Gibson Brands Forums

Selling Guitars

Sgt. Pepper

So I sold my D-15M yesterday. I'm gonna box it up in a bit, and get my butt to the PO to ship it. What fun it is selling and all the fun questions to answer. The guy who bought it, after a day wanted to stop the transaction, due to getting an unexpected tax bill from a few years back. I said OK. Never expected to hear from him again. Well he is the guy who re-purchased it. Tomorrow I am supposed to meet a guy who lives in Charlotte, NC, at the Guitar Center in N. Myrtle Beach to look at my 00-18. Of course I have heard the - I am coming to look at your guitar a few times. The last time the guy was gonna drive from Atlanta, he said he was coming my way for work, and was interested in it. Of course he bought someone else's, and didn't come. One  guy thought I was some sort of Machinist, and wanted me to take caliper readings at different points on the guitar, and he wanted every nick, dent, scratch and breath on it documented. The guitar in question is a 000-18 and has two dings on it. One is abut 2mm and is almost impossible to photo. I have no calipers, and only that credit card sized metal set up ruler from Stew Mac. And lastly I do not have Make An Offer selected as a thing for you to . . .  well make an offer on my guitar, so why are you asking? I am a little sad the 00-18 is going but I want a M-36, and if both sell I will have the funds if I decide to get one.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I live just a five minute drive from a music shop that sells new instruments and will buy, sell or trade used ones.   Now, I don't own but two guitars, but if I wished to sell one of them, that's the first place I'd head for.   I've read in this and other forums of people who tried to sell their guitars on Craigslist or some other sketchy method and all the pains in the a-ss it would be.  I'd rather chance going to a pawn shop, and when asked how much I want for it i'd tell them a figure twice as much as I really want and maybe they'll offer me a decent figure.  [wink]

No perfect, sure.  But, there's GOT to be a better(and more sensible)  way to do this than what you've just described.

Whitefang

34 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I live just a five minute drive from a music shop that sells new instruments and will buy, sell or trade used ones.   Now, I don't own but two guitars, but if I wished to sell one of them, that's the first place I'd head for.   I've read in this and other forums of people who tried to sell their guitars on Craigslist or some other sketchy method and all the pains in the a-ss it would be.  I'd rather chance going to a pawn shop, and when asked how much I want for it i'd tell them a figure twice as much as I really want and maybe they'll offer me a decent figure.  [wink]

No perfect, sure.  But, there's GOT to be a better(and more sensible)  way to do this than what you've just described.

Whitefang

I could go the Craiglist route, but around here most of the people are old professional drunks, and not interested in nice guitars only booze in their Yeti mugs. The shop in VA that I used to go when I lived there would be the only shop I would trade or sell to. There are places around here like GC and a few stand alone store that will give you like 60% of what they think its worth, cause they are gonna a-ss rape you on the price, and then turn around and jack up the price, and sell it themselves for what they can get.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Our police department recommends that if you’re buying off of Craig’s List or some other similar site, that you don’t go to their house or have them come to yours.  They said if at all possible, meet them in the police department parking lot where there are numerous cameras.  There have always been thieves, but today is a very different world.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Our police department recommends that if you’re buying off of Craig’s List or some other similar site, that you don’t go to their house or have them come to yours.  They said if at all possible, meet them in the police department parking lot where there are numerous cameras.  There have always been thieves, but today is a very different world.

No one will ever come to my house to look what I am selling. I am meeting the guy at Guitar Center tomorrow, if he shows. If he brings cash. We will both go to the ATM and we will both stand there as I make the deposit, and I am sure the ATM at my bank (BofA) will detect counterfeit bills when making a deposit. If he thinks he is paying with a check, that wont fly. If he does PP, once I see the funds in my PP account he can take the guitar.

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Those Guys will listen to you but they’ll still only offer you Wholesale minus reconditioning cost.. It’s usually not more than 50% of what they’re selling for… That’s just how the business works.. But, it’s no hassle.. 

There is a new sport here  - in Austin and in San Antonio - and I'm guessing in every major city -   called  JUGGING.   Jogging/Mugging.  They scope out someone making a large withdrawl at a bank or ATM, follow them  and when the victim stops - someone wearing a hoodie and Nikes jumps out of the following car, makes believe he's jogging and then mugs you.   I  guess it's just a spin off of robbing someone selling something off CraigsList.  Brave New World  !

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

There is a new sport here  - in Austin and in San Antonio - and I'm guessing in every major city -   called  JUGGING.   Jogging/Mugging.  They scope out someone making a large withdrawl at a bank or ATM, follow them  and when the victim stops - someone wearing a hoodie and Nikes jumps out of the following car, makes believe he's jogging and then mugs you.   I  guess it's just a spin off of robbing someone selling something off CraigsList.  Brave New World  !

