Gibson Brands Forums

KISStory

Sgt. Pepper

18 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Shame there's no DM function on here. I have a story pertaining to what we talked about, but I try to stay anonymous on here. I would be outed like a mofo. It's nothing illegal or anything, just... you'd get a laugh out of it.

I can PM you my e-mail if you like.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Shoot.

It says you can't receive messages. It may be full. Try to PM me and I'll see if I can send it to you or you may need to delete some messages.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Part two is tonight. But like I’ve been told I don’t have a life but I got a Martin two feet from me I’m gonna strum in a few minutes after the cornbread comes out of the oven for cornbread and chili tonight.

I was never a KISS fan, never owned any of their music, they weren't on the radio so didn't hear their material, never saw a concert of theirs.  I think I am a little too old to have been in on their scene even though I was actively touring and gigging in the mid seventies when they apparently got started and had their first couple albums out.  All I ever really knew about them was that they wore the crazy makeup and high platform boots.  So I watched quite a bit of the documentary and I must say I wasn't the least bit surprised by any of it.  Almost cliché R&R band story - started out humble and struggling, put out a couple albums, toured, then got a good promoter and became a huge money making success followed by drug and alcohol abuse, members getting fired, then coming back later, in fighting and above all EGO - EGO - EGO.  Simmons to this day seems quite full of himself.

I guess they did set the bar pretty high for a lot of fireworks on stage, extremely high volume, and spectacle.  But that seemed to be their biggest accomplishment, successful marketing of what wasn't all that great a product in terms of the music.  And it was other people that were responsible for the marketing success, not them, so it seems they were sort of puppets in a big magic show that they may have started themselves, but didn't really control for very long.  Seems two of them made a lot of money and for a couple of immigrants maybe that was their big dream?  I was never impressed with them at all and after seeing quite a bit of the documentary I'm still not impressed.   

34 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Almost cliché R&R band story - started out humble and struggling, put out a couple albums, toured, then got a good promoter and became a huge money making success followed by drug and alcohol abuse, members getting fired, then coming back later, in fighting and above all EGO - EGO - EGO.  Simmons to this day seems quite full of himself.

But that seemed to be their biggest accomplishment, successful marketing of what wasn't all that great a product in terms of the music.  And it was other people that were responsible for the marketing success, not them, so it seems they were sort of puppets in a big magic show that they may have started themselves, but didn't really control for very long.  

Did you see the part in the show where Gene admits this? He flat out says that one of his biggest problems was/is his ego!  I've never heard him say that before, ever . But he said it.  He knows how others perceive him in that way.  And he said he regrets it. 

Besides, the list of musicians who have an ego, well let's just say that list would go on for miles!  [smile]

And their biggest accomplishment is selling multiple platinum albums. 

They did that themselves with the music they created. 

2 hours ago, brad1 said:

Did you see the part in the show where Gene admits this? He flat out says that one of his biggest problems was/is his ego!  I've never heard him say that before, ever . But he said it.  He knows how others perceive him in that way.  And he said he regrets it. 

Besides, the list of musicians who have an ego, well let's just say that list would go on for miles!  [smile]

And their biggest accomplishment is selling multiple platinum albums. 

They did that themselves with the music they created. 

When Dynasty came out I checked out. That was not my KISS, and then it only got worse (for me at least). The three times I saw them live was damn entertaining. Yeah none of them were the worlds most accomplished musicians, but neither were the Sex Pistols or The New York Doll or The Ramones or The Stooges and the list could go on too with hundreds more bands.

Gene and Paul were not into drugs. Ace and Peter were. The doc was okay and maybe 2.5 hours to long. Destroyer was really the last hurrah. You could tell by Rock And Roll Over it was about to be over and Love Gun was them just barley cutting the mustard. And like I said Dynasty to me was a joke.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The very last show they play they should have every member of KISS that is still alive come out and at least play one song from that era, and maybe pay them too. Would Gene play without getting paid that is a NOPE.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 6/28/2021 at 11:18 PM, Whitefang said:

:rolleyes: So why don't you two just get a room?  [wink]

You ain't the only ones  here likes to yank chains and have fun!  [flapper]

Whitefang

We got a conference room. Smugfest '21, we called it. 

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the topic. I haven't watched the documentary yet but will probably watch at some point. 

I was at a KISS show in about 1985 at the Baltimore Civic Center. I'm not sure what album they were promoting or who opened for them. Maybe Twisted Sister? But both Bruce Kulik and Mark St John took turns playing. I think Mark was sick or something. Then Paul Stanley told everyone to just get out of their seats and come up to the stage. Of course we all did even though Security tried their best to stop us. I wound up against the guard rail right in front of the stage. The security guy kept trying to get me to move back but there were thousands of people behind be and I couldn't back up if I wanted to. I was kinda worried that I would be crushed against the railing if the crowd surged forward any more. The guy I was with caught a drumstick. I remenber those things more than the actual music.     

On 7/1/2021 at 2:09 PM, Pinch said:

Blissfully ignorant of what that even means 🙂

Actually, it's a kind of personal phrase I use.  Based on when something  someone reads or hears "zooms" over their heads.  [wink]

Whitefang