Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Std 1986?

duluthdan

Guitar I sold years ago and reaquired. The studio said they made no changes but I think they did.   I am not an electric guitar guy by far- but this played spectacularly when I sold it, now it’s just mediocre. 

SN 91811441 (near as my eyes can tell)

4UTGZIv.jpg
mid this nut authentic I thought it was white bone. 
1SmTanh.jpg

does this bridge look right for an 86 Standard  looks weird to me  

Any help appreciated  

Yes theres seems to ba a graphite nut which is no bad thing (but the strings lots may need to be deepened a bit).. Also, its hard to tell from the pics but they may have replaced the saddles with  graphite ones too.. Are they black or is that just the reflections?

Either way, I dont think thats a bad thing. It all comes down to the setup..  Maybe the trussrod needs tweaking or the bridge needs lowering or something simple like that.. Take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get a good setup.

As Rabs says, replacement nut....hard to tell but from the angle of pic it looks like the trebles are going through the nut slots a bit crooked.  The saddle arrangement of 4 one way and the 2 bass saddles the other is not uncommon.  With a good set up the guy should find and sort out all the little things that affect it.

regardless of what "those" guys at the studio said, the nut and the bridge were apparently swapped out. 

Those are not stock.  if you didn't do that, then, a fair question is who did?  Someone had to, they don't change themselves.  [scared]

I would just start over with a fresh setup, new strings, check the nut slots, check the intonation, neck relief, and reset the action to where it's more to your liking.

Slowly dial it back in to where it was before you off'd it.   if you don't know how to do this, take it to someone who does.

It's trial and error but electrics are far easier to get dialed in than an acoustic, so IMHO, it's probably just a matter of the right set up really.

• Like 1

Once I sell a guitar, I think I would not ever want it back. I sold it for a reason. The only ones I would want back now are the ones I could now sell to people for 3x what I got them for. Other than that, I'm usually on the hunt for the next one. I have a few I will keep till I die, and even then if someone wants to plop down a stupid amount of cash, I might sell.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

All good stuff said here. As long as the neck can be made straight, should be pretty straightforward something - and relatively minor - that can be done to make a guitar play good - or better, take your pick. Simple things like are the frets in good shape - dressing them isn’t too expensive and it makes a guitar play really good when done correctly lol! Make sure the nut slots are the right depth… little things that make a big difference; nothing major here. That Studio probably is worth putting a little money into to make it play better if it needs something as mentioned. They’re good guitars… again, the truss rod “truss rods”, and no neck cracks = good guitar. 

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Once I sell a guitar, I think I would not ever want it back. I sold it for a reason. The only ones I would want back now are the ones I could now sell to people for 3x what I got them for. Other than that, I'm usually on the hunt for the next one. I have a few I will keep till I die, and even then if someone wants to plop down a stupid amount of cash, I might sell.

I know, right?   There are very few regrets I have once I move on from something.

Only one I can think of was my very first telecaster that I got in 9th grade while in Jr. High.   I probably should have kept that one, but I could not afford today to buy it back.

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

I know, right?   There are very few regrets I have once I move on from something.

Only one I can think of was my very first telecaster that I got in 9th grade while in Jr. High.   I probably should have kept that one, but I could not afford today to buy it back.

I had a mid 70's Tele with the two wide pups and 4 knobs. and huge a pickguard.  I wonder what that would be worth now. I had mine in '82 or so. Sold it like a fool.

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I had a mid 70's Tele with the two wide pups and 4 knobs. and huge a pickguard.  I wonder what that would be worth now. I had mine in '82 or so. Sold it like a fool.

you'd probably be able to turn it around for a D45, but that would mean you'd be selling it,  AGAIN!!   

I'm going with what Steve says above...

On 9/4/2022 at 10:26 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I remember at about 16 or 17, lipping off to my dad it kitchen. Then next thing I knew I got Will Smith'ed across the face. Its called tough love.

yea  that would do it..

never recall a single time my dad hit me or either of my sisters.  It just wasn't his way,  there were days when I probably deserved it.  And my mom wasn't afraid to resort to the rod.  but again, probably deserved it..

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

yea  that would do it..

never recall a single time my dad hit me or either of my sisters.  It just wasn't his way,  there were days when I probably deserved it.  And my mom wasn't afraid to resort to the rod.  but again, probably deserved it..

My moms weapon was the wooden spoon.