That’s not a sport, sport. 
That’s a felony 

46 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I’ll just bring my 9mm to be on the safe side.

I’ve been buying and selling five-ever (that’s one longer than forever).  98% of my guitar sales are eBay and reverb so I don’t get too wound up in where to meet local sales. I used to do many sales in the parking lot at work because it was in a convenient place and my job allowed me to wander away from my desk with nobody caring. 

Lately the market is so horrible though…. I’ve had a 1983 Gibson Sonex for sale for 3 weeks at $650 with no bites whatsoever. I also peddle a lot of junk on eBay. I mean, I am a hardcore bottom feeder and if I can find a used ball of twine at the bottom of a junk box and sell it for 80 cents, I’ll do it. Lately people aren’t even buying that stuff. In my 23 years on eBay I’ve found that if people are happy, they buy. Right now people are afraid. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I’ve been buying and selling five-ever (that’s one longer than forever).  98% of my guitar sales are eBay and reverb so I don’t get too wound up in where to meet local sales. I used to do many sales in the parking lot at work because it was in a convenient place and my job allowed me to wander away from my desk with nobody caring. 

Lately the market is so horrible though…. I’ve had a 1983 Gibson Sonex for sale for 3 weeks at $650 with no bites whatsoever. I also peddle a lot of junk on eBay. I mean, I am a hardcore bottom feeder and if I can find a used ball of twine at the bottom of a junk box and sell it for 80 cents, I’ll do it. Lately people aren’t even buying that stuff. In my 23 years on eBay I’ve found that if people are happy, they buy. Right now people are afraid. 

I checked out your Sonex on Reverb, sir. 

Very nice!

Wishing that I had a little more jingo (and a lot less honey-do landscaping project$ on my plate right now). 
🤫

Sold the 00-18 a few hours ago. Met up at GC, and went down to the ATM to make the deposit. I was not Jugged (I do like jugs of all sizes though) while making the deposit. Tomorrow I mail the D-15M. I was not kidding about my 9, it was in the car, and of course loaded. I was not going to be the victim of a jugging. I'd let Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga both jug me though. At the same time.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

Hope both sales go to completion without a hitch, and you are able to get that M-36 you lust after.

Now you are absolutely certain that you won't be buying that blue j-45 with the sparkles instead.

Just checking.

RBSinTo

I kicked the Gibson habit when King Henry was ousted. Cold Turkey too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

That makes a lot of sense. I sell a lot of vintage, antique and collectable stuff on eBay, and lately my stuff hasn't even gotten views let alone bids. 

56 minutes ago, saturn said:

That makes a lot of sense. I sell a lot of vintage, antique and collectable stuff on eBay, and lately my stuff hasn't even gotten views let alone bids. 

I have had 3 guitars for sale for months, and this week I sold two of them. It took a lot longer than I expected. Today I got good old cash for one, didn't have to ship it, and tomorrow I am shipping the second one, and the funds will be in my account a day or two after I ship it. Now time to start the quest for a used M-36. If you have never played one, they are incredible. It's Martin's J size body, now called M. They used to call 0000, and it is not deep like a dread, but slimmer like a 000, and it has a 3 piece back like a D-35.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Now time to start the quest for a used M-36. If you have never played one, they are incredible. It's Martin's J size body, now called M. They used to call 0000, and it is not deep like a dread, but slimmer like a 000, and it has a 3 piece back like a D-35.

I’ve got a 1981 M-38 that my father bought new. 

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have had 3 guitars for sale for months, and this week I sold two of them. It took a lot longer than I expected. Today I got good old cash for one, didn't have to ship it, and tomorrow I am shipping the second one, and the funds will be in my account a day or two after I ship it. Now time to start the quest for a used M-36. If you have never played one, they are incredible. It's Martin's J size body, now called M. They used to call 0000, and it is not deep like a dread, but slimmer like a 000, and it has a 3 piece back like a D-35.

Chief,

I don't know how easy it will be to find a used M-36, or even a new one in your neck of the woods, but just so you know, the Twelfth Fret here in Toronto has a new one in stock. $4,289.00 CDN. Taxes and Dumplings are extra.

If you're interested, here is the link:

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/c-f-martin-m-36/

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

I don't know how easy it will be to find a used M-36, or even a new one in your neck of the woods, but just so you know, the Twelfth Fret here in Toronto has a new one in stock. $4,289.00 CDN. Taxes and Dumplings are extra.

If you're interested, here is the link:

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/c-f-martin-m-36/

RBSinTo

There are about 7 on Reverb. One is in excellent condition for $2700.

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Looks like an awesome Guitar! I haven’t seen a 3 Piece back on anything other than the D-35 before.. Looks beautiful! Do they offer them with Electronics?

Bet it will sound fantastic!