Gibson Brands Forums

Early Rush 1974

Rabs

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Man they changed a lot since ‘74, and for the better. The Zep thing was already done better by this band called Led Zeppelin.

Love Rush saw them 8 times.

Ha...  I had very similar thoughts, especially on the solos... Cool old footage though.. I saw Rush once, great gig..

Edited by Rabs

7 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I read that he left the band because he was at odds with the other two.

This is from the net so take it with a grain. I also own the doc Beyond The Lighted Stage and it came from their mouths too.

Rutsey played drums with Rush from 1968 to 1974, as well as on the band's eponymous debut album, but departed soon afterwards, apparently due to a lifelong illness stemming from diabetes. ... He was replaced by Neil Peart.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Wow, that's pre Peart!

yep  it is..   I picked out that right away

Rush is the only band that I can say "Every time they came around... I was there."

I'd go again, in heart beat.

RIP Neil.

Rutsey left the band for health reasons,  their "at the time" manager convinced him that if he continued on, he would probably be dead in a few years. 

btw, look up "Beyond The Lighted Stage" sometime.  something any and every Rush fan should watch at least once if you've not already.

Edited by kidblast

4 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Rush is the only band that I can say "Every time they came around... I was there."

btw, look up "Beyond The Lighted Stage" sometime.  something any and every Rush fan should watch at least once if you've not already.

I saw them every time I could to. Once I joined the service and lived all over the place it was hard to see them. I got 8 shows under my belt. Yes the doc is great and I love the musicians on the doc who love Rush, and bust their balls about the synth years.

Alex to to the control room - "I want more Reverb"

Control room to Alex - "You sound like s-hit with reverb".

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Y'know, both Rush and this band had debut albums released close to the same time(in the same year--'75)  and for a short time I often confused one with the other.

Can you guess why?  [wink]

Whitefang

yea he does have a bit of "Geddy" there..  never heard this before

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw them every time I could to. Once I joined the service and lived all over the place it was hard to see them. I got 8 shows under my belt. Yes the doc is great and I love the musicians on the doc who love Rush busting their balls about the synth years.

8s good!  I think I've got 11 or 12..  The first time I saw them live was at a place called "The Fitchburg Theater"  next town over from my place of birth.

It was right after Carress of Steel   We were sitting on the edge of a walkway seating area.

They open up with Bastille Day, I just looked at my buddy and with this "Holy F---!" look on my face that was it.. I was in for life

Edited by kidblast

10 minutes ago, kidblast said:

8s good!  I think I've got 11 or 12..  The first time I saw them live was at a place called "The Fitchburg Theater"  next town over from my place of birth.

It was right after Carress of Steel   We were sitting on the edge of a walkway seating area.

They open up with Bastille Day, I just looked at my buddy and with this "Holy F---!" look on my face.  That was it.. I was in for life

I wanted to see them on Permanent Wave, but couldn't get a ticket, so Moving Pictures was my cherry pop. Oakland where the Warriors used to play was my first venue and I lived in San (Hole) Jose at the time. The Spirit Of Radio was the first Rush song I ever heard, when it changes to the part about echo's with the sound of salesmen, I thought that was a separate song.

I saw them on Moving Pics, Grace, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, 40th, Time Machine, Clockwork, and 50th. Yep 8. 11 or 12 is better.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

35 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I saw them once, and it was on the Permeant Waves tour. I was fortune it enough to hear them perform Tom Sawyer before they released it on Moving Pictures. 

Nice. Tom Sawyer is one of those songs that I no longer want to hear.

If you have never seen TPB's this episode is a classic. Diane Sawyer. I peed a little when  I watched this episode. I love when he askes Alex to play April Wine. He kidnaps Alex from room you guessed it - 2112.

Rush always had a great sense of humor and Alex did cameos in the show as a cop, and the movie too. The vids they did at their shows were hilarious.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kidblast said:

LOL!! That Trailer Park Boys skit is a scream..

If you have never seen the whole episode it just does not let up. I think it is from season 3. They unfortunately did like everything and ran the show into the ground and just kept going and going season after season. About season 5 or 6 they should have ended. Season 7 was the first time they ended it, but of course $ talks and they started up again. 

Ellan Page now Elliot Page was in the show early on. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I wanted to see them on Permanent Wave, but couldn't get a ticket, so Moving Pictures was my cherry pop. Oakland where the Warriors used to play was my first venue and I lived in San (Hole) Jose at the time. The Spirit Of Radio was the first Rush song I ever heard, when it changes to the part about echo's with the sound of salesmen, I thought that was a separate song.

I saw them on Moving Pics, Grace, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, 40th, Time Machine, Clockwork, and 50th. Yep 8. 11 or 12 is better.

Permanent waves show was probably one of the best ones I ever saw, except for the last one.  Test For Echo was a close second.

Saw 2112 tour at the old Boston Gardens,  that place was a disaster for a concert.  no good place to sit for anything.  That was one of the worse memories I have.  I can't even tell you if there were any good or not.  

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you have never seen the whole episode it just does not let up. I think it is from season 3. They unfortunately did like everything and ran the show into the ground and just kept going and going season after season. About season 5 or 6 they should have ended. Season 7 was the first time they ended it, but of course $ talks and they started up again. 

did you ever see the Bath Room repair one??

I'm telling ya, I almost pissed myself on that one.

3 minutes ago, kidblast said:

did you ever see the Bath Room repair one??

I'm telling ya, I almost pissed myself on that one.

I stopped watching about season 9 or so. It was just the same stuff, but I'll give it a go. Ricky always f's stuff up. His shirts are priceless.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

I never saw them, but remember the first time I heard them was when I was sitting in my car in a parking lot near the Masonic Temple Auditorium waiting for the doors to open.  Their song "Fly By Night" was playing on the radio.  Never heard it before then and thought it was alright.  It was 1975 and I was going to that auditorium to see the second incarnation of The Mahavishnu Orchestra on their "Visions Of The Emerald Beyond" tour.

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I never saw them, but remember the first time I heard them was when I was sitting in my car in a parking lot near the Masonic Temple Auditorium waiting for the doors to open.  Their song "Fly By Night" was playing on the radio.  Never heard it before then and thought it was alright.  It was 1975 and I was going to that auditorium to see the second incarnation of The Mahavishnu Orchestra on their "Visions Of The Emerald Beyond" tour.

Whitefang

Ruth Underwood was in Zappa’s band and they opened for them. She said in an interview that there was this wall of deafening sound they played so loud

Edited by Sgt. Pepper