Gibson Brands Forums

What Guitar was the one that got away?

Have you ever played a Guitar and lost it? Have you ever saw a Guitar on the Store that you loved and it gets an unbelievable price increase or gets discontinued?

If so which Guitar was it and how did it get away?

Mine was a Fender Deluxe American HSS they went up about 400 dollars up in a week and i got so angry decided to start buying Exclusively Gibson Les Paul.

I had the money, I was so close Why? Anyways i told fender i love you but you cant be cheating me on my money like this so i saved up the extra cash on got me a Gibson Les Paul Heritage Cherry Sunburst, My Strat gets jealous.

Jeez, I dunno...

$60,000 '56 Goldtop I didn't buy because I didn't have the cash on me?

There was the '59 that went for only $250k.

[-o<

I've sold dozens of guitars over the years, wish I had kept a few of them.

Not because of their rarity or anything, they were just guitars I decided I didn't need since I rarely played them.

I didn't make a bunch of money on any I sold, so it's not like I really got ahead or anything....

I rarely make snap decisions on guitars, so remorse is rare for me.

As far as those I should have bought?

I use cash only, I've NEVER used a credit card for a toy, so yeah, I see guitars all the time I wish I could buy.

The ones I REALLY wanted, I scared up the cash and bought them.

There was a Telecaster at Midnight Music in Las Vegas about 15 years ago. I don't know if it was vintage or RI or just a good Standard tele, but it played and felt perfect. It sounded like no other tele before or since, and I'm not much of a Tele guy.

I though about it all night and decided to cut my trip short, go back, and get it. It Was Gone [-o<

I haven't been to Las Vegas in several years.

Are there any good guitar shops up there now? (Guitar Center doesn't count)

There was a vintage shop there that allowed me to play the '56 Goldtop I mentioned earlier. Name escapes me.

Couple others I liked, but that was 5 years ago.

Of course, Ed Roman....

You guys think I'M an *** hole, shake hands with THAT guy....

Wow.

:-)

Neo-

It might not count, but there is a big Guitar Center just off the freeway. It might be good for another Guitar Center Experiene.[-o<

But really it's changed so much there I didn't recognize it, when I went last month. Didn't get out of Circus Circus. There's roller coaster's all over the ple and the strip is over run by Huge Hotels that look like Disney Land Attractions. I have'nt been into Vegas since the ruined Freemont Street.

I've heard the Ed Roman was an *** hole from a few people that live there.

Tomorrow I'll call my friend up there and see if Midnight Music is still there. It was nice, Small but full of good high end gear.

I was doing a garden party in 78. I had three guitars with me. at the end of the night I had two guitars and three cases. During the end of the evening my Epiphone Hummingbird tweleve string guitar vanished and no one saw how it had walked away. I still kick myself today trying to figure out what I could have done different.

Just last month a desperate guy on an ibanez forum messaged me about one of his guitars. It was a 18 year old Japanese rg, It would probably go for 600-700 used. He was offering to drive it to my house for 200 dollars just because he had major gas. I wish I could have got it but my parents said they would sell me to gypsies...

Back when I was living in Florida and running sound for a band a music store I used to buy supplies from was going out of business. I bought a killer 60 something SG for $200 or $300 bucks... I didn't even play guitar I just thought it was a good deal... I kept it for a while, I even jammed with a friend although I had no idea what I was doing, it was fun though. I eventually sold it. Wish I kept it now...

1954 Fender Strat that sold locally with an old tweed amp in 1990 for $300. I believe Brian Fischer ended up with it and it is pictured in the Strat book by Andres Duch_ whatever. It's the one with the chip taken out of the rhythm pickup.

It was under the couch of an old trailer and it had belonged to the guy's dead wife. He had no idea what he had. And the Bible Thumper that robbed him for $300 wasn't about to tell him.

Around 5 or 6 years ago, I played a Gibson X-Plorer in metallic gold at the Great American Guitar Show held in Valley Forge, PA, that played really nice, sounded great and was a real stunner on top of it all. Like most purchases that are at least several hundred bucks, I couldn't convince myself to just buy the damned thing on the spot so I passed at the time. Wish I had just done it.

When I was in my teens, I was lusting after a '56 LP Jr. at Rainbow Music in NY for $375. I backed out because I didn't feel safe ordering by mail, but now I wished I would have bought it.

Of course I'm the idiot who sold an early 80s Hamer Sunburst, so my judgement is a little off.

Archived