Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul vertical slits under tuning pegs

Jammer90

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way. 

I tried selling my 2014 120th anniversary Gibson Les Paul guitar at guitar center and they found 2 lines going vertical behind the head stock underneath the tuning pegs . It’s not a crack that’s piercing the paint but they said that the wood will split in time. Is this legitimate? Has anyone had this problem? Pictures of the guitar attached but photos of the lines to come. Maybe they also took into account some belt scratches behind the base but for a 10 year guitar I don’t think it’s a huge issue.  Thanks again. 

14633160-8022-4637-B6A9-BDC458CA623A.jpeg

3A1B3D69-69D8-4539-BE4B-F25D463EF5A9.jpeg

7E1C6A8F-A00E-4E4C-9646-4E05C2A8D49F.jpeg

GC Probably not a good place to sell your guitar. 

I'd guess you'd probably won't get more than 60% of what its worth. 

And without pictures of so called cracks in the back of the headstock,  we can't say what's going on.

Some nitro shifts around where the tuners are tightened down. 

Need clear close up pictures 

On 11/14/2022 at 5:37 AM, Farnsbarns said:

They're called "wings". Small pieces stuck on the side of the headstock to give it the width without needing a neck blank that wide the whole length. If a guitar shop employee thought that was unusual, never go back. As far as I know every Gibson Les Paul in the world has them. 

this,  100%  as well as the advice to lose track of that place.  guy has no idea what he's talking about.