Gibson Brands Forums

1983 Gibson Heritage Explorer Confusion/Misidentification

Sheepdog1969

During the decades that I have spent trying to research info about my '83 Custom Shop Edition Explorer that is NOT a Heritage, (thankfully finding many answers here), I have been shocked to find out how difficult it is to get accurate and complete original specifications for the '83 Heritages, save for at least one or two knowledgeable soul who's info I have been relying on. This info void has predictably led to far too many sale listings,  many from reputable businesses, falsely claiming the guitar they are selling is a 1983 Gibson Explorer Heritage, (and thus listing said at around $10k). Since there were only 100 of the '83 Explorer Heritages made, combined with the amazing tone, versatility, desirability of '83 Korina Explorers, and the just plain cool factor of a quality built Explorer, this lack of spec data is fueling deception/fraud in the marketplace.  Nearly every page that pulls up from Goggle/Bing/etc. search about '83 Explorers, (and for Gibson Explorers in general), contains at least one for sale listing for a 1983 Gibson Explorer Korina Heritage. Unbelievably, many listings claim to be selling a "1983 Gibson Explorer Custom Shop Edition Korina Heritage". These listings mostly include detailed pics of lovely gold hardware adorned Explorers, including pics of the back of the headstock showing the Custom Shop Edition Logo and the "year correct" 8 digit pressed serial number. For those who are understandably afflicted by the information void about '83 Heritages, these listings (and the 5 digit price tag) may seem accurate.  (It is important to note that an '83 Explorer need NOT be a Heritage to demand a 5 digit price tag, and many of the inaccurate listings mentioned are very fine guitars well worth 5 digit prices. Actually, if values of desirable '83  Explorers are increased by rarity, then non-Heritage, 1983 Gibson Custom Shop Edition Korina Explorers in Ivory with hard tails, black pick guards, and gold "speed knobs" may be more valuable than any '83 Heritage, simply based on production numbers.)  Based on what I have learned to date, I will list below the specifications, (easily identifiable traits/markings ) that distinguish the two desirable '83 Explorer lines from each other, and from the "standard" Explorers.  Asterisked data is based on only a single source and may be incorrect, (updates/corrections from experts on said would be much appreciated). For those who will undoubtable try to claim that the Gibson "Custom Shop" did not formerly exist in 1983, Custom Shop Edition logo's/markings (two color "inked" logo) are NOT the same thing and PROVEABLY/UNDENIABLY exist as a major '83 Explorer line identifier! 

1983 Gibson Explorer Heritage

1. All 100 are "Natural finish" Korina

2. None have Gold hardware

3. All had Silver/Nickel tone metal hardware, including covered *Humbuckers ( need info on the exact name of this pickup.) and "Tulip" style tuning pegs. 

4. * The tuning mechanism is the "50's style", (w/said "tulip" knobs), but the actual "name" of the tuners escapes me.

5. All had the inlaid Pearl Gibson Logo on the headstock.

6. *   The inlaid Pearl Gibson Logo on the headstock may be in the Font/shape/style of the Original Explorer issue/'50's Gibson logo, that differs from the Font/shape/style of Gibson headstock logos on all other '83 Explorers (which is the "current" Gibson logo).

7. None have a "Custom Shop Edition" "inked" logo on the back of the headstock.

8. None have "pressed" 8 digit serial numbers.

9. All have black "inked" 5 digit serial numbers on the back of the headstock, below the tuners, in this format: 1 0XXX, (a one, then a space and then 4 digits starting with a zero), with the last three digits ranging from 001 through 100

10. * The Made in the USA" marking on the back of the headstock may also be "inked", not pressed, but this detail needs to be confirmed.

11. All have "in line" volume/tone knobs and a 3 position pickup selector on the "horn". 

As detailed above, there is no such thing as a "1983 Gibson Explorer Custom Shop Edition Korina Heritage". Any Original '83 Explorer with Gold Hardware cannot be a Heritage, despite every '83 Explorer "Heritage" I've seen for sale having Gold Hardware. Caveat Emptor (Buyer beware)

1983 Gibson Custom Shop Edition (less than 100 made. * 94-96 total) 

1. All had Gold hardware.

2. All had "pressed" 8 digit serial numbers and "Made in the USA" markings on the back of the headstock.

3. All had "inked" black and gold "Custom Shop Edition" logos below the tuning pegs on the back of the headstock and above the pressed serial numbers.

