Gibson Brands Forums

Lifespan of Sunbeam strings?

egoidealmusic

Hi all,

After many, many recommendations for Sunbeam strings I've tried them and really dig them.  About a month in they're really hitting their stride...mellowing but still lots of punch, well defined for single string picking but have that growl I love of a J-45 when really lit into.

The question, though, is what kind of lifespan do most folks find with them?  I'm not expecting coated lifespan, but they do seem to be holding up to almost dayly play.

I think we talked about this as part of another thread a couple months back, but I can't find it after a cursory look. There might be some additional information in there if you find it.

Mine are varied. I've not used them on my Hummingbird I changed to a more detailed acoustic guitar log. My Hummingbird was averaging just a few weeks of playing time on any non-coated string including Sunbeams, Veritas, La Bella and John Pearse PB's, Martin silked and Martin Flex Cores. 

Using my new log system, my J45 had 109 total days last time, 44 days of which were on my stand and played daily. My Dove has similar numbers - 85 days total with 40 of those days on my stand and played every day.  So short sample size on my two newest guitars averages out to about 6 weeks of playing days. 

6 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I think we talked about this as part of another thread a couple months back, but I can't find it after a cursory look. There might be some additional information in there if you find it.

What haven't we discussed here 100x over? 

6 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

So what? Someone asked and I had new, more specific answer than the last few times. And again, so what?

Do you keep track of how may E chords you play in one day. You guys are funny. That's why I visit this forum. It makes me laugh all the petty stuff we discuss.

4 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Again, so what?

That's the lead track to Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue album. Good tune. And now it back to a new Slash guitars and J-45's all day long.

And so you don't have to post it - I know "So What?"

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That's the lead track to Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue album. Good tune. And now it back to a new Slash guitars and J-45's all day long.

And so you don't have to post it - I know "So What?"

Actually, you do not. That's the sad part. All of this, and everything is still just the same as it would have been otherwise. 

That's a SUPER  classic Jazz Tune and album!

( Glad we got off of trying to decide how many times we strum all 6 strings, pick each individually or do alternate tunings  over the weeks, months and years...  to come up with a Weighted Age of the strings we have on each guitar.   Probably should also consider the type of pick we use. Sharp point or rounded?    At that  point we can then subjective  evaluate the tonal performance of the lows, mids and high strings.    (So are the first and second  strings the highs, third and fourth the mids, and 5th an 6th the lows?   Is an "E" note played on the 5th string a mid?)    

44 minutes ago, egoidealmusic said:

Haha I didn't mean to start a war!  Was just curious as to what folks' range was with these.  Mine are still sounding good, but I'm guessing I'm getting close to a change point as I'm really bad about wiping the strings down after playing.

The time to change is when you no longer like the way they sound. That could be anywhere from weeks to years, literally.

I changed a set of Sunbeams on my #1 1950 J-45 a few months ago after a full two years. I like the way the new ones sound, but I like the old ones until they get to the point where they are hard to tune.

Edited by j45nick

7 hours ago, RvrDxn said:

Man, this forum cracks me up. It’s a nice respite from the crybaby mods over at the AGF. Not every place has to be a safe space and that’s okay.

Yep.  Imagine if the entire adult population of the world were crybaby snowflakes wanting protection from "The Moderator" !   Where's the fun in that? 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, j45nick said:

The time to change is when you no longer like the way they sound. That could be anywhere from weeks to years, literally.

I changed a set of Sunbeams on my #1 1950 J-45 a few months ago after a full two years. I like the way the new ones sound, but I like the old ones until they get to the point where they are hard to tune.

Agree completely.   I usually find, when I decide it's time to change the strings ( because they've become 'stringy' and dull) that the date I wrote in on the old string card I left in the case was 2 years back.     I like the 'novelty' sound of new strings, but always look forward to them settling in so I can actually hear the guitar itself and not the tintinnabulation.    Don't use Sunbeam, so have no clue on their lifespan. 

14 hours ago, RvrDxn said:

Man, this forum cracks me up. It’s a nice respite from the crybaby mods over at the AGF. Not every place has to be a safe space and that’s okay.

If I ever type the words “Banana Split” please send assistance as I am in trouble, and it’s my safe word.

4 minutes ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

Banana Split

Banana Split

Banana Split

I find the Sunbeam strings to have a very short lifespan.    At times, I find a dead string upon tuning the string for the first time.

Why did you pick the same word I did.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think it was the first Miles album I bought. I now have a copy on blue vinyl.

It's a magical album

3 hours ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

Banana Split

Banana Split

Banana Split

I find the Sunbeam strings to have a very short lifespan.    At times, I find a dead string upon tuning the string for the first time.

Do you wait to cut the tails of the wound strings until after the strings are tensioned? If not, you have killed them, since they are wound on a round core wire.

Read the instructions on the inside of the box about how to string a guitar with strings of this type. Takes a slightly different technique compared to hex-core strings.

Definitely waited to cut the strings unitl after installed and tuned (and stretched and tuned again).   Also, have noticed that they are some of the noisiest strings when sliding up or down.  I don't do much of that as I'm usually working in cowboy chords (or Dylan chords to make myself feel better), but they are very squeaky.  Other than that, really like the sound of them.

Have a set on my J-35 and like them, but I haven’t decided yet if I like them enough to abandon my usual strings, which are Martin Monels.

I put a set on my Farida OT-22 (an LG-2 clone) and they just seem too brash. I’m waiting to see how I feel about them in another couple of weeks.

As far as the OP’s question about how long they last, I think there are a bunch of variables, including how often you play and your body chemistry.

Edited by dhanners623