Gibson Brands Forums

DOES ANYONE ELSE WANT TO SEE A REISSUE OF THE GRABBER?

EdGrabber

I’m seriously infatuated with the the original, natural finish gibson grabber. Ive wanted one since I was a 15yo watching Thrice and Green Day music videos. My trouble is that now that I’m  older and have “grown up money”, I can’t seem to find one for sale that is in a condition worthy of the 2.5k+ Price tag. These basses seem to be sought after and sell very quickly on 2nd hand sites like reverb. I’m wondering why Gibson has not recently reissued this bass. I think most bass players would love to see this make a return in the Gibson line up. Am I alone here?

I understand Gibson only produced them for 10 years.  Possibly(for some reason) not a big enough seller to continue them.  But they did a 2009 reissue of 350 of the single pick-up models. 

I don't play bass, so it wouldn't bother me if Gibson reissued them, or not.   But they are/were fairly nice looking axes.

Whitefang

I didn't know that there was a Gibson bass known as The Grabber, and frankly didn't care then and don't care now.

I thought that Edgrabber was referring to the Slim Whitman High-Note Grabber that came out in the sixties or seventies. 

Basically two finger cymbals that squeezed one's testicles to attain those reeeeeally high notes like Slim did. 

I'd bet the Bee Gees and Frankie Valli are still sore and having flashbacks, so put me down for a " no" for both.

RBSinTo

On 11/1/2021 at 12:57 PM, RBSinTo said:

I didn't know that there was a Gibson bass known as The Grabber, and frankly didn't care then and don't care now.

I thought that Edgrabber was referring to the Slim Whitman High-Note Grabber that came out in the sixties or seventies. 

Basically two finger cymbals that squeezed one's testicles to attain those reeeeeally high notes like Slim did. 

I'd bet the Bee Gees and Frankie Valli are still sore and having flashbacks, so put me down for a " no" for both.

RBSinTo

You never saw this album cover growing up. I wore this out as an 11 year old.

FSKG73P.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You never saw this album cover growing up. I wore this out as an 11 year old.

FSKG73P.jpg

Chief,

I've mentioned this before. 

With few exceptions, I am a fan of songs, rather than particular artists or groups.

I wouldn't know a member of Kiss ( except for Gene Simmonds, because I've seen him on TV) if they ran me over, and I have never knowingly heard or played any of their songs.

On another level, they look so idiotic in those silly costumes that I'd be embarrassed to attend one of their concerts.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

I've mentioned this before. 

With few exceptions, I am a fan of songs, rather than particular artists or groups.

I wouldn't know a member of Kiss ( except for Gene Simmonds, because I've seen him on TV) if they ran me over, and I have never knowingly heard or played any of their songs.

On another level, they look so idiotic in those silly costumes that I'd be embarrassed to attend ony of their concerts.

RBSinTo

They blow  a lot of s-hit up. I've seen 'em 4 times and they are a fun concert. Gene is a huge bag with a d-ouch attached to it though.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm not are you a sad emoji adder to all my posts? You say you don't but some how it always happens when you are online here.

your emoji obsession is so funny it  makes me want to give ya one...

34 minutes ago, jvi said:

your emoji obsession is so funny it  makes me want to give ya one...

Seems funny how all of a sudden I got one for all the 18 or so posts I made and there you are on line. It didn't happen before that. I'm no detective but I can put 2 and 2 together.

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Seems funny how all of a sudden I got one for all the 18 or so posts I made and there you are on line. It didn't happen before that. I'm no detective but I can put 2 and 2 together.

sorry pep but wasnt me...

Back in another life I traded in a a 4001 for a Ripper that I loved. But the Ripper was not quite a a Grabber. Gibson can build good full scale Bass's..

gibson-the-ripper-65628.jpg

One thing you never want is a bass with neck dive, like one of the Mosrite's I had, it was good sounding bass but having to constantly hold the neck up was a b I t c h..

Edited by mihcmac

On 10/27/2021 at 9:22 AM, EdGrabber said:

I’m seriously infatuated with the the original, natural finish gibson grabber. Ive wanted one since I was a 15yo watching Thrice and Green Day music videos. My trouble is that now that I’m  older and have “grown up money”, I can’t seem to find one for sale that is in a condition worthy of the 2.5k+ Price tag. These basses seem to be sought after and sell very quickly on 2nd hand sites like reverb. I’m wondering why Gibson has not recently reissued this bass. I think most bass players would love to see this make a return in the Gibson line up. Am I alone here?

The former Levi's/Mars/M&M, and now Gibson CEO is there to get them out of debt. If that would do it they would build it, but as of right now the share holders want their money back and probably don't know what a Grabber is.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

OK, I have to be honest. I gave you a few just because of the thread. Only having a laugh. Some other people probably did the same.

At least you are man enough to admit it. I guess everyone needs a hobby. I think I have given out 3 in the entire time I've been here.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

They'll probably stop if you stop reacting. Was only poking fun because you made a thread about it.

It's a silly feature. They should just get rid of it. Adds no UX value at all. If it wasn't anonymous it would be better. I don't think I've ever used it before.

I understand. Keep adding if you need to. Like I said everyone needs a hobby. 

I reacted cause am used to one or 2, but when got like 19 all in matter of 2 minutes, I thought some dude wanted my hot man meat and was stalking me.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The former Levi's/Mars/M&M, and now Gibson CEO is there to get them out of debt. If that would do it they would build it, but as of right now the share holders want their money back and probably don't know what a Grabber is.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:48 AM, Whitefang said:

I understand Gibson only produced them for 10 years.  Possibly(for some reason) not a big enough seller to continue them.  But they did a 2009 reissue of 350 of the single pick-up models. 

I don't play bass, so it wouldn't bother me if Gibson reissued them, or not.   But they are/were fairly nice looking axes.

Whitefang

I’m sure they had a reason to discontinue the bass. It’s honestly a strange bass. A strange instrument for that matter. I’ve personally never seen a guitar/bass have a pick up that slides to change its tone. It’s body style is quite unique as well. The reissue’s are even harder to find for some reason. However, the reissue was a bit different from the original. I prefer the original. 

Ed

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Back in another life I traded in a a 4001 for a Ripper that I loved. But the Ripper was not quite a a Grabber. Gibson can build good full scale Bass's..

gibson-the-ripper-65628.jpg

One thing you never want is a bass with neck dive, like one of the Mosrite's I had, it was good sounding bass but having to constantly hold the neck up was a b I t c h..

Great looking bass! I love this era of Gibson. The grabber, ripper, marauder were all so cool. I’m sure you traded it for something awesom! Thanks for sharing a pic!

Ed

On 11/1/2021 at 10:18 AM, Mr. Natural said:

The only people who want to see a re-issue of the Grabber are people who's last name is Grabber.

Myself, I prefer guitars and basses with a natural finish.

I’m confused, the grabber has natural finish. Also, do you think my last name is really Grabber? …..ahhh…wait, as I’m typing I’m getting the joke. I’m slow. Good one Mr. Natural! Haha.

On 10/27/2021 at 5:56 PM, sparquelito said:

I have always loved the Gibson Grabber bass. 

But my affection was rooted in slightly earlier artists than Green Day. 

🙂

3775ab32eba7a67a616afe51ff82dbe5.jpg

The OG of the grabber. I’m an 80’s baby, started hanging out in CD stores in the mid 90’s when Green Day was huge and I gravitated towards  that. All that aside, that is a dope bass! Looks even cooler in his hands. 

Ed