4. All had inline tone/volume knobs and the 3 position pickup selector on the "horn"

5 All had an inlaid Pearl Gibson logo on the headstock with the current Gibson logo font/shape/style

6. None had "tulip" style tuning pegs

7. * I think the tuners on CSE '83 Explorers were Kluson or Grover Rotomatics or "Milk bottles" but I need help on what they are specifically called.   

8. *  All were Korina (99.9% sure on this)

9.  * Approximately 1/2 were "natural finish", and the rest were black, red or "blonde/Ivory", with the latter being the lesser made variation

10. *  "Covered humbuckers" (gold) seem to be what was original, but I can only attest to what mine came with when purchased new in 1985. Any better/ more accurate data would be appreciated, including the actual name of said.

As the data above indicates, '83 Custom Shop Editions (as a whole), are more rare than '83 Heritages, despite '83 Heritages being seen as "more desirable", and often valued at $10k-$25K, or maybe more. When '83 CSE Explorers are broken down into sub groups comprised of the handful of original factory variations (finish, pickguard color, hard tail/soft tail, and/or other possible hardware options originally offered), the "less than 100" 1983 Custom Shop Edition Gibson Explorers each become far more rare.

If you have more info about these specific '83 Explorer types, especially if you can provide good and provable source citations, your help would be appreciated.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 11:04 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

After about 4 sentences I'm spent.

I had an Explorer it was made by Gibson. I did not research it to the N'th degree.

GmX8KO9.jpg

Yes, I understand that I obviously have done, and continue to do, lots of research on my '83 Explorer. Admittedly, I had no idea what I was buying when I picked it up new in '85 for my first electric, nor was I familiar with the Gibson brand. For decades, experienced and knowledgeable guitarists would complement me on it, (especially on how it played), and most would tell me "facts" about it. Sadly, most of the "facts" they provided were contradictory, (with each other), assumptive, false, and/or unable to be confirmed. Questions asked of Gibson either went unanswered or were vague and not model specific. At a minimum, I simply wanted to get an idea of my guitar's value for insurance purposes. Until last year, I had no idea that 1983 was such an important year for Explorers, specifically regarding the Heritage and Custom Shop Editions. It became obvious that only bits and pieces of accurate information could be found in individual web posts/articles, and finding the volume of "buried/obscure" web sources needed to compile an accurate idea of '83 Explorer specs was/is nearly impossible. (As I stated above, this lack of data has spawned prolific "sales fraud"). I, and a few others, are currently compiling provable data/specs in order to create a single web location containing as much correct information on the '83 Explorer lines as possible.  If 1983 Explorer Heritages and/or Custom Shop Editions are not your thing, then this info is obviously not for you.  

Edited by Sheepdog1969
typo

Ever wondered why certain individuals choose, not only to "click on" posts that do not interest them, but then still choose to reply with sarcastic, demeaning, and off topic language that is useless to the conversation?  Below are a few simple rules for those lacking the appropriate skills required for social interaction.

1. Not all conversations/discussion subjects will apply to your specific interests, nor will they all interest you. (That's OK)

2. If the length of a post is beyond your attention span, even though the subject interests you, (and especially if it does not interest you), understand that your short attention span is a YOU problem and not the Author's. As such, don't reply to a post that you've chosen not to read completely. (It is always better to remain quiet and let people think you are stupid, rather than opening your mouth and proving it to them.)

3.  It's OK to read posts and NOT reply to them.

4. Before replying to a post, ask yourself, "Do I have the knowledge, expertise, and/or experience required to enter into this conversation? Will my reply provide beneficial information to the conversation? Will my reply accurately answer a question asked in the conversation?".  If your answer is YES to any of these, then your reply may be appropriate. 

5. If you find, and/or if you are constantly told, that you frequently reply to posts with "Morally superior", demeaning, and derisive language, (generally narcissistic commentary), you will want to refer to these rules every time you feel the urge to reply to anyone's post.

• Thanks 1

If you only want insurance purpose estimates you can pick whatever number you'd like and insure it for that much and pay for it.  Otherwise you'll need an actual appraisal from Gruhn or another big name shop.  The insurance company won't take the word of a bunch of internet Gibson goofballs as your value.

rct

2 hours ago, rct said:

If you only want insurance purpose estimates you can pick whatever number you'd like and insure it for that much and pay for it.  Otherwise you'll need an actual appraisal from Gruhn or another big name shop.  The insurance company won't take the word of a bunch of internet Gibson goofballs as your value.

rct

And I’ve found Gruhn’s appraisals to be “for insurance purposes”. I’d never be able to sell guitars for the numbers he’s put on that paper. 

