Gibson Brands Forums

Fellow Acoustic Lovers - How do you store your Electric Hollow/Semi-Hollow Bodies?

BoSoxBiker

I have a 1969 cherry ES 335 that I bought from the single owner 10 years ago. He kept it under his bed.  Beautiful light checking in the nitro and a slight bow in the lower neck that was fixed by a truss rod adjustment. No other issues.  Also have several other electrics and acoustics that I purchased new and kept in  a humidity controlled music room. since 2005 with no issues. 

1 minute ago, Low Country Boy said:

I have a 1969 cherry ES 335 that I bought from the single owner 10 years ago. He kept it under his bed.  Beautiful light checking in the nitro and a slight bow in the lower neck that was fixed by a truss rod adjustment. No other issues.  Also have several other electrics and acoustics that I purchased new and kept in  a humidity controlled music room. since 2005 with no issues. 

Nice! Sounds like a beauty. I hate to be sound like such a cliche, but would love to see a pic. 🙂 

I  have an ES137, and old (1970) Ovation Tornado which is not the round back, its semi-hollow body and also an 81 Les Paul Std. I just keep them all in the case in the same room with my acoustics.  The Ovation is in excellent condition despite spending time my dorm room. Never done anything special to any other than making sure they were not exposed to temperature extremes.  Of course LP is built like a rock so nothing to do there really.  I bought the LP at a music store here in Raleigh that is no longer in business called Audio Light and Musical.  Went in one Saturday morning and a kid had just traded in on some other guitar that had a tremolo on it because that’s what Eddie Van Halen had.  Les Pauls were a little bit out of favor at the time so I got it for $385.00.  Probably the best guitar purchase I ever made. Just an interesting aside.

img%5D
Right next to my acoustic. 😜

I'd say a semi hollow isn't all that meteorosensitive as an acoustic. But also not as forgiving as an solidbody electric. 

When humidity/ temperature go extrem the Hummingbird goes to its case first.  The Es follows a few days when it stays that way. I don't even have a real case for my Tele. 

Edited by littlejohnny
  • Like 1

I had a 335 and a BB King and I never hydrated either like I do my acoustics. I use those Boveda packs in my cases and I guess you could put them in the case of a ES guitar.  I don't think it can hurt. If in doubt contact the company that makes them and ask.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I used to keep them in their case with the Boveda packs. When I finally was able to setup a guitar room that I could control I have them all out on the wall or on a rack. That's my Ovation I bought new in 1970 in the corner.

Arch tops

• Like 2

I had an ES-175 that I bought new in 1988 (sold it last year). I think I played the thing twice. It was stored in it's case in an attic closet that saw temps ranging from about 60 degrees to 100 degrees and humidity from 30% to 70%. When I sold it, the shop owner said he never saw a cleaner looking 30 y.o. guitar. The thing look as good as the day I bought it. 

Don't try this at home, kids.

Edited by gearbasher

All over the place, then.

I've got a decent, but cheap MIK Gretsch Electromatic g5420(or g5120? W/E)  that's spent maybe two weeks in a case over 12-ish years I've had it. Still plays wonderfully. Couldn't bear to sell it recently. Decided to find good pickups for it and keep it. Might as well invest $30 in one of those Boveda packs mentioned earlier.

An ES-335 is no simple amount of $$. Definitely worth the time and effort to start it down the right path, or at least a safe one.

@littlejohnny, that's a nice looking pair of guitars you're sporting. 😎   Likewise, Dave, as always with an enviable collection even in it;s diminished, but currently manageable state.

6 hours ago, J185cat said:

I  have an ES137, and old (1970) Ovation Tornado which is not the round back, its semi-hollow body and also an 81 Les Paul Std. I just keep them all in the case in the same room with my acoustics.  The Ovation is in excellent condition despite spending time my dorm room. Never done anything special to any other than making sure they were not exposed to temperature extremes.  Of course LP is built like a rock so nothing to do there really.  I bought the LP at a music store here in Raleigh that is no longer in business called Audio Light and Musical.  Went in one Saturday morning and a kid had just traded in on some other guitar that had a tremolo on it because that’s what Eddie Van Halen had.  Les Pauls were a little bit out of favor at the time so I got it for $385.00.  Probably the best guitar purchase I ever made. Just an interesting aside.

Man, if Only I had known I would get into playing guitars one day. All the used deals and pawnshop finds that happened pre-interweb. 'oy!

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I had a 335 and a BB King and I never hydrated either like I do my acoustics. I use those Boveda packs in my cases and I guess you could put them in the case of a ES guitar.  I don't think it can hurt. If in doubt contact the company that makes them and ask.

Side question. It's my thread, so I can get away with it? Anyhow, an alternate brand guitar of which we both had one of. Did the tuners get wicked tight on you? My D-string tuner is getting really tight.

34 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Side question. It's my thread, so I can get away with it? Anyhow, an alternate brand guitar of which we both had one of. Did the tuners get wicked tight on you? My D-string tuner is getting really tight.

What is the series number 41?

6 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

That's the one!

No  a few of my tuners were snug but not wicked tight. Not sure what tuners you have on yours. Mine was a Re-imagined 41 and had Schaller Grand Tune Tuners. I was not a fan of them and  was going to change them out but eventually decided to kept it stock. I hate gold hardware and is the only complaint I ever had of the 41 and BB King I owned. I know gold is supposed to make it look super fancy, but I like chrome or nickel - whatever a company calls the silver colored hardware.

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

No  a few of my tuners were snug but not wicked tight. Not sure what tuners you have on yours. Mine was a Re-imagined 41 and had Schaller Grand Tune Tuners. I was not a fan of them and  was going to change them out but eventually decided to kept it stock. I hate gold hardware and is the only complaint I ever had of the 41 and BB King I owned. I know gold is supposed to make it look super fancy, but I like chrome or nickel - whatever a company calls the silver colored hardware.

Yup, same guitar. I'll call the company and see what they has to say.

5 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

So Gents, is it safe to assume you like these Boveda packs better than the d 'Addario humipacks? I've not heard of them until this thread.

I could be wrong here, but I believe the Boveda packs are the original OEM of what D'Addario has rebranded.

as to the question,, All my guitars (acoustic/electric/semi/what ever..) are cased almost always when not being played.

1 hour ago, BoSoxBiker said:

So Gents, is it safe to assume you like these Boveda packs better than the d 'Addario humipacks? I've not heard of them until this thread.

They’re the same thing. I believe d’A bought them out years ago. 

3 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Yeah Boveda makes em and D'ad buys em from em and remarkets em. If you look on the pack of D'ad it says they are made by Boveda.