Gibson Brands Forums

Lg2? Trying to get exactly what this is

Joeyk

Looking into buying this. It’s a buddy I know. I believe it’s a 40-50s LG2. I know the pics not amazing but just seeing if anyone has any more specific dates and any idea what to pay? I’ve seen such varied prices and I can tell this girls got some age and wear. I have a 61 b25 and am so ready for a better time. Hate it in my my gigs but love the size, but I  have to eq it so much to get the mids and highs to come out. Low end is no problem. Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated. 

C4B5CAD5-BA7A-4AAA-85CE-AB20B8BBF14F.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Dave F said:

It looks like it has a strip to me. Besides, John Thomas has an LG3 with no strip so that thinking may not be applicable to the early LG’s

Early Banners were the exception to the rule.  My 1942 J50 does not have the center strip either.

Edited by zombywoof

On 4/17/2022 at 6:31 PM, BluesKing777 said:

I can’t see a backstrip?

And it looks a lot like my 1952 Gibson LG1. (Except mine is all cracked).

BluesKing777.

Backstrips sometimes fall out, so the real check is the top bracing.

5 hours ago, j45nick said:

Backstrips sometimes fall out, so the real check is the top bracing.

I do not think I have ever run across a Gibson where the entire back strip has missing in action.   Then again it is just as easy to eyeball the center of the X brace as it is the presence of absence of that strip running down the back.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everybody I tried out the lg2, after doing research (and owning a b25) I don’t feel like it’s leaps and bounds better than what I have especially given what is pay. I think I need a bigger body with a fuller sound and to get away from the parlor guitars as comfortable as they are to play. I don’t hear what I’m looking for. 

1 hour ago, Joeyk said:

Thanks everybody I tried out the lg2, after doing research (and owning a b25) I don’t feel like it’s leaps and bounds better than what I have especially given what is pay. I think I need a bigger body with a fuller sound and to get away from the parlor guitars as comfortable as they are to play. I don’t hear what I’m looking for. 

It’s your cash, you do what you gotta do.

• Haha 1

I think you should consider going to a Guitar Center that has a J45 and spending some time with it.  The shape, construction, etc. is similar to an LG1,2,3 and the larger size is negligible.  I think you'll enjoy the sound so much, you'll forget the fact it's a smidgeon bigger.  

15 hours ago, Joeyk said:

It has nothing to do with it being a parlor guitar.  Back in the day a guitar with a lower bout of 14" to 14 3/4" was actually classed as a Grand Concert.  My guess is your feelings about the guitar has less to do with size than it does with the ladder bracing.