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

It's not that I'm not interested, just that the original post is a wild ride. I like it though. 

Anything you can use here? 

Thanks for the vid and the props! My original post is defiantly massive and geared toward a very small group of people. I posted it for a few reasons. First, I wanted to combine what I had learned into one location, rather than bits and pieces spread out everywhere. Second, I wanted to get more info from others who could add to, and/or correct the data I posted. Lastly, I will be using the info collected here to create a comprehensive, collaborative resource page that will contain all info available on the '83 Explorer models, which I have never been able to find anywhere else. Your help is much appreciated!  

10 hours ago, rct said:

rct

You are correct. Anyone can pay the premiums to insure anything for any amount, but that doesn't mean the insurance company will pay out that amount if the insured item's value is less than the insured amount.  And, yes, the insurance company need would proof of the insured item's authenticity and then a valuation from a reputable appraiser, thus determining the "payout/replacement cost" in the event of loss. My issues are; 1. Accurately identifying the exact specifications, model line, etc. of my Explorer. (hence my massive research due to the "information void" about said.)  2. Determining approximate market value based on the results derived from the preceding issue. 3.  Insuring my guitar(s) for slightly more than they are currently worth. (Because I was unaware of what exact Explorer I have, I had previously far under insured it.) But, your point is understood and appreciated. BTW, rct, can I submit you as a profession Gibson value estimator? LOL JK 

7 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

You are correct. Anyone can pay the premiums to insure anything for any amount, but that doesn't mean the insurance company will pay out that amount if the insured item's value is less than the insured amount.  And, yes, the insurance company need would proof of the insured item's authenticity and then a valuation from a reputable appraiser, thus determining the "payout/replacement cost" in the event of loss. My issues are; 1. Accurately identifying the exact specifications, model line, etc. of my Explorer. (hence my massive research due to the "information void" about said.)  2. Determining approximate market value based on the results derived from the preceding issue. 3.  Insuring my guitar(s) for slightly more than they are currently worth. (Because I was unaware of what exact Explorer I have, I had previously far under insured it.) But, your point is understood and appreciated. BTW, rct, can I submit you as a profession Gibson value estimator? LOL JK 

No man, you don't want to do that.  I remember them.  It's worth a few grand, 4.5, 5k tops.  If you found a guy that has every Explorer but that one well sure, you'd get 10 or 12k maybe.  It's just an Explorer, Korina is just mahogany, it doesn't matter how many they made or didn't.

I've had more than my share of rare, hard-to-find, they only made a few of these guitars in my life.  It's just a guitar.  That's how I look at it, including my own.

Good luck with it.  I hope you get an appraisal for a decent price.

rct

18 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

And I’ve found Gruhn’s appraisals to be “for insurance purposes”. I’d never be able to sell guitars for the numbers he’s put on that paper. 

This is a very good point.

You and I couldn't sell them for that money.

But he could, simply because of his location, reputation and patience.

On 10/10/2022 at 5:12 AM, Sheepdog1969 said:

Ever wondered why certain individuals choose, not only to "click on" posts that do not interest them, but then still choose to reply with sarcastic, demeaning, and off topic language that is useless to the conversation? 

Yes.

Yes, I have wondered this.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 3:09 AM, Sheepdog1969 said:

Yes, I understand that I obviously have done, and continue to do, lots of research on my '83 Explorer. 

I get it.

I have a 1933 Gibson mandolin that once was owned by Scotty Stoneman. I got it from George Gruhn.

Researching it and him has been a very gratifying ordeal. I've learned a lot about many players from the 50's/60's who were NOT real famous and yet masterful players.

Best of luck.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:22 AM, Murph said:

I get it.

I have a 1933 Gibson mandolin that once was owned by Scotty Stoneman. I got it from George Gruhn.

Researching it and him has been a very gratifying ordeal. I've learned a lot about many players from the 50's/60's who were NOT real famous and yet masterful players.

Best of luck.

Wow, you stated in 4 words my EXACT feelings during this process; "...a very gratifying ordeal."  I have learned volumes about my guitar, learned far more about guitars in general, and met more than a few knowledgeable, open, and kind individuals during this process. Thanks for letting me know that my experience, throughout this research, is not unique or overly obsessive.