Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Cat Stevens J-180 Collector's Edition

Leonard McCoy

On 8/14/2022 at 11:11 PM, Rustybeat said:

I paid $9,300  for one to a dealer I found while traveling. It’s not the tone or playability I was expecting. That can certainly be dialed in when I get home. I’m a pop culture collector and usually only buy vintage. I love it just the same. There’s a mystique about it.  Should I sell it down the road and lose some, that’s cool. Should I make some; groovy. 

Can you tell us, so we can live though you how it feels to spend that much on a guitar?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Can you tell us, so we can live though you how it feels to spend that much on a guitar?

It’s been awhile since I’ve read Title 18 of the U.S. Code in its entirety, but as best I recall, there’s no law prohibiting you from spending whatever you want on a guitar.

2 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

It’s been awhile since I’ve read Title 18 of the U.S. Code in its entirety, but as best I recall, there’s no law prohibiting you from spending whatever you want on a guitar.

I’m just asking, being serious. That’s not Epiphone prices, that’s serious cash.

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I want to see the Star Belly Sneetches. They have stars upon thar's.

Hmm, maybe. Although, I seem to recall some goofy lefty telling me Dr. Seuss was racist or some nonsense. What the heck, let’s do it. We’ll eat a thick steak and talk about Jesus, too and really spit in their Cheerios.

• Haha 2

Sadly,  Dr. Seuss died before he could redeem himself.  Disney had Snow WHITE and Seven WHITE Dwarfs. Never any pushback, but they knew they needed to start cranking out more Diverse Stuff quickly a few years ago to stay ahead of what was looming on the horizon.   On second thought, maybe Dr. Seuss was the lucky one -  passing on to his just reward before all this  Wokeness was visited upon us by morally and intellectually superior beings. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Sadly,  Dr. Seuss died before he could redeem himself.  Disney had Snow WHITE and Seven WHITE Dwarfs. Never any pushback, but they knew they needed to start cranking out more Diverse Stuff quickly a few years ago to stay ahead of what was looming on the horizon.   On second thought, maybe Dr. Seuss was the lucky one -  passing on to his just reward before all this  Wokeness was visited upon us by morally and intellectually superior beings. 

I’m sure Seuss would be happy he missed all this faux outrage, anger addict culture. And Disney: diversity for nothing more than sake of diversity is pandering. These companies acting woke just want those dollars in our pockets. Not a one of them cares about us beyond that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RvrDxn said:

I’m sure Seuss would be happy he missed all this faux outrage, anger addict culture. And Disney: diversity for nothing more than sake of diversity is pandering. These companies acting woke just want those dollars in our pockets. Not a one of them cares about us beyond that. 

I’m sick of the media shoving LGBTQ-LMNOP, woke, cancel culture and all the new buzz words down our throat. If your a guy and you want do the 3 pump dump with another man in between the sheets that’s your business. I don’t need to hear about it, know about it, or see it.

Now back to Cat Stevens, that Tea For The Tillerman was good album.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This place is starting to read like the foxnews reader comment thread.  Only difference is, I don’t recall seeing mention of Gibson guitars over in the foxnews comment threads.  Maybe less hyperventilation about viewpoints that don’t match our own and more hyperventilation about Gibson guitars would make the “Gibson Brands Forum” more fun.  Just a thought…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tim Tim said:

This place is starting to read like the foxnews reader comment thread.  Only difference is, I don’t recall seeing mention of Gibson guitars over in the foxnews comment threads.  Maybe less hyperventilation about viewpoints that don’t match our own and more hyperventilation about Gibson guitars would make the “Gibson Brands Forum” more fun.  Just a thought…

Thanks for the suggestion.   You might find you'll be disappointed though before you reach the century mark with comments under your belt.  We go far afield often. 

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

"Mr. DeMille,  I'm ready for my Close-Up."

"No you're not.  Get rid of those hideous brown highlights in your black hair." 

fyp.,

Beauty is only skin deep. But ugly goes right to the bone.

And that is one butt-ugly-to-the-bone guitar.

RBSinTo

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, slimt said:

I think a Neil Diamond model J180 should be next.  😬

Hell yeah. It could have of course REAL diamond inlays on it, to up the overall price to about 30k. I've mostly seen him latter in his life playing black guitars. On the Hot August Night album I think he was playing an Ovation. I've seen him with custom Martin's with his name on the fretboard like the old singing cowboys used to to. I think he had a Gibson J-xxx when he did that acoustic album. I've seen Neil twice. Anyone ever hear, and its not really a song, but its called The Pot Smokers Song form Velvet Gloves And Spit. My parents tortured me with Neil when I was a kid.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hell yeah. It could have of course REAL diamond inlays on it, to up the overall price to about 30k. I've mostly seen him latter in his life playing black guitars. On the Hot August Night album I think he was playing an Ovation. I've seen him with custom Martin's with his name on the fretboard like the old singing cowboys used to to. I think he had a Gibson J-xxx when he did that acoustic album. I've seen Neil twice. Anyone ever hear, and its not really a song, but its called The Pot Smokers Song form Velvet Gloves And Spit. My parents tortured me with Neil when I was a kid.

If I could handle one of his songs once in a twenty year period. That would be enough for me       

On 9/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, Tim Tim said:

Evoking Fox News . . . Congrats! Now let’s do the orange man thing. I’ve got my bingo card ready.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 8:33 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

No.   Oh, Okay.  It feels calculated. I’m normally a vintage guy. I could purchase a high end new guitar and know I’ll lose money if I go to sell it. I went after this one because it’s unusual and limited and there’s an emotional following outside this rather snide forum. I can play it and likely break even or make a few bucks down the road 

• Thanks 1