Gibson Brands Forums

Woodstock ‘99 Documentary on Netflix

tx-ogre

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My wife and I went to Austin in 2010 or so. It is so far the only place in Texas I liked. Probably cause its not like most parts of Texas. Its more laid back. I remember my wife was working at the Historical Conference she was at and I took the rental car and drove around the city. Driving back towards the hotel (we stayed by the University of Texas at the Marriott where the convention was), I saw a very tan, very naked guy riding a beach cruiser bike down a main street, I did mention he was totally naked right?

Sounds about right.  Austin has Hippie Hollow Park up on Lake Travis, the only clothing-optional beach in the state of Texas.  Might have been where that mope got his full-body tan.  There is till a local motto, “Keep Austin Weird.”  Austin has changed a lot though, especially since we moved here.  With the population explosion, it’s turning into just another big city, with the problems that come with the growth.  A lot of local historical locations (restaurants, music venues, etc.) have either closed or are under threat of closure due to population expansion and/or COVID-related financial problems.  Even the Broken Spoke isn’t immune.  Developers are building condos for yuppies and such all around it and the owners have been pressured to sell so the saloon can be torn down.  6th Street, probably the biggest and most historic entertainment district in the city, has turned into a war zone, with shootings and other acts of violence becoming routine.  It’s pretty sad.

59 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Sounds about right.  Austin has Hippie Hollow Park up on Lake Travis, the only clothing-optional beach in the state of Texas.  Might have been where that mope got his full-body tan.  There is till a local motto, “Keep Austin Weird.”  Austin has changed a lot though, especially since we moved here.  With the population explosion, it’s turning into just another big city, with the problems that come with the growth.  A lot of local historical locations (restaurants, music venues, etc.) have either closed or are under threat of closure due to population expansion and/or COVID-related financial problems.  Even the Broken Spoke isn’t immune.  Developers are building condos for yuppies and such all around it and the owners have been pressured to sell so the saloon can be torn down.  6th Street, probably the biggest and most historic entertainment district in the city, has turned into a war zone, with shootings and other acts of violence becoming routine.  It’s pretty sad.

I saw Alejandro Escovito at the Continental Club the night before we came home. James McMurtry (probably spelled wrong) was playing the day after. I was pissed. Saw him open for Jason Isabell about 6 years ago, so I’m un-pissed now.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The City is San Francisco. No Californian says San Francisco, it’s always you want to go to The City?

Probably wannabe's.  SF is in no way in the same league as NYC.    Maybe you heard wrong and they were saying  "The shitty".    

(apologies to any offended by the word -  it is in Merriam-Webster and the joke / play on words would have been less effective if i had instead wrote    "The &$%#"  

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 9:20 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Woodstock is over 100 miles north of  THE CITY.     If you are from "Greater New York" - everything is considered 'upstate'  except Long Island.  At least that's my recollection having been born and raised there.  

I get that sort of thing.  People in Southeast Michigan think everything North of Flint is "Up North" .  My brothers in law had property in Gladwin, MI and considered IT "up North" even though that town is just a shade north of the middle of the mitten(lower peninsula).    I  consider "up north"  to be anywhere in the upper third of the mitten  and including the UP (upper peninsula).

I don't know anyone in Michigan, who lives outside of Detroit who calls it "The city".  They usually say Detroit.  It IS the city's name after all.  Some of the ignorant and intolerant still call it "Coontown".   I mentioned that once to some African-American co-workers and we had a laugh about it when one told me, "It's just as well.  We always called the suburbs, "Pecker woods."  [biggrin]

Whitefang

8 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Right watched it all now. Ep #3 last night.

A festival ending in a riot and burning & looting.

Kryst what a depressing example of mankind was that. 💀

Man you gave away the ending. You could have given us a spoiler alert. That was the angry end of the Grunge youth angst. I can't use my words, so I have to break and destroy stuff to feel empowered. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

23 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I get that sort of thing.  People in Southeast Michigan think everything North of Flint is "Up North" .  My brothers in law had property in Gladwin, MI and considered IT "up North" even though that town is just a shade north of the middle of the mitten(lower peninsula).    I  consider "up north"  to be anywhere in the upper third of the mitten  and including the UP (upper peninsula).

I don't know anyone in Michigan, who lives outside of Detroit who calls it "The city".  They usually say Detroit.  It IS the city's name after all.  Some of the ignorant and intolerant still call it "Coontown".   I mentioned that once to some African-American co-workers and we had a laugh about it when one told me, "It's just as well.  We always called the suburbs, "Pecker woods."  [biggrin]

Whitefang

I though up North in Michigan, is the Sault. All the rest a Lowpers. My mother in law was born in Sault Ste. Marie. My aunt lives in Bellaire.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

I can only speak to how people in Southeastern Michigan think and feel about it.   And pardon me, but I'm still trying to figure out who your Mother in law saw born in Sault Ste. Marie.  [wink]

Or are one of us dyslexic?  [biggrin]   And yep, that's "up North" for sure.  IMHO Yoopers live in the most beautiful peninsula of the state.  The 1959 movie ANATOMY OF A MURDER, based on a novel about an actual murder at Big Bay's Lumberjack tavern was filmed in several locations in the UP.   I've been to a few of them.  All on the shore of Lake Superior.  Of Edmond Fitzgerald fame.  [wink]

Whitefang

10 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I can only speak to how people in Southeastern Michigan think and feel about it.   And pardon me, but I'm still trying to figure out who your Mother in law saw born in Sault Ste. Marie.  [wink]

Or are one of us dyslexic?  [biggrin]   And yep, that's "up North" for sure.  IMHO Yoopers live in the most beautiful peninsula of the state.  The 1959 movie ANATOMY OF A MURDER, based on a novel about an actual murder at Big Bay's Lumberjack tavern was filmed in several locations in the UP.   I've been to a few of them.  All on the shore of Lake Superior.  Of Edmond Fitzgerald fame.  [wink]

Whitefang

My Neanderthal fingers smash wrong keys.

On 8/15/2022 at 7:08 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Man you gave away the ending. You could have given us a spoiler alert. That was the angry end of the Grunge youth angst. I can't use my words, so I have to break and destroy stuff to feel empowered. 

Maybe it's a Seattle thing. Hendrix used to destroy perfectly good guitars too. 

God knows why. 

The record for guitar smashing is held by Matt Bellamy of Muse who smashed 140 guitars in the course of a single tour.

Hendrix set fire to his guitar on 3 occasions only.  He may have smashed a few others but nowhere near as many as Pete Townshend.

Edited by jdgm

36 minutes ago, jdgm said:

The record for guitar smashing is held by Matt Bellamy of Muse who smashed 140 guitars inthe course of a single tour.

Hendrix set fire to his guitar on 3 occasions only.  He may have smashed a few others but nowhere near as many as Pete Townshend.

And you know, back in "the day" that crap bothered those of us(and there were plenty) who couldn't even afford a ragged off the shelf Montgomery ward's Airline or Sears Silvertone instrument.  Or even some cheap-o Teisco.  Most of us didn't have parents who indulged us, thinking getting together in a band with your buddies was a waste of time when you could be out there having a "real job".   :rolleyes:  And why waste good money on some noisy guitar when you need school clothes and we all need groceries? 

Whitefang

10 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Ritchie Blackmore: The 1st time I saw anyone bash a guitar.

Never saw an acoustic guitarist do this. 

I’m sure Andre Segovia must have, in a fit of anger, after not nailing perfectly Bach’s Etude for cello in B# Minor BWV 666, smashed to bits a very expensive classical guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper