Gibson Brands Forums

Tom Murphy Aged Acoustics?

Holiday Hoser

7 hours ago, J45fan said:

The Martin 000-28 Custom Authentic aged are fantastic guitars. I played a few and they felt and sounded great. I bought a D-28  Custom Authentic aged and it is the best D-28 I played to date.

The 000-28 was to close to my old 000-18 Authentic to buy it. The great thing with these Custom Expert Limited Edition Authentics are some changes to the regular Authentic series I missed in them. The adjustable trussrod and I am not a fan of the baked tops what Martin calls VTS. 

I would love to play those and I bet they sound great, but for me and this is me, I'm not paying a guitar maker to make me new guitar and make it look old, and pay sometimes double for it. Like I mentioned a new D-28 right now is $3199 (that is crazy to me they are that much now), and a new '37 Authentic Aged D-28 is $7999. So beating up a new guitar is worth and extra $4800 to some one? That is the price of another D-28 and strings for about 5 years.

But like most say its your $ do what you want with it. 

How many of you are salivating for Gibson to start doing this?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Wires are getting crossed still....

The Authentic series guitars are very different from the Standard series. They are close copies of vintage 30s Martins, very lightly built in the Custom Shop, while the Standards are modern, more heavily built guitar from the factory. You can do a search on AGF or UMGF about these extensive differences - there is plenty of detail.

I bought an OM18 Authentic 1933 VTS around 2015/6. It is a close copy of a Martin OM18 owned by Fred Oster of Vintage Instruments, all hide glue construction, torrefied Adi spruce, very lightly braced. Compared to a Standard OM18, it is a bucking bronco, hard to control ....the twin turbo version of my standard non turbo car.....

I am going to rope it now......

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

26 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Wires are getting crossed still....

The Authentic series guitars are very different from the Standard series. They are close copies of vintage 30s Martins, very lightly built in the Custom Shop, while the Standards are modern, more heavily built guitar from the factory. You can do a search on AGF or UMGF about these extensive differences - there is plenty of detail.

I bought an OM18 Authentic 1933 VTS around 2015/6. It is a close copy of a Martin OM18 owned by Fred Oster of Vintage Instruments, all hide glue construction, torrefied Adi spruce, very lightly braced. Compared to a Standard OM18, it is a bucking bronco, hard to control ....the twin turbo version of my standard non turbo car.....

I am going to rope it now......

BluesKing777.

I agree about the authentics being different.  I have owned 000-42s, D-45s in the standard line ups.  Though they are  really nice Martins.  The Authentic series of each. Are outstanding.    I own both a D45 and a 000-42 in the authentic models. Ya you pay more. But if its clarity and tone your after. Martin nailed on these. .  . 

Why is it Martin can built a new D-28 for what ever they charge, but building a D-28 to 1937 standards and beating it up and it costs 4k more? I there 4k more labor and materials that go into building it or is it all just smoke and mirrors. Are they harvesting some magic wood from 1937 tone wood forest? Just build all D-28's to '37 specs and call it day.

Remember most of the guys/girls who recorded and played the music we love did it on instruments at hand that were not fake aged.

Blackbird was recorded on a 1967 D-28 in 1968. A one year old non fake aged guitar that sounds damn good. I know his is Braz RW. The stuff of legend.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I would love to play those and I bet they sound great, but for me and this is me, I'm not paying a guitar maker to make me new guitar and make it look old, and pay sometimes double for it. Like I mentioned a new D-28 right now is $3199 (that is crazy to me they are that much now), and a new '37 Authentic Aged D-28 is $7999. So beating up a new guitar is worth and extra $4800 to some one? That is the price of another D-28 and strings for about 5 years.

But like most say its your $ do what you want with it. 

How many of you are salivating for Gibson to start doing this?

Sorry, but you should get educated, you are making false statements. It makes no sense to continue to discuss with you since you don't accept the facts. You don't pay $4000 extra just for aging. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 7:58 AM, Dave F said:

FWIW - When I configured the M2M L00, the aged top was a $1200 List Price upgrade. It wound up costing me about $700. It was well worth it in my opinion.

What was the out the door price of the whole guitar?

21 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Wow an L-00 Standard right now is $2799. Only $401 more and you them build you one. If Gibson dragged it behind a car for a half a mile it would be $6500.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper