Gibson Brands Forums

Is it real Gibson

Curt12355

Hello.

Well pictures would help a lot but also you would probably be better of posting in the Gibson or Epi acoustic section...

You can add pictures by uploading to a picture hosting site like imgur.com and use the direct link it gives you or use facebook and right click and copy the image and paste it in your post.

I know little about acoustics but that does sound a bit odd.

If the guitar has an Epiphone headstock, then it's most likely a genuine Epiphone. 
A genuine Epiphone,  made in Korea or Indonesia or one of many other locations where Epiphones have been manufactured over the years. 
Great guitars. 
But not straight-up Gibsons, which are manufactured in either Bozeman, Montana or Memphis, TN, or Nashville, TN. 

The GIBSON logo on the small truss rod cover is common to many Epiphone models over the years. 
(Epiphone as a company has been owned by Gibson for many years, so that's the connection.)
So that would be a legitimate feature for many year groups of Epiphones. 

The sound hole sticker, on an Epiphone acoustic, may have a small Gibson logo, but it should not be the dominant feature. 
EPIPHONE should be on the sound hole sticker rather, to go with the earlier-mentioned headstock logo. 

I hope this helps, absent any of your photos being posted in the meantime. 

😉

I'll add this much;

If the headstock logo is Epiphone, and the sound hole sticker is purely Gibson, detailing a model known as J-50, with no Epiphone logo anywhere on it, then what you have in your hands is what we call a HOT MESS. 

I'm pretty sure that Epiphone never marketed a J-50, with or without the Gibson logo on the truss rod cover. 

I'm hoping that some experienced Epiphone/Gibson guys will chime in now. 
It sounds to me like you have a cobbled-together quandary on your hands. 

😗

It has Grover tuners and has a looks like an authentic sticker inside that says Gibson with serial numbers I picked this up with a song maker Gibson made in Canada at a plant that Gibson bought and manufactured that one line of guitar that year

4 hours ago, Curt12355 said:

IMG_20220429_121403.jpg

Not a Gibson at all , at one time a Epiphone maybe.    Gibson did  if Im not mistakin did do builds up here.   But not for very long.  This one shown is not one of those.   Hope you didnt buy it. 

1 hour ago, pohatu771 said:

The guitar partially photographed is very fake.

Gibson did briefly make the Songmaker series in St. John's, Newfoundland after acquiring Garrison Guitars. 

Yes this is correct not sure what year they done that but they did acquire The Garrison plant and build the Gibson songmaker I think for only about a year but the guitar pictured isn't one of them I never said it was I said I acquired this one when I bought the Gibson songmaker built in the Garrison plant in Canada I did notice because I do work on guitars that this neck was put on this guitar body how it got the logo Gibson on the headstock I guess we'll never know, 

Possibly: started out as a legit Gibson, but at some point suffered bad neck/headstock damage. Then somebody did a neck replacement with an Epi neck and put a Gibson waterslide on it to go with the original Gibson inside label … making it a a multi-brand Frankenstein repair.

10 hours ago, BigKahune said:

Possibly: started out as a legit Gibson, but at some point suffered bad neck/headstock damage. Then somebody did a neck replacement with an Epi neck and put a Gibson waterslide on it to go with the original Gibson inside label … making it a a multi-brand Frankenstein repair.

That makes it even cooler, Frankenstein acoustic 😎 

I think it's irresponsible to be giving false hope. We've seen a single bad photo of a the headstock. Unless we see a much nicer body attached to it, there is no reason to think this is anything except a common counterfeit. This isn't even a proper Epiphone headstock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farnsbarns said:

That is an epiphone headstock. Not one seen in the western market until quite recently but epiphones with the exagerated Gibson open book have been around for a very long time.

On that basis it's almost certainly an epiphone with a Gibson logo faked on. 

It is similar to an Epiphone headstock, but the tuners are way too low. This exact knockoff shape was pretty common on counterfeits about 15 years ago.