Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 versus j-45 standard

RBSinTo

Just wondering what the difference is between these two guitar models?

I have a plain old, garden variety  j-45, and assumed that it was the "standard" model.

However, I've seen threads wherein persons mention the the other model, and have seen photos of the label where the model is designated as "j-45 standard"

Briefly, what's the difference?

Please and thanks.

RBSinTo

What year was your J45 made?

The Standard moniker appeared around 2008, with slim taper beck and Baggs Element pickup with Tusq saddle that supposedly works better for the pickup, black Graphteck nut?, pearl Logo, etc.....

Someone counted recently, but there has been a few J45 models!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I remember when one of the members here attempted to count up the number of variations on the J45 that Bozeman had come up with.  If I recall, they stopped at 90.

Another difference is that Gibson has used both of its standard bracing patterns on the J45, going with wider angle "1930s" bracing (the same as the AJ and J35) on certain versions such as the TV.

Edited by zombywoof

21 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

I have a 2002 J50 that has a fairly chunky neck, more playing space everywhere that I prefer compared to a 2010 J45 Standard I use to own....

Looks like you have a plain old J45!  (though it could be a J46 Historic).

BluesKing777.

BluesKing777,

It truly makes no difference to me which particular model or variant mine is.

I only ask because I am aware that there are different versions, but was merely curious what the characteristics of those two particular versions are.

In other words, what makes a j-45 different from a j-45 standard?

And as an aside, none of the replies yet posted have actually addressed my question.

RBSinTo

In an attempt to also not really address the question, but dance around it:      I do not believe Gibson used the 'Standard' moniker 21 years ago, as BK7 pointed out.  They change specs often, without changing the names.  In part because, as ZmbyWf pointed out  our old friend OneWileyFool counted close to 100 different 'versions' of the J45 model.  They would run out of names and attract even more good natured ridicule here if they attempted it.  I have a J45 Custom -  there are probably close to 100 different sets of specs for those that have accumulated over the years.   So, in conclusion,  I don't really think you can reach a conclusion.  There really is no such thing as a "J45".  And there is no such thing as a 'J45 Standard'.  Like a kaleidoscope - they evolve year to year, and change during the 'model year'. All you could attempt to do is detail the specs on yours and compare them to any one of the 100+ other versions, to no avail.  G'Luck! 

20 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

BluesKing777,

It truly makes no difference to me which particular model or variant mine is.

I only ask because I am aware that there are different versions, but was merely curious what the characteristics of those two particular versions are.

In other words, what makes a j-45 different from a j-45 standard?

And as an aside, none of the replies yet posted have actually addressed my question.

RBSinTo

Sorry for the copycat reply as somebody else was typing as I was and posted before me but it bears repeating.  Nobody can answer your question because in a nutshell there is no such thing as a J45.  The J45 Standard is a specific model.  To offer up any kind of opinion we would need to know what specific model you want to compare to the Standard whether it be a 50s or 60s Original of if used say a True Vintage or whatever.  The days when you walked into a store and bought just a J45 are long gone and now reside only the memory of us geezers

Edited by zombywoof

Once there was Coke.

Somebody decided to make a "new" Coke.

It wasn't accepted.

The "old" Coke was brought back as "Classic".

The "new" Coke disappeared.

There is now no Coke.

There is only Coke Classic, and a thousand other blends.

18 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

".......... So, in conclusion,  I don't really think you can reach a conclusion.  There really is no such thing as a "J45".  And there is no such thing as a 'J45 Standard'.........."

17 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

"............ Nobody can answer your question because in a nutshell there is no such thing as a J45...."

So........... from what I read here...........my guitar doesn't really exist(!!!!!!)

Very confused, to say the least.

RBSinTo

I assume you are going by the label.  But if you do a search on this forum you will see, as example, somebody questioning whether what they bought was in fact a J45 TV because the label simply says J45.

PS- I found the post listing the scary number of variations of the J45.  Downright dizzying.

Edited by zombywoof

51 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I assume you are going by the label.  But if you do a search on this forum you will see, as example, somebody questioning whether what they bought was in fact a J45 TV because the label simply says J45.

PS- I found the post listing the scary number of variations of the J45.  Downright dizzying.

Zombywoof,

I wasn't questioning what I had purchased, as it really doesn't matter.

At the time, I was looking for a slope-shouldered spruce/mahogany dreadnought, and this j-45 became available at a very good price, so I bought it. 

I didn't know very much about Gibsons, so had no idea about all the variants, 

and even now aren't much of a musical maven that it matters which type I have.

