Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Birthday Rock and Roll

jaxson50

On this day, October 31, 1952:
When his original guitarist has a stroke just before a New Year's Eve gig, popular St. Louis boogie-woogie pianist Johnnie Johnson hires a 26-year-old hairdresser named Chuck Berry for his group The Sir John's Trio.
And the blues had a baby called “Rock ’n’ Roll.”
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jaxson50 said:
On this day, October 31, 1952:
When his original guitarist has a stroke just before a New Year's Eve gig, popular St. Louis boogie-woogie pianist Johnnie Johnson hires a 26-year-old hairdresser named Chuck Berry for his group The Sir John's Trio.
And the blues had a baby called “Rock ’n’ Roll.”

All kidding aside, thank you for this posting, jaxson50. 

It's interesting information, and I appreciate both the history lesson and the perspective. 

🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparquelito said:

All kidding aside, thank you for this posting, jaxson50. 

It's interesting information, and I appreciate both the history lesson and the perspective. 

🙂

Thanks sparquelito,  I appreciate that, as we remember when a favorite band first appeared on TV or when a landmark albums was released, or the death of a star,  what better than the day  was Rock and Roll born?

I know it's frivolous trivia but who cares,  it's all in fun.

• Like 1

And not necessarily true.  Nobody has actually pinpointed when rock'n'roll was "born",  as traces of what sounds like the music can be heard in recorded music as far back as the mid '40's.  And maybe earlier as due to the constant debates on the subject had some claiming that Louis Prima's "Sing, Sing, Sing(with a swing)" somehow qualifies as an early example of rock'n'roll as a musical form.  

But it was fun learning  how Chuck Berry got into the mix and when, since I've always considered Chuck th be the "King" of rock'n'roll, not Elvis, who I considered rock'n'roll's best ambassador.

So, what's up with Prima's tune?  His, or Benny Goodman's instrumental cover?

Goodman

Personally, and since Chuck brought it up years ago, and since Chuck also claimed him as a major influence, I think Louis Jordan had more to do with rock's birth.  [wink]

And don't forget what "rock'n'roll" was slang for( as was "jazz" earlier. [wink]).

Whitefang

• Like 1

After his stint in the Army, not much of Elvis's music was really rock and roll. He made some great music when he wasn't making ridiculous movies. And the Vegas years had some great stuff too, and he always had a killer band up there behind him.

• Like 2

Benny Goodman had an enormous influence on popular music including rock when you consider the black musicians he hired and introduced white audiences to Jazz and modern music.

Charlie Christian influenced the generations of rock guitarist and Gene Krupa ! It could be argued that he invented the modern drum solo after the release of Sing Sing . That solo influenced  a lot of young drummers as well, 

17 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

Benny Goodman had an enormous influence on popular music including rock when you consider the black musicians he hired and introduced white audiences to Jazz and modern music.

Charlie Christian influenced the generations of rock guitarist and Gene Krupa ! It could be argued that he invented the modern drum solo after the release of Sing Sing . That solo influenced  a lot of young drummers as well, 

Particularly this drummer who racked up a few rock'n'roll hits.  He always noted Krupa as his main influence......

Actually, as a Nelson fan back then, I too was inspired to want to be a drummer.  But, money being too tight(and drums costing too much money) I switched to wanting to learn guitar.  Already had a step sister who played and was willing to teach me a few things on guitar.

Whitefang

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 5:01 PM, Whitefang said:

And not necessarily true.  Nobody has actually pinpointed when rock'n'roll was "born",  as traces of what sounds like the music can be heard in recorded music as far back as the mid '40's.  And maybe earlier as due to the constant debates on the subject had some claiming that Louis Prima's "Sing, Sing, Sing(with a swing)" somehow qualifies as an early example of rock'n'roll as a musical form.  

But it was fun learning  how Chuck Berry got into the mix and when, since I've always considered Chuck th be the "King" of rock'n'roll, not Elvis, who I considered rock'n'roll's best ambassador.

Not with guitar lessons alone. I recommend you also learn the language with the help of surveys here https://quizzes.studymoose.com/flashcards/economics that will help you develop vocabulary, learn the language and everything else. For college students I think this is especially relevant 

So, what's up with Prima's tune?  His, or Benny Goodman's instrumental cover?

