Gibson Brands Forums

Does my tailpiece on my studio is to high ?

Deam

After a few hours i was able to setup my studio very well and im overall pretty happy.

Just one thing, i had to max out my tailpiece as else the strings would have touched the edge of the bridge.

Should i keep the tailpiece maxed out ? (I could imagine it could lead to a lot of tension to the screws)

Or would it be better to make the strings touch the edge of the bridge ?

Another important question, i have read the recommanded pickup height is around 1,6mm for bridge and 2,4mm neck.

What is the minimum distance the pickups should have to the strings ? (As i like a brighter sound which seem to be the case as closer the pickups get)

IMG_20211205_214114.jpg

The bridge pickup visible is high and extremely close to the strings, and if you could lower that and the other pickup you could also lower the bridge and the tailpiece, thus bringing the strings back close to the pickup....everything down a bit in other words.  Obviously all depends on neck angle and adjustment.

🎸

43 minutes ago, Deam said:

After a few hours i was able to setup my studio very well and im overall pretty happy.

Just one thing, i had to max out my tailpiece as else the strings would have touched the edge of the bridge.

Should i keep the tailpiece maxed out ? (I could imagine it could lead to a lot of tension to the screws)

Or would it be better to make the strings touch the edge of the bridge ?

Another important question, i have read the recommanded pickup height is around 1,6mm for bridge and 2,4mm neck.

What is the minimum distance the pickups should have to the strings ? (As i like a brighter sound which seem to be the case as closer the pickups get)

IMG_20211205_214114.jpg

The strings should not be touching the back of the bridge, looks like a Nashville bridge on your guitar. I definitely would do a overwrap on your guitar. Lower the stoptail flush to the body and feed the strings over the stoptail.....hope this helps......

Thanks for your answers.

@jdgmi cant bring down everything a bit as i have setup it up for string action already. I have a string action of 1,6mm low E and 1,4mm high E.

@SG Sydney if i understood it correctly you mean i should add the strings through the tailpiece reversed ? In direction to the bottom and over the tailpiece and then in direction to the top ? That would be an awesome idea if that would work! Havent seen that once. Thanks.

I don't think the guitar is adjusted correctly as noted that bridge pickup is way high

Capo fret 1, hold high/Low E at 14th fret.

Measure at 7th fret between 4 and 8 thou

That's your neck relief 

Hold down fret 1, at 12th fret measure should be like 4/64

With last fret held down , top of pickup poles of the E's should be around 3/64ths or 4/64ths

That should allow you to lower bridge and stop tail

There are 2 trains of thought 

Those that say strings should not touch back of bridge, 

Those that say doesn't matter

Which camp your in is your choice. 

Remember that there are 2 points of contact that make the notes

And that's everything between the nut and bridge saddles. 

On either side of those 2 points won't make your notes

Edited by Eracer_Team

@Eracer_Team thanks for your answer, i followed the recommandations with my settings.

My neck relief is 0,25mm-0,3mm and whitin the recommandations of 0.2mm-0,5mm.  The string action is 1,6mm low E and 1,4mm high E, so i unluckily cant go lower with the bridge.

The pickup height is around 0,7mm (3/64ths would be around 1,1mm), but it sounds really nice at this distance. I really like the bright tone this pickups can make if you bring them close.

2 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

All good info, but, with the nashville Bridge I wouldn't worry about string contact. The posts are pretty thick. On a abr1 it's conceivable that the bridge could be pushed over on the thinner posts. 

And re pup hight. I find Gibson humberbuckers sound best way lower than spec. Give it a try. Wind them a good 5mm down and adjust up as necessary. I find this reduces muddiness and increases articulation and note separation. You may find otherwise, of course. 

Best advice in the thread so far! Couldn't agree more! 

13 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Appologies but my inner pedant just got the better of me

Does the tailpiece on my studio seem too high?

Is the tailpiece on my studio too high?

Im not native english ^^ its my third language. 

Well master luthier and gibson itself advice a pickup height of 3/64 which translate to 1,2mm and they clarified 3/64 is not a minimum value and there is slightly range to lower.

Anyway i tried to record different pickup heights with my Katana where i couldnt hear a lot of difference but while playing live closer value like 3/64 sound a lot brighter/ more treble so i will keep it that way.

And thanks to @SG Sydneyi like the way how he adviced to adjust my tailpiece a lot.

Thanks.

Edited by Deam

1 minute ago, Deam said:

Im not native english ^^ its my third language. 

Well master luthier and gibson itself advice a pickup height of 3/64 which translate to 1,2mm and they clarified 3/64 is not a minimum value and there is slightly range to lower.

Anyway i tried to record different pickup heights with my Katana where i couldnt hear a lot of difference but while playing live closer value like 3/64 sound a lot brighter/ more treble so i will keep it that way.

Thanks.

Deam, you are way ahead of me with your languages. I had not noticed. Glad you hadn't taken offence and got some useful advice from some of the fellows.