Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 1959 ES-355 - Asking For £1,650

Hype

You can thank me later (if it hasn’t already been picked up). For those living near London England. Check Facebook MarketPlace. An original Gibson 1959 ES-355 priced very very very low is up for grabs! Hope it’s not a scam..

1959 Gibson ES-355 - A Steal for that price

Edited by Hype

12 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Far too good to be true.

Notice the colour of the neck binding vs the body binding.

Seems far too good to be true. But the neck binding does age and wear to a white. I have the NG-355 and they Murphy Lab’d it the same way…neck binding worn to almost white. Body binding left yellow..I want to check this thing out badly to see in person if it’s legit…The pictures look legit.

Perhaps she screwed up on the price? Either way, if you are a serious buyer you won’t say anything. Though, with the internet these days you have to wonder why she didn’t list it at market price. This should be listed at $18K to $24K USD which is a lot higher than what is listed in £.

Edited by Hype

The internet makes everyone a genius all at once all the time.

The seller knows what they are selling, or they would have it at about $5000 US for one of the 59 355 modern day reissues, or it would be at $15000 US for a real one.  Less than 20 seconds on the internet will tell them this stuff.

The buyer, and there will be one, is so certain that they and they alone have scored an unbelievable wet dream of a guitar buy that they will be an internet genius too, ignore all reasonable and customary consumer thoughtfulness and buy it.  They will be in here in a month moaning about not being sure "what it is I have here", with people like me lol ing out loud at them.

And so it goes...

rct

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, rct said:

The internet makes everyone a genius all at once all the time.

The seller knows what they are selling, or they would have it at about $5000 US for one of the 59 355 modern day reissues, or it would be at $15000 US for a real one.  Less than 20 seconds on the internet will tell them this stuff.

The buyer, and there will be one, is so certain that they and they alone have scored an unbelievable wet dream of a guitar buy that they will be an internet genius too, ignore all reasonable and customary consumer thoughtfulness and buy it.  They will be in here in a month moaning about not being sure "what it is I have here", with people like me lol ing out loud at them.

And so it goes...

rct

Gibson hasn’t made an ES-355TDSV since 1997. And even those were going for approx $10K on the resell market. The closest thing to this model guitar is the 2022 Noel Gallagher 1960 ES-355 (it has the short pickguard and is wired mono) going for $10K USD….But I get what you are saying….the internet makes everyone a genius...Anyways, the pictures are real, can’t speak for the actual guitar (if there is even one), and yes, it is most likely a scam, a fake or a bait and switch ad..

On 10/22/2022 at 10:43 AM, Hype said:

Seems far too good to be true. But the neck binding does age and wear to a white. I have the NG-355 and they Murphy Lab’d it the same way…neck binding worn to almost white. Body binding left yellow.

The neck binding does not "wear to a white".  It remains white (while the body binding turns yellow) because the neck binding never got coated in lacquer during the original finishing process.  The yellowing of the body binding is due to the aging of the lacquer that coats it.

16 hours ago, JimR56 said:

The neck binding does not "wear to a white".  It remains white (while the body binding turns yellow) because the neck binding never got coated in lacquer during the original finishing process.  The yellowing of the body binding is due to the aging of the lacquer that coats it.

Lacquer coating on the neck, so I guess Murphy Lab scrapped it off the neck to keep some white and some yellow..

10 years ago an xlnt condition vintage real 1959 ES355 would’ve been worth $25,000.00 - $28,000.00.. Maybe more… Prices went crazy during Covid so who knows now… Although, I think prices have started to retreat a little…

Either these people don’t know what they have or it’s not a real ‘59….

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

10 years ago an xlnt condition vintage real 1959 ES355 would’ve been worth $25,000.00 - $28,000.00.. Maybe more… Prices went crazy during Covid so who knows now… Although, I think prices have started to retreat a little…

Either these people don’t know what they have or it’s not a real ‘59….

Even pre-covid a real '59 335 was way more than what they are asking by many thousands of dollars.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Oh is a 355. I saw it as 335. 355's are killer to. I thought 355's had Varitones on them?