My question was merely based on idle curiosity, and I likely wouldn't even have asked it if I had known that this is still one of the world's great unresolved mysteries.

RBSinTo

Simple answer I guess is that you have a "regular" J45 of 2001, whatever the name was at that time. The "regular" J45 of today is called J45 standard.

It may have differences in build compared to the J45 standard of today, but that was their conception what the "regular" J45 should be at that time.

Edited by pimousso

14 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

So........... from what I read here...........my guitar doesn't really exist(!!!!!!)

RBSinTo

Weelllll, you could always do what is known as a 'search' and not ask the forum.... 

But you will probably come away just as confused:

BluesKing777.

20 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

You might actually be playing an air-guitar. 
If not your model should be on the list below.

vily's J-45 list supplied by various Board-members, updated by gearbasher the 17th of January 2021

and adjusted by E-minor7 also in Jan 21.

1. Gibson J-45 Just a J-45

2. Gibson J-45 Standard

3. Gibson J-45 Historic Collection

4. Gibson J-45 Modern Classic

5. Gibson J-45 True Vintage

6. Gibson J-45 Legend

7. Gibson J-45 New Vintage

8. Gibson J-45 American

9. Gibson J-45 Pro

10. Gibson J-45 Studio

11. Gibson J-45 Pre-war

12. Gibson J-45 Deluxe (70s square shouldered)

13. Gibson J-45 Limited

14. Gibson J-45 Mahogany top

15. Gibson J-45 Studio reissue

16. Gibson J-45 Custom Koa

17. Gibson J-45 Custom Maple

18. Gibson J-45 Custom Rosewood

19. Gbson J-45 Long scale (What ! Long scale ?)

20. Gibson J-45 Antique Natural

21. Gibson J-45 Ltd. 1968 Ebony Black (w. p-guard logo)

22. Gibson J-45 Ltd. 1968 Cherry Red (w. p-guard logo)

23. Gibson J-45 Wine Red

24. Gibson J-45 Vintage Sunburst

25.Gibson J-45 Cobraburst

26. Gibson J-45 Amberburst

27. Gibson J-45 Red Spruce Sunsetburst

28. Gibson J-45 Mellow Yellow

29. Gibson J-45 Brad Paisley Signature J-45

30. Gibson J-45 John Hiatt Signature J-45

31. Gibson J-45 Celebrity

32. Gibson J-45 Reissue

33. Gibson J-45 Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce

34. Gibson J-45 Custom Vine Rosewood

35. Gibson J-45 Reissue Historic

36. Gibson J-45 V.O.S.

37. Gibson J-45 Pure voice

38. Gibson J-45 Koa Maui Wowie

39. Gibson J-45 Standard CST J45 Madagascar Rosewood

40. Gibson J-45 Western

41. Gibson J-45 Ltd. 1960'S

42. Gibson J-45 Gold top

43. Gibson J-45 Brazilian

44. Gibson J-45 Flamed Maple LTD

45. Gibson J-45 Mystic Rosewood

46. Gibson J-45 Kazuyoshi Saito signature

47. Gibson J-45 Banner WWII

48. Gibson J-45 Iced Tea

49. Gibson J-45 Quilt

50. Gibson J-45 Flamed Maple

51. Gibson J-45 Custom Mystic Rosewood

52. Gibson J-45 Deluxe Lefty

53. Gibson J-45 Vine Koa

54. Gibson J-45 1960's Ebony

55. Gibson J-45 1960's Ebony Lyric

56. Gibson J-45 Masterbuilt

57. Gibson J-45 Artist

58. Gibson J-45 ”Manic Salad Green”

59. Gibson J-45 Limited Edition Pelham Blue

60. Gibson J-45 Custom

61. Gibson J-45 Rosewood

62. Gibson J-45 "J-45"

63. Gibson J-45 1942

64. Gibson J-45 Koa Elite

65. Gibson J-45 1963 Limited Edition

66. Gibson J-45 Limited Edition Navy Blue

67. Gibson J-45 Working Man

68. Gibson J-45 Antique Natural Mahogany Top Limited Edition

69. Gibson J-45 Standard Cherry

70. Gibson J-45 Donovan 1965

71. Gibson J-45 Brown Top

72. Gibson J-45 Ltd. White

73. Gibson J-45 Zebra Wood 74. Gibson J-45 Early 75. Gibson J-45 Buddy Holly 76. Gibson J-45 '65 Natural Top 77. Gibson 125th Anniversary J-45 Acoustic-Electric Guitar

You can add the SJ-45 Deluxe (which was a J-45) and the Big Leaf Maple.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

An advice would be to check the serial number and see if it is fx a Modern Classic og a Historic Collection. Then go from there.

