Gibson Brands Forums

I was informed last night that.

Retired

Walk Don't Run was the second song I tried to play on the guitar when I was first learning....(Apache was the first).

I never did either very well....but they got me started!

RIP, Don...and Long Live The Ventures!

I used to make Christmas Cards every year featuring our dogs.

I think this one is from the early 2000's.

Open photo (PS...that says "PUGS" not "PUSS).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Walk Don't Run was the second song I tried to play on the guitar when I was first learning....(Apache was the first).

Open photo (PS...that says "PUGS" not "PUSS).

I played Pipeline. Actually, I still do as its a typical warm up song I have been playing ever since. Walk Don't Run is another one.  I used to play Hawaii 5 O a lot too. 

9 hours ago, Retired said:

I played Pipeline. Actually, I still do as its a typical warm up song I have been playing ever since. Walk Don't Run is another one.  I used to play Hawaii 5 O a lot too. 

Do you recall when they switched from Fender Guitars to Mosrite Guitars?

As I recall they used to play a Strat, either a Jazz Master or Jaguar and a P-Bass.... was the PERFECT blend!

I used to play the Mosrite's in the Music Store... they were FANTASTIC.... but the neck a little too thin for me.

10 hours ago, Retired said:

The Venture's "Pipeline" was a cover of the CHANTAYS original.  And not really all that hard to play.  But either version(The Chantay's or The Ventures) was cool.  They did other tunes, as "covers" that you'd never think a rock'n'roll guitar band would bother with.   Like----

To give an idea of what I mean, here's a more "traditional" version.  [wink]

Whitefang

21 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Open photo (PS...that says "PUGS" not "PUSS)

I can see it says Pugs and did not even think for one second it said Puss.

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

The Venture's "Pipeline" was a cover of the CHANTAYS original.  And not really all that hard to play.  But either version(The Chantay's or The Ventures) was cool.  They did other tunes, as "covers" that you'd never think a rock'n'roll guitar band would bother with.   Like----

To give an idea of what I mean, here's a more "traditional" version.  [wink]

Whitefang

The second is more orchestra, I loved those Mozrite guitar tones. They had a great Twang to them. 

3 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Do you recall when they switched from Fender Guitars to Mosrite Guitars?

As I recall they used to play a Strat, either a Jazz Master or Jaguar and a P-Bass.... was the PERFECT blend!

I used to play the Mosrite's in the Music Store... they were FANTASTIC.... but the neck a little too thin for me.

I would have to look up the dates when they played different guitars. Although, I thought it was a big improvement in sound when they switched to the Mosrite's. I thought they were made especially for the Ventures at that time? I never saw one in person so never got to play one. The closest I ever came to that Surf like tones was buying my Vintage, Modified Jaguar.  It is Surf Green. I was going to head to Guitar Center to get it when Debbie stopped me and wanted to go with me. She insisted on buying it for me.  Yeah, I know? She has bought me most of my guitars probably because I sold All the ones I had before I married her as the house we had was too small. 

1 minute ago, Retired said:

I would have to look up the dates when they played different guitars. Although, I thought it was a big improvement in sound when they switched to the Mosrite's. I thought they were made especially for the Ventures at that time? I never saw one in person so never got to play one. The closest I ever came to that Surf like tones was buying my Vintage, Modified Jaguar.  It is Surf Green. I was going to head to Guitar Center to get it when Debbie stopped me and wanted to go with me. She insisted on buying it for me.  Yeah, I know? She has bought me most of my guitars probably because I sold All the ones I had before I married her as the house we had was too small. 

I greatly miss my Jaguar..... do you have a photo of yours?

Here's a photo my brother had and sent to me recently.

May be an image of guitar and indoor

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

I greatly miss my Jaguar..... do you have a photo of yours?

Here's a photo my brother had and sent to me recently.

May be an image of guitar and indoor

If I could post a photo I would, That is one thing I should see if our son can help figure my problem out doing it.  Yes, My Jag looks the same as far as style. It is all shiny new looking metal, White pick guard like that and Surf Green paint. Rosewood finger board neck and the headstock is buff , clear light tan.  It shines so much, I can't play it with my Doberman in the same room. It shines a bright lite on the walls & ceiling as it moves about and he won't shut up barking at the spot light it flashes. Haha. 

28 minutes ago, Retired said:

If I could post a photo I would, That is one thing I should see if our son can help figure my problem out doing it.  Yes, My Jag looks the same as far as style. It is all shiny new looking metal, White pick guard like that and Surf Green paint. Rosewood finger board neck and the headstock is buff , clear light tan.  It shines so much, I can't play it with my Doberman in the same room. It shines a bright lite on the walls & ceiling as it moves about and he won't shut up barking at the spot light it flashes. Haha. 

Years ago I got a "Photobucket" account and posted photos there....so then you could just move them here....but Photobucket now is holding all the photos hostage until/unless I pay them money.... so screw 'em... I send photos to myself in Messenger.... the  just drag them into the forum.

