Gibson Brands Forums

Sunday blues on the Forum?

Here's a lady we overlooked.  And sadly, when the history of the blues is discussed, she gets overlooked too.  And there's no intelligent sounding excuse for it.

With a familiar tune!  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

I had the great honor to  meet this next gentlemen,  he was touring colleges with Big Mama Thorton,  the music department at the university I attended  brought them in for a concert,  and the two of them did a music tutorial for our class,  for one week they made themselves available to us, he was so nice to us young white punks. Showed us how he  played slide with a knife  

This was filmed the year i met him

Edited by jaxson50
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

I had the great honor to  meet this next gentlemen,  he was touring colleges with Big Mama Thorton,  the music department at the university I attended  brought them in for a concert,  and the two of them did a music tutorial for our class,  for one week they made themselves available to us, he was so nice to us young white punks. Showed us how he  played slide with a knife.

Very cool indeed.  I wish I could have seen him.   I have one LP on Arhoolie, it's great.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

I had the great honor to  meet this next gentlemen,  he was touring colleges with Big Mama Thorton,  the music department at the university I attended  brought them in for a concert,  and the two of them did a music tutorial for our class,  for one week they made themselves available to us, he was so nice to us young white punks. Showed us how he  played slide with a knife  

With a knife, eh?   Back in the "day" such a thing was called either "bottleneck" (due to blues guitar players using the necks broken off of wine bottles or longneck beer bottles)  or "fretting".  On Dylan's debut LP it's claimed he was "fretting" ( Robert Shelton's words) this song with his girlfriend's(Suzy Rotolo) lipstick holder, but that he's been known to "fret" using the back of a kitchen knife or other such objects.

Whitefang