Goodman

Personally, and since Chuck brought it up years ago, and since Chuck also claimed him as a major influence, I think Louis Jordan had more to do with rock's birth.  [wink]

And don't forget what "rock'n'roll" was slang for( as was "jazz" earlier. [wink]).

Whitefang

Oh, thank you for such interesting lessons! I think I'll try to play something like this for the new year, if I can and I'm in the mood to play. Very helpful videos. 

I mean, it's been so watered down.

Music that the mainstream now calls rock, isn't. 

Everybody knows what jazz is.

Everybody knows what bluegrass is.

But so much crap has glommed onto the "rock" genre, it's lost its punch and can now be a mix of things that have nothing to do with rock and roll.

• Like 1

Most people have no clue who many of those GREAT early Pioneers were, but, they all know who Chuck Berry is! I recall his record “Johnny B. Goode” is included in the Time Capsule rocketing through Space until somewhere some Aliens find it & start “Rockin’”!

Johnnie Johnson could light those Keys on fire!

• Like 1

Some folks who consider themselves to be authorities on such matters have concluded that Rock n  Roll was born on the day Allan Freed first used those words on air to introduce a record,

The Moondog Coranation held at the Cleveland Arena May 21, 1952, MC`d by Alan Feed is considered the first Rock and Roll concert .

So actually it wasn't a musician who coined the words Rock and Roll at all, it was a radio disc jockey. And Alan Freed paid an enormous price for it. 

23 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

So actually it wasn't a musician who coined the words Rock and Roll at all, it was a radio disc jockey. And Alan Freed paid an enormous price for it. 

Nobody can be sure who "coined" the term "rock and roll",  but musicians have used it among each other for years before Freed pushed in and saw commercial potential in the music.  And "rock and roll" as a term was used for years as slang for the sex act(as was jazz)  and was tagged to that particular style of music because it was considered good music to "get it on" to.  [wink]

And that "enormous price" Alan Freed paid was the amounts of money he got caught accepting for him to play certain records labels were "promoting" during the payola scandals of the late '50's.

Whitefang

46 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

And that "enormous price" Alan Freed paid was the amounts of money he got caught accepting for him to play certain records labels were "promoting" during the payola scandals of the late '50's.

But isn't that the American Way? What's in it for ME? It may have been a scandal, but was it illegal? It was just wrong. He knew it, but if no law was broken, why not get a little scratch on the side?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'd say drinking yourself to death at the age of 43 is paying the price.  He was hounded by the IRS, couldn'tfind work, petty much black balled for doing what everyone was doing in the business. 

And it is true that " Freed was the first radio disc jockey and concert producer who frequently played and promoted rock and roll; he popularized the phrase "rock and roll" on mainstream radio."

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

But isn't that the American Way? What's in it for ME? It may have been a scandal, but was it illegal? 

Really, not until 1960.  But surely unethical until then.  And usually initiated by the labels.  But Freed would often make the offer to promote records for money to the labels.

He also took credit for writing(or "co-writing")  many tunes he had no real hand in so he could also promote them(which was illegal) and pocket royalties.  Most notably Chuck Berry's "Maybelline".  And don't try handing me that crap story that he put his name on the song so a black artist(Berry) could get his song published by the "white controlled" music publishing business.  

10 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

I'd say drinking yourself to death at the age of 43 is paying the price.  He was hounded by the IRS, couldn'tfind work, petty much black balled for doing what everyone was doing in the business. 

And it is true that " Freed was the first radio disc jockey and concert producer who frequently played and promoted rock and roll; he popularized the phrase "rock and roll" on mainstream radio."

Freed's alcoholism may or may not have been sparked by his troubles(largely brought on by himself) in the music biz.  He was fired from his most lucrative position at a Boston radio station for inciting a riot.  And caused his own IRS problems for once admitting on air that he took bribes to play records.  And he neglected to claim that income which caused the IRS to "hound" him. 

Sadly, just promoting the popularity of the music wasn't enough. He overestimated his influence and importance in the radio industry which is what he really "paid the price" for.

Whitefang