Gibson Brands Forums

L-00 with no stamp in soundhole - real or fake?

Jamin44

Yeah. Sorry, gang. I’m a newby to the forum and definitely did not have my alerts set up, so I was slow to reply. 

I’ve attached a couple of pics. I bought it used from Guitar Center and I just sort of (maybe naive) assumed it was legit and I thought I was snagging a great deal. 

I’m looking to sell or trade it and just now noticed the missing sticker in the soundhole and I’m having trouble reconciling the serial number with anything. I was exhausting all online resources and have done a bunch of research (obviously should have done this prior to purchasing) and I stumbled upon this forum. Thought I’d ask a group of dudes for some insight. 

I apologize if this is not the correct venue or if I broke a protocol. 

457C6EE1-84B1-41D6-9A49-56EE597D51DE.jpeg

9AA0D3A9-8259-4091-BA6E-F133379962DF.jpeg

looks legit to me, I'm not sure what stamping they were doing in 2019. I have a 2019 model that only has an ink stamp on the neck block.

The s/n for a 2019 should be 1aaa9bbb where the 1 and 9 represent 2019, aaa is the numerical number of the day (001 - 352) and bbb is the sequence number of the guitar stamped that day.

The burst looks like the one they were using on the Deluxe model but the trim and hardware looks like a standard.

43 minutes ago, Jamin44 said:

Yeah. Sorry, gang. I’m a newby to the forum and definitely did not have my alerts set up, so I was slow to reply. 

I’ve attached a couple of pics. I bought it used from Guitar Center and I just sort of (maybe naive) assumed it was legit and I thought I was snagging a great deal. 

I’m looking to sell or trade it and just now noticed the missing sticker in the soundhole and I’m having trouble reconciling the serial number with anything. I was exhausting all online resources and have done a bunch of research (obviously should have done this prior to purchasing) and I stumbled upon this forum. Thought I’d ask a group of dudes for some insight. 

I apologize if this is not the correct venue or if I broke a protocol. 

457C6EE1-84B1-41D6-9A49-56EE597D51DE.jpeg

9AA0D3A9-8259-4091-BA6E-F133379962DF.jpeg

So if you got this used from Guitar Center, that should increase the chances of this being the real deal exponentially. 

The problem is not you, so don't apologize for asking a question.

It's the dirt bags who sell these things as authentic when they are not.  These sellers prey on those that don't really know what to look for and just assume it is what it is.

The best place to post these questions is the Acoustic section of this forum, most of the guys who dwell there, only stay in that part of the forum.

you can also sign up for the Acoustic Guitar Forum.  That's another great resource, it's very active, more so than here, and  tightly moderated. 

not a bad place to seek out information.  As is the case here.

37 minutes ago, kidblast said:

So if you got this used from Guitar Center, that should increase the chances of this being the real deal exponentially. 

The problem is not you, so don't apologize for asking a question.

It's the dirt bags who sell these things as authentic when they are not.  These sellers prey on those that don't really know what to look for and just assume it is what it is.

The best place to post these questions is the Acoustic section of this forum, most of the guys who dwell there, only stay in that part of the forum.

you can also sign up for the Acoustic Guitar Forum.  That's another great resource, it's very active, more so than here, and  tightly moderated. 

not a bad place to seek out information.  As is the case here.

Awesome advice. Thank you 

3 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Jamin44,

Now I am wondering if Gibson will send you a new sound hole sticker for it, after you email them and provide all the necessary photos, that is. 

Got nothing to lose by trying, I guess. 

Has anybody heard of Gibson doing such a thing?

🤔

yes.

11 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Jamin44,

Now I am wondering if Gibson will send you a new sound hole sticker for it, after you email them and provide all the necessary photos, that is. 

Got nothing to lose by trying, I guess. 

Has anybody heard of Gibson doing such a thing?

🤔

sparquelito,

In my opinion, they would open themselves to aiding and abetting anyone counterfeiting guitars by supplying sound hole stickers, and so doubt that they would be so magnanimous, especially to someone who purchased their Gibson used.

RBSinTo

40 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

You're wrong though, because it would be a request for one single sticker from a person who literally has the guitar which they can authenticate before issuing said sticker.   Magnanimously.  😉

ghost_of_fl,

First we'll see. And then we'll know.

RBSinTo

Have you gone back to Guitar Center and voice your concerns? 

I bought what I thought,  and they presented as a brand new Martin from GC about 15 years ago. I took if to a guitar tech who is  factory certified Martin and Gibson tech. He called me the next day with some alarming news,  the guitar was 5 years old and had been sold by GC several times each time itcwascreturned and put back onto the rack as new. The bridge was not properly installed at the time It was built and would require a neck and bridge reset, the top had also settled ( bridge tilted toward the neck. 

The Martin factory rep the tech spoke with told him GC has a history of doing this, they also order large shipments and many times guitars end up in warehouses for long periods of time,  apparently with no humidifier, so back it went!