From wiki

Guitars[edit]

During their first years (1958–1961), the Ventures played Fender guitars (a Jazzmaster, a Stratocaster and a Precision Bass) for both their live performances and their recording sessions. These instruments are prominently visible on the covers of two early albums: The Ventures and The Colorful Ventures. From 1962 to 1963 they used two Jazzmasters with a Precision Bass, shown on the album cover of "Bobby Vee meets The Ventures". Then in early 1963, California guitar manufacturer Mosrite re-branded their uniquely styled, futuristic-looking Mark 1 electric guitar model for the Ventures by applying decals that stated "The Ventures Model" on the headstock. The band adopted these guitars (which included a bass model) and first used them on The Ventures in Space (1963), one of their most influential albums because of the unique, otherworldly guitar sounds it contained. From 1963 through 1968, a statement on their album covers announced that the Ventures used Mosrite guitars "exclusively" (the Ventures and designer Semie Moseley were partners in the distribution of these instruments). After the expiration of their contract with Moseley, the Ventures returned to playing mainly Fender guitars. Only rarely have they used Mosrite guitars since that contract ended.

In the mid-1990s, Fender issued a limited edition Ventures Signature Series of guitars consisting of a Jazzmaster, a Stratocaster, and a Fender Jazz Bass, all with specifications determined by the band.

Aria Guitars and Wilson Brothers Guitars have subsequently issued Ventures Signature Model instruments. The Wilson Brothers guitar, in particular, is closely modeled physically on the original Mosrite design.

4 hours ago, Dave F said:

From wiki

Guitars[edit]

During their first years (1958–1961), the Ventures played Fender guitars (a Jazzmaster, a Stratocaster and a Precision Bass) for both their live performances and their recording sessions. These instruments are prominently visible on the covers of two early albums: The Ventures and The Colorful Ventures. From 1962 to 1963 they used two Jazzmasters with a Precision Bass, shown on the album cover of "Bobby Vee meets The Ventures". Then in early 1963, California guitar manufacturer Mosrite re-branded their uniquely styled, futuristic-looking Mark 1 electric guitar model for the Ventures by applying decals that stated "The Ventures Model" on the headstock. The band adopted these guitars (which included a bass model) and first used them on The Ventures in Space (1963), one of their most influential albums because of the unique, otherworldly guitar sounds it contained. From 1963 through 1968, a statement on their album covers announced that the Ventures used Mosrite guitars "exclusively" (the Ventures and designer Semie Moseley were partners in the distribution of these instruments). After the expiration of their contract with Moseley, the Ventures returned to playing mainly Fender guitars. Only rarely have they used Mosrite guitars since that contract ended.

In the mid-1990s, Fender issued a limited edition Ventures Signature Series of guitars consisting of a Jazzmaster, a Stratocaster, and a Fender Jazz Bass, all with specifications determined by the band.

Aria Guitars and Wilson Brothers Guitars have subsequently issued Ventures Signature Model instruments. The Wilson Brothers guitar, in particular, is closely modeled physically on the original Mosrite design.

I live in Newport News, VA and one day I was at the shop of the lady who used to do my set ups and work on my guitars. Her name is Marguritte. On that day a guy was in her shop when I was there and he was dropping off a Mosrite to get worked on. She asked if I new who he was? I said no. She introduced us and told me he was probably one of the most knowledgeable guys in the USA on Mosrite and its history. I can't remember his name.  Marguritte worked with Jim Merrill if you know who he is, I do,  and she was a great tech and luthier, but got nerve damage and had to stop working. 

That was the only Mosrite I ever saw in person.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I found an old Ventures LP at a thrift store("The Ventures Play Telstar and The Lonely Bull")  and in the back cover's liner notes, under "personnel"  it stated  "Don Wilson; Rhythm  guitar" and next, "Nokie Edwards; "Base" guitar" .    Then Bob Bogle playing both Bass and lead guitar.   That "base" guitar thing threw me off a bit.

But the other guitar player in the band I was in had a Ventures model Mosrite.  Damn thing had great action.  But as far as Mosrite guitars go, I leaned more to the Mosrite Combo.

Whitefang

19 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I found an old Ventures LP at a thrift store("The Ventures Play Telstar and The Lonely Bull")  and in the back cover's liner notes, under "personnel"  it stated  "Don Wilson; Rhythm  guitar" and next, "Nokie Edwards; "Base" guitar" .    Then Bob Bogle playing both Bass and lead guitar.   That "base" guitar thing threw me off a bit.

But the other guitar player in the band I was in had a Ventures model Mosrite.  Damn thing had great action.  But as far as Mosrite guitars go, I leaned more to the Mosrite Combo.

Whitefang

My father in law passed away about 4 years ago and he was of the era of car crusin' in the early 60's. I went thought his collection to take a peak and he had about 8 Ventures albums, some in Mono and Pet Sounds in Mono. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

My father in law passed away about 4 years ago and he was of the era of car crusin' in the early 60's. I went thought his collection to take a peak and he had about 8 Ventures albums, some in Mono and Pet Sounds in Mono. 

I may put an arrangement together of Apache....now that I've listened to it a few times....I especially like The Shadow's version!

Might be interesting on an acoustic!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Years ago I got a "Photobucket" account and posted photos there....so then you could just move them here....but Photobucket now is holding all the photos hostage until/unless I pay them money.... so screw 'em... I send photos to myself in Messenger.... the  just drag them into the forum.

I used to have photo bucket also & it worked. What's messenger? Is that part of Facebook? I got off that years ago as I couldn't stand all the bickering and fighting. (Mostly from all the Railroad workers who were my friends.)  I have an Imgur account but troubles getting in my photos.