Have fun

The original poster's guitar is a 2001.  That narrows it down somewhat, because the explosion of different variants doesn't seem to take off until c.2007 or so.  The majority of the models listed above are 2008 or later.  I can believe that there indeed used to be guitars that were just J45s, period.  There were some in the '90s marked "Early J-45," but if yours is a J45 it's a J45.  Be grateful.  The J45 Modern Classic and its direct descendant the J45 Standard deviate cosmetically in ways that don't appeal to me, though there is no question they're also fine guitars.

I can note that the J45 Historical Collection appears to be essentially the plain-Jane J45 of its time, with Ren Ferguson modified x-brace angle (around 98 degrees vs. 103) that pushes the soundhole up enough that the fingerboard covers part of the rosette - and since the stock pickguard position covers the treble quadrant of the rosette, it's usually good to remove it and put it where it belongs with the 3M adhesive sheets Stew-Mac sells.  These had  East Indian rosewood fingerboard and bridge, Honduras mahogany back, sides and neck, and Sitka spruce top, with a Fishman Matrix Natural ust pickup and Gotoh Kluson-clone tuners.  Mine has a 1.704-in nut width, according to my Harbor Freight digital calipers.

I've gone all trainspotting over the last couple of years on this model, and whenever I see one for sale online that shows its serial number, I've recorded it.  I've got serial numbers indicating builds between January 2005 and November 2006, which fits what I've read about them.  There were allegedly 670 of them built for either Guitar Center or for Five-Star dealers, depending on where you read it.  I'm still waiting to hear if they are any different from the usual J45 built during those years.

The Modern Classic and the True Vintage (which is neither, but that's another rant for another day) came out c.2008, and the minor cosmetics and other changes flowed from there, along with the plethora of signature models.

I kinda miss when J45s were J45s, period.  The constant shuffling to meet some arbitrary collector desire, the limited editions, blah, blah, freakin' blah - too much guitar as collectable artifact for my taste.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

RBSinTo

Your J-45 is stuck in a quantum guitar black hole time continuum loop of continually repeating J-45 models. It’s like Pi, it never repeats itself. New ones are being discussed right now in the secret sanctum in the hallowed halls of Bozeman.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your J-45 is stuck in a quantum guitar black hole time continuum loop of ever repeating J-45 models. New ones are being discussed right now in the secret sanctum in the hallowed halls of Bozeman.

Chief,

Doya think they'll release a blue one with sparkles, the " j-45 CSinTo Special" for my grand-daughter? We can only hope.

RBSinTo

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

Doya think they'll release a blue one with sparkles, the " j-45 CSinTo Special" for my grand-daughter? We can only hope.

RBSinTo

This is as sparkly I could find.

https://www.google.com/search?q=taylor+swift+with+sparkey+guitar&sxsrf=APq-WBvaI9o5k7T8Nc63avv8fRkh_7WmQQ:1648218871485&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiAgOPiveH2AhW5oXIEHVR2B4cQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1200&bih=548&dpr=2#imgrc=dLr-iQKWaZ3gOM

45 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Chief,

Uh oh.

Now you've gone and done it.

Even has lots of room for stickers.

Looks like I'll be going shopping soon, and our grand-daughter will have more guitars than either you or me.

RBSinTo

I also have a 2001 J-45. According to Gibson, it is simply a J-45.

The later J-45 Standards are slightly different and modernized, with inlaid logos and Grover tuners, while our J-45s are  closer to a late 50s (non-adjustable) example with silkscreen block logo and Kluson-style tuners.

36 minutes ago, pohatu771 said:

I also have a 2001 J-45. According to Gibson, it is simply a J-45.

The later J-45 Standards are slightly different and modernized, with inlaid logos and Grover tuners, while our J-45s are  closer to a late 50s (non-adjustable) example with silkscreen block logo and Kluson-style tuners.

pohatu771,

Mine is the same.

One oddity I did notice on mine is that the dot over the "i" touches the capital "G", which I find to look unsatisfying.

Curious if your's also has this strange characteristic.

RBSinTo

On 3/25/2022 at 7:04 PM, RBSinTo said:

pohatu771,

Mine is the same.

One oddity I did notice on mine is that the dot over the "i" touches the capital "G", which I find to look unsatisfying.

Curious if your's also has this strange characteristic.

RBSinTo

It does. That might be the most common version of the silkscreen logo - and another detail accurate to a late 50s model.