Trust  but verify.  Guitar Center has a good return policy, use it.

6 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

Have you gone back to Guitar Center and voice your concerns? 

I bought what I thought,  and they presented as a brand new Martin from GC about 15 years ago. I took if to a guitar tech who is  factory certified Martin and Gibson tech. He called me the next day with some alarming news,  the guitar was 5 years old and had been sold by GC several times each time itcwascreturned and put back onto the rack as new. The bridge was not properly installed at the time It was built and would require a neck and bridge reset, the top had also settled ( bridge tilted toward the neck. 

The Martin factory rep the tech spoke with told him GC has a history of doing this, they also order large shipments and many times guitars end up in warehouses for long periods of time,  apparently with no humidifier, so back it went!

Trust  but verify.  Guitar Center has a good return policy, use it.

When I’m ready so spend cash on a Martin I always check the serial number to verify the year, no slide rule necessary or system that changed 3 times today. It’s consecutive. How easy is that?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When I’m ready so spend cash on a Martin I always check the serial number to verify the year, no slide rule necessary or system that changed 3 times today. It’s consecutive. How easy is that?

The fact remains that dealers  an restock a previously sold item and sell it as new.  Seems to me the easy way to stop this is for the manufacturers to require retailers to register  instruments at the time of sale. It would take a few minutes,  but once the instrument leaves the store, how many purchasers take the time to register the instrument with the factory?

I still do business with GC, but with caution,  I have ordered new guitars from the Martin factory through GC, and have received great discounts this way.  You have the right of refusal at time of purchase and still can return it, but it's a good deal for both the dealer and the customer,  the guitar isn T going to be hanging on a wall for months, so GC is happy, you get an untouched fresh from the factory guitar that you wanted. 

Here is another GC story,  at our local GC, there was a very high end Taylor guitar hanging on the wall for years, it was discounted because there was a 1/8 "  crack in the fretboard running from the7th fret to the end past the 22nd fret. I asked them why they don't just return it for warranty work? 

"Because we do that after it's bought" wasbthe answer.

Does Taylor really want their products displayed when there are cracks in the fret board?

I worked at two music stores years ago, that wouldn't fly at either,  it undermines customer confidence. 

27 minutes ago, jaxson50 said:

The fact remains that dealers  an restock a previously sold item and sell it as new.  Seems to me the easy way to stop this is for the manufacturers to require retailers to register  instruments at the time of sale. It would take a few minutes,  but once the instrument leaves the store, how many purchasers take the time to register the instrument with the factory?

I still do business with GC, but with caution,  I have ordered new guitars from the Martin factory through GC, and have received great discounts this way.  You have the right of refusal at time of purchase and still can return it, but it's a good deal for both the dealer and the customer,  the guitar isn T going to be hanging on a wall for months, so GC is happy, you get an untouched fresh from the factory guitar that you wanted. 

Here is another GC story,  at our local GC, there was a very high end Taylor guitar hanging on the wall for years, it was discounted because there was a 1/8 "  crack in the fretboard running from the7th fret to the end past the 22nd fret. I asked them why they don't just return it for warranty work? 

"Because we do that after it's bought" wasbthe answer.

Does Taylor really want their products displayed when there are cracks in the fret board?

I worked at two music stores years ago, that wouldn't fly at either,  it undermines customer confidence. 

I’ve registered at least 3 of my used Martins because the original owners never did.

Those Taylor’s have been paid for and once GC sells them they get there cut back.

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’ve registered at least 3 of my used Martins because the original owners never did.

Those Taylor’s have been paid for and once GC sells them they get there cut back.

That's not my point and frankly,  I don't know  if your being argumentative with me or not.

It shouldn't be the customers responsibility to police music dealers to ensure they not selling used instruments as new.  That should be the factories responsibility.  It's that way in every other business,  if a dealer pulls funny tricks they get dinged, or dropped by the factory. 

1 minute ago, jaxson50 said:

That's not my point and frankly,  I don't know  if your being argumentative with me or not.

It shouldn't be the customers responsibility to police music dealers to ensure they not selling used instruments as new.  That should be the factories responsibility.  It's that way in every other business,  if a dealer pulls funny tricks they get dinged, or dropped by the factory. 

I totally agree. GC should be out of business. I hate that crooked store. But we know and you got one that should have been sold as a used guitar and CG could care less and just wants your $.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I totally agree. GC should be out of business. I hate that crooked store. But we know and you got one that should have been sold as a used guitar and CG could care less and just wants your $.

Indeed. If  you see a 3k dollar guitar displayed at a store with visible cracks,  what is your first impression?

Either the builder does crap work or the dealer doesn't take care of guitars when they are damaged or has a flaw. Honestly, that thing hung on the GC Boise stores wall for ever. Nobody who knows anything about guitars wouldn't buy it,  but  how many sales are lost because of a bad first impression.

I haven't seen anything like this from small shops, impressions and referrals are their lifeblood.