Gibson Brands Forums

ZZ Top - RAW

Rabs

Good stuff...

RAW is the sixteenth album of the ZZ Top. It was recorded in connection with the band’s wildly popular and critically lauded 2019 Netflix documentary That Little Ol’ Band From Texas, wich includes an interlude that finds the group’s classic line up, Billy Gibbons, Frank Beard and the late Dusty Hill to whose memory the album is dedicated,  gathering for a very intimate session at Gruene Hall, “the oldest continually run dance hall in Texas”.  That performance provided the basis for the album release. Billy and Frank say “..it was, in a very real way, a return to our roots. Just us and the music. We knew right then it was a very special circumstance, all of us in the same place at the same time and what a time it most certainly was! ‘The Dust’ may have left the building but he’s still very much with us.

• Like 1

Yeah. Apparently it was an on the spot thing. They hadnt planned to make an album but while they were all there doing some stuff for Netflix they just started playing and it was recorded...  So its a live album but without an audience..  It does sound really good.

Yeah, it sounds good! But then, I have never heard anything live by ZZ that sounded bad. 

And if you never saw them live, I feel sorry for you. I saw them about 5  years ago, and I am so glad I did. They were incredible. Absolutely one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

13 hours ago, brad1 said:

Yeah, it sounds good! But then, I have never heard anything live by ZZ that sounded bad. 

And if you never saw them live, I feel sorry for you. I saw them about 5  years ago, and I am so glad I did. They were incredible. Absolutely one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

I did see them once, I think it was in the mid to late 90s...   Cant remember much really.

13 hours ago, brad1 said:

Would be better if too it was one of the best concerts you ever HEARD!  [wink]  Sorry.  Couldn't resist.

Whitefang

14 hours ago, brad1 said:

I saw them in 2006. K W Shepard opened. He was really good. Ted (The Ego-mouth) Nugent was next. He was okay when he wasn't talking political BS between songs. He did play The Great White Buffalo. And he is such a manly man, and he shot a cross bow into a cardboard cut out of Saddam Hussein. I was so impressed he could hit a non moving cardboard cut out from 10 yards away. What a terrific hunter he is. Then ZZ Top. They were great. They only played two lame songs from their 80's trash (Legs and Gimme All Your Lovin') the rest was all killer and no filler. Manic Mechanic was the icing on the cake.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'm actually seeing (and hearing them Whitefang 🙄) play on Friday in NH.

They're part of Willie Nelson's Outlaw Festival, I was toying with seeing Willie and them being on the bill cemented the deal.  I wanted to see them over the years but just never got around to it.

5 minutes ago, nhwildbill said:

I'm actually seeing (and hearing them Whitefang 🙄) play on Friday in NH.

They're part of Willie Nelson's Outlaw Festival, I was toying with seeing Willie and them being on the bill cemented the deal.  I wanted to see them over the years but just never got around to it.

Nope 

you’ll be seeing 2/3 of them. 
without Dusty they’re not ZZTOP

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Nope 

you’ll be seeing 2/3 of them. 
without Dusty they’re not ZZTOP

True, like The Who, Rolling Stones and lots of other bands that have lost members.

It'll be close enough for me.

Edited by nhwildbill

Back in 1973 I was in Wildwood NJ for the weekend with a friend.  We where walking up to the boardwalk and passed the Wildwood Convention hall and we saw Savoy Brown was playing that night.  We loved them - I think it was 5 bucks to get in. The Curtains opened - no opening band and Savoy started Rocking! They Where Great! They played for about 1 hour and then the curtains closed and reopened and there where 3 clean shaving guys wearing cowboy hats in NJ. We where like what the Fuuuu... The Guy in center stage was holding a guitar shaped like Texas! And as he started to play the Hall just want Crazy...  and the rest is History...  Savoy Brown knew the Talent in these 3 men and opened for them. It was a unforgettable experience.

Edited by Gasman