Gibson Brands Forums

Is this hummingbird legit? URGENT

Nikolaj2121

20 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Looks legit to me.

I know virtually nothing about the minutae of Gibson acoustic guitars, but I do know that if I was going to take a non-Gibson and re-work it  to appear to be a genuine Gibson dreadnought Bird guitar, so I could sell it for some thousands of dollars, I would make it real looking enough that five photos posted on an internet site wouldn't allow someone to judge its authenticity.

RBSinTo

It looks fine - it's a Vintage version with adjustable (probably) tusq saddle. 

25 minutes ago, Nikolaj2121 said:

Hey Rob. What do you look for when you try to decide if its fake or not?

A bit of everything. You over-fly the creature and check it all. Nothing strrrange here. . 

1 minute ago, E-minor7 said:

It looks fine - it's a Vintage version with adjustable (probably) tusq saddle. 

A bit of everything. You over-fly the creature and check it all. Nothing strrrange here. . 

What about the screws on the bridge is that normal? And what about the serial numbers, I think it looks a bit weird that the tuning pegs is going over the serial numbers.

1 minute ago, Nikolaj2121 said:

What about the screws on the bridge is that normal? And what about the serial numbers, I think it looks a bit weird that the tuning pegs is going over the serial numbers.

It’s one of those adjustable bridges models that some like but many don’t.

22 minutes ago, Nikolaj2121 said:

As said, it's the adjustable bridge/saddle concept - a replica of the originals from the 60s. Those oldies would have had either ceramic or rosewood inserts (the white saddle) - the one in question has a tusq version, which creates a different sound. You must be aware of this because the difference between the originals and the tusq is quite big - BUT MORE IMPORTANT, the difference between the adjustable and an ordinary 'modern' bone saddle is even bigger.  

If you haven't compared the 2 (3), it would be hazardous to buy it. You gotta know what you're after and what you do when goin' for a high-end guitar. Can you try out it live ?

21 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Might be a Bozeman issued "1960 Hummingbird."  

Yes, right on.

21 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Ironically an original 1960 HB did not have an ADJ saddle bridge.  Go figure.  

What, sir ⁉️ - can you elaborate or show pics. . 

7 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

As said, it's the adjustable bridge/saddle concept - a replica of the originals from the 60s. Those oldies would have had either ceramic or rosewood inserts (the white saddle) - the one in question has a tusq version, which creates a different sound. You must be aware of this because the difference between the originals and the tusq is quite big - BUT MORE IMPORTANT, the difference between the adjustable and an ordinary 'modern' bone saddle is even bigger.  

If you haven't compared the 2 (3), it would be hazardous to buy it. You gotta know what you're after and what you do when goin' for a high-end guitar. Can you try out it live ?

Yes I can try it live, however I just want a hummingbird. And this one is fairly cheap, so I just need to know if its legit. The serial number is: 03370025 is there anyway this can help me authenticate it? 

1 hour ago, Nikolaj2121 said:

Hey Rob. What do you look for when you try to decide if its fake or not?

There are much better advisors in this forum than me....but I didn't see anything that would make me question it.

Not knowing the history, e.g. who's selling, cost, plays right, sounds right, etc...etc..etc...

2 hours ago, Nikolaj2121 said:

Yes I can try it live, however I just want a hummingbird. And this one is fairly cheap, so I just need to know if its legit. The serial number is: 03370025 is there anyway this can help me authenticate it? 

The # dates it to 2000, which surprises me as I didn't know Bozeman made adjustable bridges/saddles at that point and still see the guitar as recent product.                                                                                                                                                    In this way confused and sat back, I have to withdraw and watch wiser people chime in. Pardon. 

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

. . .  and still see the guitar as recent product.                                                                                                                                                    In this way confused and sat back, I have to withdraw and watch wiser 

Yes, it does look like a legit recent issue Hummingbird. Gibson had started doing the thin finish-thing like your 'Bird in question looks to have. That thin finish ends up giving an orange peel effect, rather than a high gloss shine. Are you sure that first digit hiding under the tuner isn't a "2" ?

2 hours ago, 62burst said:

Yes, it does look like a legit recent issue Hummingbird. Gibson had started doing the thin finish-thing like your 'Bird in question looks to have. That thin finish ends up giving an orange peel effect, rather than a high gloss shine. Are you sure that first digit hiding under the tuner isn't a "2" ?

Assume this is for Nikolaj.

Yet I thought the same thing,  though wondering 9 instead of 2. 

Edited by E-minor7

The serial number you gave does indeed date to 2000.

A picture of the label would be helpful.  In 2000, the correct label would have the Gibson logo, with the words “Tone, Feel, Appearance” surrounding it in a circular manner.  It should be orange in color, and have a serial number matching the headstock.

In 2000, the standard production Hummingbird did not have an adjustable bridge, but a special order or limited run may have occurred.

Label looks like the orange version.    Everything looks legit.  Too many small details (tuners, pick guard, endpin, torque nut cover, finish, inlays, etc.) look right - and, to RBSin's point, would be too expensive to fake for the copier to turn a profit.   Only question I have - I don't see a 'Made In USA' stamp under the s/n.    Did Bozeman mis-align the s/n and decide to leave it off?   Depending on the price, I'd snap this one up.

17 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

As said, it's the adjustable bridge/saddle concept - a replica of the originals from the 60s. Those oldies would have had either ceramic or rosewood inserts (the white saddle) - the one in question has a tusq version, which creates a different sound.

Looks exactly like the contemporary adjustable bridge on my 2020 J-50 60's original. I also have a real 1965 J-50 with a rosewood adjustable bridge. I really love the sound of the new guitar with the tusq saddle, but I don't know anything about Hummingbirds.

18 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

What, sir ⁉️ - can you elaborate or show pics. . 

You are right.  Brain fart on my part.  

Oddly though I have found over the past two years or so I have tended to lose interest in guitars. Maybe it is I cannot recall what it is I liked about them.  A month or so back I was in shop which had a  bunch of old guitars for sale including a Larson Brothers.  There was a time my brain would have immediately started to work out a strategy to get me that guitar.  But this time I just gave it a passing nod acknowledging it was a "nice guitar" as I walked out not giving it a second thought. 

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

You are right.  Brain fart on my part.  

Oddly though I have found over the past two years or so I have tended to lose interest in guitars. Maybe it is I cannot recall what it is I liked about them.  A month or so back I was in shop which had a  bunch of old guitars for sale including a Larson Brothers.  There was a time my brain would have immediately started to work out a strategy to get me that guitar.  But this time I just gave it a passing nod acknowledging it was a "nice guitar" as I walked out not giving it a second thought. 

Just promise yourself this doesn't happen with the other birds - U know, the soft ones. 

And don't let your warehouse of knowledge evaporate into thin air. Haven't forgot you were my first guide in the maze of the squares over a decade ago. Still appreciated.  

9 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Oddly though I have found over the past two years or so I have tended to lose interest in guitars. Maybe it is I cannot recall what it is I liked about them.

Maybe you've been losing interest in guitars, but at least that doesn't stop you from still talking about them.

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Just promise yourself this doesn't happen with the other birds - U know, the soft ones. 

Maybe it's like sex, less happening, but more talking about it.

This is from a 1962 HB. 

TtfhbBs.jpg

I am no expert on modern Gibson "Vintage Models."

I do have 50+ old Gibsons -- mostly 1900-1954, but a few 60s.  I can't tell for sure what this is.  My guess is it a new Gibson "Vintage" model -- they build a dizzying  number of those, almost none with actual correct vintage features.

Best,

-Tom