Gibson Brands Forums

Case for Vintage J-45

jheath

Hey Gang.  I'm a very sporadic poster around here but regularly come to poke around.  I have a late 40's J-45 that has recently undergone some fairly extensive restoration / repair and am looking for a suitable case for it.  I don't intend on hauling it around too much, very occasionally but want something that fits correctly.  I got the guitar with a non original clapboard case that was basically falling apart.  I have a fairly standard TKL that I've been using since, but it's standard dreadnought sized and doesn't fit the best.  I am also in Canada but if the right thing exists in the US, I can have it shipped.  I've been considering a Hiscox Pro II pretty seriously but again, not sure on fit.  A Calton or anything of that nature is not in the budget and probably not warranted for something that will be in the house 99.9% of the time.  Any suggestions?   Is there a good source out there for Gibson branded cases? 

Edited by jheath

I believe Gibson uses the same case for both Square Shoulder H'birds and Round Shoulder J45s.  Tight fit in different areas depending on which you're putting in. If you want something better fitting - you should bring your guitar with you to the largest, closest guitar specialty store.  Like bringing your feet with you when you go to buy a pair of shoes.   Otherwise, your idea of a perfect fit might be different than someone else's.  I'm happy with the standard 'one size fits all' that Gibson uses.  I think they're TKL still.  But a case maker, like SilverCreek that specifies a model that fits the J45 - would be as good as you'll likely get.  Some cases come with shims.  I guess that's a variation on the theme 'one size fits all'.  

Chances are no matter what name is on the case it falls under the TKL umbrella.  I believe though the Silver Creek cases are distributed/built by Music Link which also supplies Guardian cases.  

Me, I do not give a fig if the case is generic or built to fit a specific body.   I keep my '42 J50 in an Ameritage case.  The thing will survive being run over by a car but weighs as much as a boat anchor.  But I found an open box demo on Reverb so got it for $225.  I know companies like Cedar Creek will build you a case that is an exact fit.  Lately though I have been leaning toward Harptone.  Not the cheapest case around though.  

“The thing will survive being run over by a car but weighs as much as a boat anchor. “

Mine was run over by an suv. The Gibson case was totaled. The guitar headstock was repaired, & the J-45 still resides with me to this day.

I have three Hiscox cases they aren't Gibsons but all three fit as snug as a bug.  And I feel quite safe with my guitars stored in them, 

I travel from the US to Europe with regularity and have never worried about my guitars. Cant say the same before I got them.  Of coarse

Calton and the like may provide even more security but I cant justify the price difference. IMO

I also have a Hiscox Pro II and it fits my 1965, 1974, 2008 and 2020 J-50's perfectly. Went back and forth from Europe in the checked baggage with no problems. Got it from Elderly Instruments and they were nice enough to check the fit with a similar instument before I purchased, you might call them if you're concerned, they used to have a bunch of vintage Gibsons around. Their price was also the best, but that was back in 2014.

Have you seen @jt's post here? Those Crossrock cases also sound interesting and look nice.

Edited by Boyd

JH,  Thanks for  letting us all know how this ended.  Most folks come here with predicaments, large and small, but after getting all sorts of sage advice - never let us know what they would up doing - and/or why.   Good Luck with your J45 -   glad you're not keeping her in the cardboard case !  You might be able to find some stranger willing to buy it for it's nostalgic value and offset a good bit of what you paid for your new case!  Reverb says you can ask for $400 if in Very Good condition, though I wouldn't expect more than $150 for mine. 

• 7 months later...

This is the Pro II. As per my post above, it fits my 1965, 1974, 2007 and 2020 J-50's perfectly so a J-45 should be no problem. I believe I posted some pictures back in 2014 but the search function here leaves something to be desired. 😉

https://hiscoxcases.com/products/dreadnought-folk-style-hard-guitar-case-pro-ii-spec

Edited by Boyd
  • Like 1

I have my vintage SJs housed in a Calton and a Hiscox.

I have had Ameritage cases in the past. Gorgeous ... but my least favorite cases. They are heavier than a Calton but not sufficiently sturdy for use on airplane travel.