Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Prices

Gurban1

2 hours ago, jvi said:

actually its x 4.5    4.5 litres in US gal. , what the heck tho a house here starts at 8-9. over a mil in Vic.

Actually its not. I thought you were Canadian and don't they use the metric system.

One US gallon is defined as 3.7854 liters.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I bowed out right as things were creeping north of $2100 shipped for a really nice Les Paul, they were just getting too rich for my blood.

I'm guessing $3000 Les Paul Standards this time next year.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see the oil companies deciding their profits are too high so maybe they should knock the price down a bit.  Maybe to a British pound sterling, 12 tuppence, 3.9 thurppence a gallon for 89 Octane (less if you pay cash at the register).

Edited by SteveFord

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Actually its not. I thought you were Canadian and don't they use the metric system.

One US gallon is defined as 3.7854 liters.

got me, 4.5 L  is an imperial gal

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

People will, but people will also have to have the G word on their headstock. And if you or I don't buy them, Gibson knows someone will. 

Apparently so, since they have trouble keeping Europe stocked. They must sell a lot of guitars right now. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In 1984 I purchased a new 1983 Custom Shop Edition Gibson Explorer. To my eyes, it has a "yellow" finish with a black pickguard, a black faced headstock with the Gibson logo inlaid in pearl and the "Custom Shop Edition" label on the back of the headstock above the "Pressed" serial number and directly below the tuning pegs. It has all gold hardware (including gold "soap bar" pickups), inline "gold" knobs with white numbering, a three position selector switch on the "horn" with a white "cap", a rosewood fretboard with pearl dot inlays, and an 8 digit serial number showing it was made on March 10th, 1983 in Nashville, TN.  Although I have not been able to find another one just like it in person or online, I think it is a "Korina", and not a 1983 Heritage, (based on the gold hardware and Custom Shop Edition marking.) It is completely original, and is by far the best playing/sounding (tone/versatility) guitar I have ever played. (Every professional/semi professional guitar player that has played it says the same, and each one wants to buy it from me.). I have spent years trying to determine exactly what it is and what it may be worth, (I currently have it insured at $10,000, which may be too much, but I would rather pay a few dollars more each year in premiums rather than under valuing it.) I have been told that only 500 Explorer Korinas were made between 1981-1984. If true, I assume not all were "Custom Shop Editions", and obviously not all were set up like mine. (I also heard that in 1983, at the Nashville Gibson shop, each Explorer had a unique woman's name carved into the body of the guitar beneath the "neck" pickup. As I have never removed the pickups in mine, I cannot attest to this. If true, I don't know if this was just a 1983 thing in Nashville with the Explorers made there, but I would love to find out the truth.) I would love to post a pick of this guitar here, but import file size is only 500kb. Can anyone help educate me about my guitar and help me separate fact from fiction?? I would love any idea of value for insurance purposes only, as I will never sell it.

10 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

In 1984 I purchased a new 1983 Custom Shop Edition Gibson Explorer. To my eyes, it has a "yellow" finish with a black pickguard, a black faced headstock with the Gibson logo inlaid in pearl and the "Custom Shop Edition" label on the back of the headstock above the "Pressed" serial number and directly below the tuning pegs. It has all gold hardware (including gold "soap bar" pickups), inline "gold" knobs with white numbering, a three position selector switch on the "horn" with a white "cap", a rosewood fretboard with pearl dot inlays, and an 8 digit serial number showing it was made on March 10th, 1983 in Nashville, TN.  Although I have not been able to find another one just like it in person or online, I think it is a "Korina", and not a 1983 Heritage, (based on the gold hardware and Custom Shop Edition marking.) It is completely original, and is by far the best playing/sounding (tone/versatility) guitar I have ever played. (Every professional/semi professional guitar player that has played it says the same, and each one wants to buy it from me.). I have spent years trying to determine exactly what it is and what it may be worth, (I currently have it insured at $10,000, which may be too much, but I would rather pay a few dollars more each year in premiums rather than under valuing it.) I have been told that only 500 Explorer Korinas were made between 1981-1984. If true, I assume not all were "Custom Shop Editions", and obviously not all were set up like mine. (I also heard that in 1983, at the Nashville Gibson shop, each Explorer had a unique woman's name carved into the body of the guitar beneath the "neck" pickup. As I have never removed the pickups in mine, I cannot attest to this. If true, I don't know if this was just a 1983 thing in Nashville with the Explorers made there, but I would love to find out the truth.) I would love to post a pick of this guitar here, but import file size is only 500kb. Can anyone help educate me about my guitar and help me separate fact from fiction?? I would love any idea of value for insurance purposes only, as I will never sell it.

I have a feeling of deja vu... !

• 2 weeks later...