Gibson Brands Forums

The inexorable MSRP creep…are new Gibsons now priced out of the reach of working musicians?

Jinder

12 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

Yeah, I read that part of his post, too. So where does it end? Say the producer in question wants the sound of a pre-war Martin. Is Jinder supposed to run out and buy one for the session? I’m sure he’d like to be able to do that, but it’s not a realistic expectation.

I’d be interested to know — in the sessions Jinder didn’t get because he had the “wrong” guitar, who wound up replacing him, and what guitar did he/she use?

I know is a guy supposed to show up with 15 different guitars in hopes to please the producer or main artist?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, RvrDxn said:

That’s true. It’s about you and me. Show me on the doll where the mean post hurt you . . . 

I'm glad I did not have liquid in my mouth when I read that, or I would have spit it all over the lap top screen.

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

What about RvrDxn? Is he a resurrected past member like Guitar Light or D-28? Something's familiar. 

Nah, nothing that exciting or intriguing about me. I simply enjoy engaging in the unproductive behavior of being a jerk to people that I perceive as being jerks/crybabies. Life is more than what pick should I use, what strings work best on a 1973 blah blah blah, that guy that makes the bone bridge pins is the GOAT, etc.

Before 2022 I steadily gigged in bars mostly. I must have done 25 a year for six years or so. Not a pro. Just an idiot playing songs that people like to hear because they remember them from their youth, mostly.

Anyway, I have played D28s, D18s, J45s and J50s, LG2s, Taks, and Taylors. My lives sound was 100% about the mix and the pickup, and not the guitar. Towards the end I mostly resorted to My Martin D15 with a K&K, or a Taylor.

now, I’m not a working musician playing for my nut, but any working musician, be they in crappy bars in Brooklyn or a Nashville, can play any number of fantastic offerings for under $1,000. 

the nice guitars we buy and play are marketed to us, just as Corvettes and Challengers are marketed to the guys a decade or so ahead of me. Older dudes with disposable incomes that love guitar forums. That’s what we are, and there ain’t no shame. I don’t begrudge the big guys for raising prices like every other product on this earth.

heck we all made money in crypto.  🙂

Edited by Salfromchatham

1 hour ago, RvrDxn said:

Nah, nothing that exciting or intriguing about me. I simply enjoy engaging in the unproductive behavior of being a jerk to people that I perceive as being jerks/crybabies. Life is more than what pick should I use, what strings work best on a 1973 blah blah blah, that guy that makes the bone bridge pins is the GOAT, etc.

Just a legend in your own mind.

4 hours ago, Dave F said:

What about RvrDxn? Is he a resurrected past member like Guitar Light or D-28? Something's familiar. 

Not sure, I was D-28 for a short while, and LP Trad Pro II, and  FZ Fan, but I'm not RvrDxn thought. He is is own entity. I don't remember Guitar Light at all. I've only been here since about 2013 or so.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

22 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Not sure, I was D-28 for a short while, and LP Trad Pro II, and  FZ Fan, but I'm not RvrDxn thought. He is is own entity. I don't remember Guitar Light at all. I've only been here since about 2013 or so.

Did not know you were D-28. That was short lived. I remember you being Sgt Pepper (no period after Sgt) for a short while. The FZ Fan was obvious to some members. You've sort of grown on me like a younger smarta$$ brother (which I do have) . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RvrDxn said:

Not quite, but working on it. I wanna be just like you, olie. All I need is a lobotomy and some tights.

Nice to have your deep insight an scintillating sense of humour here. A real class act.

14 hours ago, RvrDxn said:

Not quite, but working on it. I wanna be just like you, olie. All I need is a lobotomy and some tights.

Love The Breakfast Club. I've seen that movie so many times I can quote almost every line. 

Mess with the bull young man, and you'll get the horns.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

Did not know you were D-28. That was short lived. I remember you being Sgt Pepper (no period after Sgt) for a short while. The FZ Fan was obvious to some members. You've sort of grown on me like a younger smarta$$ brother (which I do have) . 

