Gibson Brands Forums

What is the quintessential Country Acoustic?

powerpopper

I'm expecting this would be a Gibson, but if it's something else in your mind, lay it on me. I'm referring to Traditional Country, so in my mind, Takamines don't count. I'm also looking for the quintessential guitar to accompany a vocalist (preferably that the vocalist is playing his or her self).

An SJ-200 is too loud, right? Is the answer a Hummingbird? Or a J-45? Or some classic dreadnought Guild?

It's gotta be an SJ200. If it's too loud, you can always try a lighter pick or a lighter touch. I think a 'Bird has a few rock'n'roll connotations, making it perhaps slightly disadvantageous for country. A Dove could be good, though. Or, indeed, as Sitric said, a J185.

To me, if the question is which Acoustic (IE. not Acoustic Electric) sounds best for a single player and singer doing classic 50s/60s classic country, it would have to be a Jumbo or Super Jumbo. I have to confess partiality to the SJ200 :-

While I would say Martin would be the "Traditional" Country guitar of day's gone by, I think Gibson is taking that over now and Taylor has also gained a footing with some of the female players as well.

Give the Gibson Advanced Jumbo a try. It is my best guitar for accompanying singers as the tone just seems to demand nice vocals with it. They excell at both strumming and fingerstyle pieces which is rare for a dread size guitar.

When I saw this thread, I thought, oh, oh, this will be like the pin question or what's the best pizza question. I agree with the Martin answer by BC but as also stated I'm seeing lots of Gibsons in the hands of Country players lately. I think the SJ-200, J-45, 'Bird, and Dove are used quite extensively these days. I know Vince Gill has a Martin that, I think, he said he saved and bought when he was in hight school and it sounds great. Of course he has a lot to do with that. This is a personal preference question but it's fun to see what others choose and why. I do feel it has to be a Gibson or a Martin though and "if that ain't country, you can kiss my a$$." LOL

If your talking classic country either the Martin D-28 or the Gibson J-200, in the early 60's you saw alot of Martin D-35's and Gibson Dove's, and in the 70's you started to see alot of Ovation's. Today you don't see as many Martin's or Ovation's but you do see alot of Gibson's, at least in the CMT video's. When I play country I usually play my J-100Xtra it just seems to mix with my voice the best on a country song. Of course though if you want the true quintessential country guitar I think the winner hands down is the venerable Fender Telecaster.

When I saw this thread' date=' I thought, oh, oh, this will be like the pin question or what's the best pizza question. I agree with the Martin answer by BC but as also stated I'm seeing lots of Gibsons in the hands of Country players lately. I think the SJ-200, J-45, 'Bird, and Dove are used quite extensively these days. I know Vince Gill has a Martin that, I think, he said he saved and bought when he was in hight school and it sounds great. Of course he has a lot to do with that. This is a personal preference question but it's fun to see what others choose and why. I do feel it has to be a Gibson or a Martin though and "if that ain't country, you can kiss my a$$." LOL[/quote']

Your post reminded me of an interview, I saw with Vince, he said, he told Chet Atkins one day that he thought the guitar he was playing "sure sounded good!!) to which Chet replied, as he stopped playing, (how does it sound now?)

I do agree that Martins are country musicians 1st choice!! I've seen Kristofferson, on several occasions, & never saw him with a Gibson!! Now he has his own model!!

I think the "Alt" country players lean a little more towards Gibby's!!

:^o

Yea I've seen him "lately" last couple of years playing an SJ,,but,,,,,,,,,,,,,the D-18 is what brought him here.

I found it interesting that on Gibson's web site you can play the "This old road" video, of him traveling down the old road with his D-18 over shoulder.

Is there a video of Lucinda playing a Martin?

from what i've seen, Gibson is on the rise, and Taylor is on the decline in modern country.... but i don't really listen to new country so i've only made this note in passing.

as for classic country. sure, the D28 and D18 are king. someone above mentioned Hank Sr. do a quick google image search and you will find that most pics are of him holding a martin. the SJ shows up, but it's mostly martin. after the Martin D guitars, i would say that the J45 family (50, SJ, CW) would rank next. then the J200. if you look around the J200 never really was THAT popular for that music. sure, there are a few examples out there, but not any more than any other guitar. the only place it really shows up heavily is the "singing cowboy" stuff... which is more show than anything. it's not really classic country like me normally think of.

as an interesting side note though...... we SEE a lot of martins on those old country clips, but to my ears i HEAR more Gibsons. i think a lot of those guys recorded Gibsons and then used the Martins live.

I think Neil Young plays one of Hank Williams old D-28 and a D-45. I think he picked up the D-45 in his earlier career with some rock band.=P~

And Hank SR. as well as Hank JR. have been seen often with Southern Jumbos.

Dale.

Archived