trouble with the idea of Uncle Sam paying for charity.

The government should never be involved in any way, charity belongs in the private sector.

Whether or not it's affiliated with a church doesn't matter to us, as long as there's no gov't.

When I'm President of the United States of America, those tax write-offs are history.

That's a campaign promise you can count on, along with about a dozen others.

Before moving here to North Carolina the wife and I had a huge house mostly filled with stuff we didn't need. So we put an add on Craig's List that said FREE HOUSE FULL OF STUFF. We moved everything we were going to keep into a tailor and people came and we gave them everything until it was gone and then left the State. It was so liberating like a tone of bricks off of our backs.

Here's the deal with my garage sale.

See we have a lot of hispanics here in Santa Maria who work their asses of in the fields six days a week.

They don't make a lot of money, but they sure know how to take care of their children and to stretch a dollar.

They had no problem scooping up the clothes and toys we set out this weekend.

I knew who they were and what they do for a living.

I had no problem selling good blue jeans my boys had outgrown for a buck a piece. That's how it is.

They also appreciated that I spoke to them in Spanish as much as I could.

"Quierres una bolsa?" or "Disrfutas su fin de semana" or "Yo tengo muchas ropa para los ninos or las ninas".

They understood me and I understood them. "Que costa", "Hace frio hoy (because it was cold this morning). One guy even brought up the economy is Spanish.

Also, I ran across two interesting men this weekend:

The first was looking for rod iron stuff, because he does powder coating. Well I'm getting three old metal chairs that were my grandparents back in the '60s sandblasted and powder coated for $45.00. They'll last a lifetime and I can leave them to my kids or grandkids one day.

The other guy was looking for old tube amps. He rebuilds radio amps and especially liked ones with 6v6s in them. He mentioned a couple of names, but the only one I remember was Macintosh. Together we extolled the virtues of a good tube amp.

In the end, I think we all benefitted in some way or another.

Peace, see you Monday.

I don't have garage sales,my wife used to but found it was'nt worth the time, awhole weekend for $50-$100. A friend of mine's dad had two every year, he had a good way of dealing with tight wads, if they offered way less than the asking price wich was already less than fair. He would smash said item with a hammer then say here you can have it for free.

Hah!

A buddy of mine in Texas had a similar but less destructive tact.

Selling something for ten bucks and the guy says "Will you take five dollars?"

So my Buddy says "Fifteen."

"Wait, I thought you said ten...."

"I did, it just went up" he says with a grin.

"Well, will you take eight?"

"I'll take twelve."

"Okay, fine, I'll give you ten bucks."

"Sold!"

If he wanted to get rid of them, he would simply stand on the high price.

"But you started at ten bucks!"

"Changed my mind. Don't really wanna sell it to be honest with you."

"What the fxck? Okay, I'll give you fifteen bucks!"

I don't know how he never got his *** kicked (this IS Texas ya know) but he could sell snow to an Eskimo.

It was a hoot to watch!

He even sold an old Chevy truck like that one time.

He started with what he thought was a fair price of $2,500 - and it was.

He wound up getting nearly $3,000 out of it because the guy wouldn't pay the original price - but wouldn't leave.

What a sh!tty negotiator you are if you pay MORE than the asking price for a used vehicle...

I love that story.

Archived