Gibson Brands Forums

GAS under control... maybe

merciful-evans

7 hours ago, zigzag said:

I went into a brick and mortar shop to buy a Godin 5th Avenue, but got side tracked and tested an Ibanez AFJ91 against an Epiphone Joe Pass. The Ibanez played and sounded MUCH better, so I walked out of the shop with it. The AFJ91's tailpiece cracked on its own within the first year, and I replaced it with a tailpiece from All Parts. I bought it to play jazz, and it was more than adequate. These days, I don't play traditional jazz, so I don't really want it anymore, and it doesn't get played. Of the eight guitars I currently own, I may get rid of it for that reason... should have bought the Godin. But don't get me wrong... except for the tailpiece, it is a very good value.

gNY4Ttu.jpg

I must confess that I love Godin, and I have even owned a 5th Avenue (a 2016 Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin P90), and it was lovely. 
It was gorgeous to look at. 

But to be honest, it felt and sounded thin to me. Insubstantial. 
My Ibanez, and my previous Ibanez AF's, all sounded much more rich and warm. 
I don't know if I'm saying that right. 

My current AF71 may just be my last one, and it's a keeper. 
And I played it back in the spring for my sister up in New Hampshire as she lay there dying of cancer, so it's got a lot of sentimental spirit in it. 
She's in it somehow, for me. 

And I'm definitely not saying that right. 
But it is what it is. 
😐

14 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I must confess that I love Godin, and I have even owned a 5th Avenue (a 2016 Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin P90), and it was lovely. 
It was gorgeous to look at. 

But to be honest, it felt and sounded thin to me. Insubstantial. 

I tried out a used Godin 5th Avenue in Exeter in 2015. It was one of the the best handling guitars I've ever tried. I would have have bought it, but the sound was uninteresting. 

Actually Guitar Village do have 2 interesting Gibson L5s , but they are 60s/50s and cost £6,000 & £9,000 respectively. Far too much for the likes of me. The 6k one even has neck heel damage. 

52 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Mm. Pre-broken headstock. 

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The ones with re-glued headstocks are the 15k ones. They have a person rest the guitar against an amp and push it till it falls over and breaks the headstock, its very scientific.

Yes - not seen that (deliberate fracture) before. 

I found one of these for sale online (in the EU) recently, in prime condition.  Framus Nashville.  It was a bit expensive; I was very tempted, but held out for the s/h ES-139.

Framus-Nashville.jpg

I like it, always did - I'm still tempted though I've never played one.

Or (just trying to help M-E control his GAS) one of these.....[love]!

The 1970s Les Paul Signature, a cut-down 335 with low and high impedance outputs.  Also found in a gold-top finish.  Were the pickups by B Lawrence?  J.J. Cale put one (or 2) of them in his legendary Harmony Sovereign.

LPSig-Sunburst.jpg

And I also recently spotted this L7 with 2 De Armonds fitted....wow!

Gibson-L7-CDe-Armonds.jpg

However as these transports of delight are waaay  up there in price......I think Ibanez is a good shout.

[wink]

Edited by jdgm