I used to own an original Sunburst 1959 Gibson ES345 Stereo in mint condition.. It had Varitone.. Many people say they were terrible.. I thought it was great & it gave you some different Sound options.. All of them good.. The original PAF Humbuckers on that Guitar were these sounding I’ve ever heard.. I’ve owned many Gibson Electric Guitars with many different Humbuckers all claiming to have the original PAF Sound, but, none do… Also it could be played Stereo through 2 Amps with the Stereo Cord..  It was the most *****en Electric Guitar I’ve ever owned.. I didn’t know what I had.. I never should have sold it.. Today I see them advertised occasionally for $35,000.00 +/- a few thousand…

I believe some 355’s had Varitone but not all of them… 

But, the 335’s are the most popular & demand sometimes Twice as much as the 345’s & 335’s…

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My BB King had a Vartione. To me it was useless.

May have been because it didn’t have original 1959 PAF Humbuckers, F-Holes & wasn’t a Stereo Guitar? But, yeah, a lot of people didn’t like Varitone.. Some would Mod & have it completely by-passed…

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

May have been because it didn’t have original 1959 PAF Humbuckers, F-Holes & wasn’t a Stereo Guitar? But, yeah, a lot of people didn’t like Varitone.. Some would Mod & have it completely by-passed…

The BB was stereo and mono (I used it in stereo a few times), no F holes to control feedback (nope I could make it do that), and there were 490's in it. On my BB position 1 was the V-tone was not in the circuit (that came factory wired like that), positions 2 - 6 was the V-tone making the guitar more nasally. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The BB was stereo and mono (I used it in stereo a few times), no F holes to control feedback (nope I could make it do that), and there were 490's in it. On my BB position 1 was the V-tone was not in the circuit (that came factory wired like that), positions 2 - 6 was the V-tone making the guitar more nasally. 

It’s been 20 years but I seem to remember having 5-6 additional voices + the 3 way Switch.. A total of 8-9 different voices..

I've been a long time fan of BB King.. I’ve played & have owned several ES Guitars. You could say I’ve been chasing that Sound. I’ve played some Lucille’s & like all the other recent era ES Guitars I’ve played & owned it sounded really good.. But, none of the mid 60’s & later PAF type HB’s sounded like the real ‘59’s… 

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Sounds like you looked at the wiring and confirmed that the VT was out of the circuit in position 1.  I believe the "reissue" ES-345 that was being made in Memphis 2002-2012 had the same wiring with 57 Classics.  Mine is from 2011.  I prefer the jacks being on the rim, despite the non-traditional look, and VT position 1 absolutely sounds bypassed.  The case has "BB King" stenciled on the neck, so take it this guitar's approach was a preference of BB's...sort of a semi-Lucille 345.

Edited by spitball
clearer wording

2 hours ago, spitball said:

Sounds like you looked at the wiring and confirmed that the VT was out of the circuit in position 1.  I believe the "reissue" ES-345 that was being made in Memphis 2002-2012 had the same wiring with 57 Classics.  Mine is from 2011.  I prefer the jacks being on the rim, despite the non-traditional look, and VT position 1 absolutely sounds bypassed.  The case has "BB King" stenciled on the neck, so take it this guitar's approach was a preference of BB's...sort of a semi-Lucille 345.

Nope I read that on Gibson website when they were selling the one I had, and not the ones that are 7k that they are making now. It stated Poition 1 was bypassed. Mine was a 2009.

10 hours ago, Larsongs said:

It’s been 20 years but I seem to remember having 5-6 additional voices + the 3 way Switch.. A total of 8-9 different voices..

I've been a long time fan of BB King.. I’ve played & have owned several ES Guitars. You could say I’ve been chasing that Sound. I’ve played some Lucille’s & like all the other recent era ES Guitars I’ve played & owned it sounded really good.. But, none of the mid 60’s & later PAF type HB’s sounded like the real ‘59’s… 

You have 6 Vartione Poitions, 2 pickups and a 3 way switch. that is a total of if my math is correct 18 different combo's you can use.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nope I read that on Gibson website when they were selling the one I had, and not the ones that are 7k that they are making now. It stated Poition 1 was bypassed. Mine was a 2009.

Ah, OK, I asked because that seems to be an age-old (as the internet anyway) question; namely, "Does the Varitone truly bypass in position 1? "

By the sound of my modern Memphis VT guitar, I'm believing "yes".  Based on two older ('68 and '71) VT guitars I had, I'd say "not sure".