Yeah D-28 didn't last long. I was FZ Fan for a long time, and of course I am one. You either get my humor or you don't. Life is to short to have a stick up your a-ss 24/7.

13 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Before 2022 I steadily gigged in bars mostly. I must have done 25 a year for six years or so. Not a pro. Just an idiot playing songs that people like to hear because they remember them from their youth, mostly.

now, I’m not a working musician playing for my nut, but any working musician, be they in crappy bars in Brooklyn or a Nashville, can play any number of fantastic offerings for under $1,000. 

the nice guitars we buy and play are marketed to us, just as Corvettes and Challengers are marketed to the guys a decade or so ahead of me. Older dudes with disposable incomes that love guitar forums. That’s what we are, and there ain’t no shame. I don’t begrudge the big guys for raising prices like every other product on this earth.

🙂

I gigged for many decades, sometimes for a living, sometimes just weekends.

I did a duo last week with an old friend, we've done many in previous years, and there was an opening act guy.

My J-45 and 1933 Gibson mandolin were the finest, and most talked about instruments in the club, but they are just the instruments I own and play daily. Nowhere near the fancy high dollar rigs some forum members own.

But people also dug my imported Fender resonator.

18 hours ago, olie said:

Nice to have your deep insight an scintillating sense of humour here. A real class act.

Give it time, my friend. There will come a day when you lie down to sleep and you will not be able to stop thinking about me. It will bother you at first but I assure you, you will soon find comfort in the memories we shared.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RvrDxn said:

Give it time, my friend. There will come a day when you lie down to sleep and you will not be able to stop thinking about me. It will bother you at first but I assure you, you will soon find comfort in the memories we shared.

Now I'm certain that you are certifiable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

i for one think Rvr is a breath of fresh air here.  No harm in pushing back on members when they sidetrack threads with snarky comments.  Even if they are directed at Sgt. Pepper. 

I know that Pepper guy is such a d-ick. Listens to Zappa - Strike 1. Has his own opinions - Strike 2. Doesn't own a one J-45 even though there are 903 different models - Strike 3 . The rule is 3 strikes and your out. I probably have about 100 strikes.

Do I get at least one point for being an all acoustic guy? No, Okay.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

Nah.  No points ... you  get a TROPHY for being an acoustic guy.    Of course, everyone gets a trophy, so....    

Was trying to point out that when your surprisingly respectful and insightful comments on the actual topic of Gibson Pricing were getting trashed by someone, derailing the discussion - the fact  RvrDxn jumped in with his charm and wit,  was proportionate, appropriate and worked.    So he shouldn't be criticized.  Gee, someone even thought he might have been a reincarnation of D28 !  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Nah.  No points ... you  get a TROPHY for being an acoustic guy.    Of course, everyone gets a trophy, so....    

Was trying to point out that when your surprisingly respectful and insightful comments on the actual topic of Gibson Pricing were getting trashed by someone, derailing the discussion - the fact  RvrDxn jumped in with his charm and wit,  was proportionate, appropriate and worked.    So he shouldn't be criticized.  Gee, someone even thought he might have been a reincarnation of D28 !  

Maybe he’s Sarge’s alter ego

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

D-28 did re-incarnate, as Sgt. Pepper. I was D-28 for a few months. I think I am not anymore cause I was told, no forced to leave. I must have said crazier s-hit back then, as compared to now. 

Isn't no acoustic player left behind?

We are allowed our opinions as long as they align with Neil Young's. 

I see you got a trophy. I didn't. oh well. I'd rather have the poo emoji, at least that one makes me laugh.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, jt said:

So much ugliness in a thread about a simple question: has Gibson's MSRP increased faster than the rate of inflation. Sigh.

Just to get back on track, I do not see the MSRP advertised anymore to know if they increased.

I could have ended it with one post with a emphatic: 

YES

But I'd get told, you don't get it, you don't have a Gibson - Why are you here, its other peoples money and they can do what they want with it, ect ect. All good responses, but YES is the answer you were looking for.

And then again the answer is NO if your someone with money like Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney who have more money than God. Where buying a new guitar from Gibson like me dropping 5-er on something. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper