Gibson Brands Forums

Selling Guitars

Sgt. Pepper

24 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Looks like an awesome Guitar! I haven’t seen a 3 Piece back on anything other than the D-35 before.. Looks beautiful! Do they offer them with Electronics?

Bet it will sound fantastic! 

Yes, but play acoustics, that are acoustic.

44 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know. I need to get up to Canada before it freezes again.

Chief,

Canada is not yet frozen, and won't be again for a while yet.

Probably not until the next Ice Age, so you've still got a bit of time before it happens.

Tons of time for someone to alert the appropriate Authorities before you try to sneak across the border on a Dumpling Run.

RBSinTo

I just messaged a guy with an M-36 on Verb. He has make an offer as an option, and I asked what his best price is? Now I need to wait and see. I hope he  doesn't comes back with the same price he wants for it, its a good price, but I hate when people have MAO, and then want the same as their starting point. Happened to me a lot. I think MAO defaults to someones sale page unless they de-select it. I always do and then I get "hey will you take this for it". No, I didn't have MAO as an option. So once again - No.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have had 3 guitars for sale for months, and this week I sold two of them. It took a lot longer than I expected. Today I got good old cash for one, didn't have to ship it, and tomorrow I am shipping the second one, and the funds will be in my account a day or two after I ship it. Now time to start the quest for a used M-36. If you have never played one, they are incredible. It's Martin's J size body, now called M. They used to call 0000, and it is not deep like a dread, but slimmer like a 000, and it has a 3 piece back like a D-35.

It started life as, don't quote me because I don't remember the exact numbers and letters, Martin F-8 or maybe F-9?  An archtop type of guitar.  David Bromberg had someone in the Village? maybe up in NYC take off the top and put an acoustic type spruce top on that rim and back.  That became the M-38 which then became the M-36 as well.  About the time KsDaddy's dad bought his M-38 I was up in NYC looking at a 38 and a 36 in a glass case, and I told my new young wife that "someday I'd have one of them" meaning the 36.  It's a great guitar that I almost sold earlier this year.

rct

34 minutes ago, rct said:

It started life as, don't quote me because I don't remember the exact numbers and letters, Martin F-8 or maybe F-9?  An archtop type of guitar.  David Bromberg had someone in the Village? maybe up in NYC take off the top and put an acoustic type spruce top on that rim and back.  That became the M-38 which then became the M-36 as well.  About the time KsDaddy's dad bought his M-38 I was up in NYC looking at a 38 and a 36 in a glass case, and I told my new young wife that "someday I'd have one of them" meaning the 36.  It's a great guitar that I almost sold earlier this year.

rct

I know, some clown wanted it. I've played two. One in a store in California and one in Virginia. The last one was new and was $3199, at the time, and now like you posted they are $3499. The one in VA had a p/u in it, and I knew I could find a used one without a p/u for less. Nothing like a 3 piece back.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know, some clown wanted it. I've played two. One in a store in California and one in Virginia. The last one was new and was $3199, at the time, and now like you posted they are $3499. The one in VA had a p/u in it, and I knew I could find a used one without a p/u for less. Nothing like a 3 piece back.

It sound enormous, but not just enormous, CFMartin Enormous.  It literally fills all available space with sound, and that space filling is just as dynamic as the playing.  Really well balanced  projection.  I'm not good at Guitar Words.

rct

31 minutes ago, rct said:

It sound enormous, but not just enormous, CFMartin Enormous.  It literally fills all available space with sound, and that space filling is just as dynamic as the playing.  Really well balanced  projection.  I'm not good at Guitar Words.

rct

I’ve seen in printed a bunch of times that the M-36 is Martin’s best kept secret. They might even make a hardened J-45 lover weep like a newborn.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’ve seen in printed a bunch of times that the M-36 is Martin’s best kept secret. They might even make a hardened J-45 lover weep like a newborn.

I've had two J-45s right next to it.  Even their owners could hear the blanket thrown over their guitars compared to this thing.

rct

5 minutes ago, rct said:

I've had two J-45s right next to it.  Even their owners could hear the blanket thrown over their guitars compared to this thing.

rct

They just have an amazing tone. Like when I played a 000-28EC. I have a 000-28 and it’s my #1, but after hearing an EC, I have no idea what is different about them, but those EC’s are next level. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They just have an amazing tone. Like when I played a 000-28EC. I have a 000-28 and it’s my #1, but after hearing an EC, I have no idea what is different about them, but those EC’s are next level. 

They really are.  Even the blue EC 28 sounded just divine.  If I could find one, next one for me would be OM-35.

rct

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That has to be a discontinued model. I’ve never seen or heard of them.

Once in a while a dealer has them in, I think they ask to have them made for them.  I've had two in my hands and should have bought either but, you know, close to 4K.  It's a serious decision!

rct

4 minutes ago, rct said:

Once in a while a dealer has them in, I think they ask to have them made for them.  I've had two in my hands and should have bought either but, you know, close to 4K.  It's a serious decision!

rct

Just man up to a 000-42, or an OM-42 at $6399. YOLO.

The guy got back to me, and said he is firm on the price, but doesn't really want to sell it, but wants a new amp, and that is why its for sale. Huh? Then take down MAO, bozo. You have MAO as an option, and I don't want to go back and forth 9 times till you agree to knock off $75. Or remove your guitar from Verb.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

ok I just got it 'Make An Offer'

I had previously done some reseach

AcronymDefinitionMAOMove as OneMAOMain Astronomical Observatory (Ukraine)MAOMed Andra OrdMAOMiss America OrganizationMAOMedicare Advantage Organization (insurance)MAOMid-Atlantic OceanMAOMono Amine OxidaseMAOMedical Administrative OfficerMAOMid America Oireachtas (Irish dance)MAOMaximum Allowable Offer (real estate)MAOMethyl AluminoxaneMAOManaus, Amazonas, Brazil - Eduardo Gomes (Airport Code)MAOMy Arrogant OpinionMAOMaximum Allowable OutageMAOMiddelbaar Agrarisch OnderwijsMAOMajor Attack OptionMAOMailing Address OnlyMAOModified Audit OpinionMAOManeuver Affairs OfficerMAOMotivation Ability Opportunity (consumer behavior)MAOMultiple Acronym OverloadMAOManagerial Accounting Office

oh yes and lots of these

20099284564772734_2.jpeg?resize=270%252C

On 9/17/2022 at 2:49 PM, MissouriPicker said:

Our police department recommends that if you’re buying off of Craig’s List or some other similar site, that you don’t go to their house or have them come to yours.  They said if at all possible, meet them in the police department parking lot where there are numerous cameras.  There have always been thieves, but today is a very different world.

I'm late to this party, but I have a good guitar selling story.

Years ago, a friend of mine was selling a pre-production PRS. He found a brick and mortar shop up in Mass. that was interested. These guys were willing to pay cash and drive down to Brooklyn to pick it up. I forgot what he sold it for, but at the time, it was a boatload. He doesn't want them to go to his house. He has them come to mine. So, there's my friend, my brother (a police officer) and me. It felt like a TV show drug deal. These two guys come in and check out the guitar. Once they were satisfied, one guy tells the other to go out and get the cash. He goes out and comes back with a backpack filled with money. The money is counted and  the deal was done. After that, we sat around and had a good laugh. We were afraid of a set-up and so were they. They told us they wary of coming to Brooklyn, because they didn't even know there were good neighborhoods here. They said the only things the knew about Brooklyn was what they've seen on the news.