Gibson Brands Forums

Gallagher

Cabarone

I just read that the comedian Gallagher passed away at 76.

Aside from the Sledge-O-Matic, he did some really funny, insightful observational stuff a la George Carlin.

Had front row center seats to see him once. My wife at the time and I wore white tee shirts. We looked like we'd be shot with double ought buckshot afterwards...

• Haha 1

I remember coming home from school and watching him on Comedy Central back when that channel was first launched. I couldn't have been more than 13 or 14. Read some articles about him when his passing was announced. Very successful career he had. Something like 12 or so hour long specials. That's impressive. 

Man, that is a shame.  I saw him at Metro Detroit's Royal Oak theater in the early '80's.  Couldn't get front row, but a great time anyway.   I first became aware of him from the late night show "Make Me Laugh".  in the late '70's.   Sure made me laugh.  Lots more that another comic on the show, Bob Saget.  But you know, he rarely, if ever, used his "Sledge-o-matic" shtick  on that show and still cracked everybody up.  

14 hours ago, Cabarone said:

Had front row center seats to see him once. My wife at the time and I wore white tee shirts. We looked like we'd be shot with double ought buckshot afterwards...

Good for you.  I never got the idea of getting front row to see Gallagher and cover up with visqueen.  I'd take all that splatter as a badge of honor.  And maybe not wash those shirts ever again.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Good for you.  I never got the idea of getting front row to see Gallagher and cover up with visqueen.  I'd take all that splatter as a badge of honor.  And maybe not wash those shirts ever again.  [wink]

I had it hanging on a curtain rod in our bedroom. It got packed up when we separated. I hope I still have it somewhere...

I remember laughing so hard when he was doing his "smashing" finale I got a shot of mustard in my mouth...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Man, that is a shame.  I saw him at Metro Detroit's Royal Oak theater in the early '80's.  Couldn't get front row, but a great time anyway.   I first became aware of him from the late night show "Make Me Laugh".  in the late '70's.   Sure made me laugh.  Lots more that another comic on the show, Bob Saget.  But you know, he rarely, if ever, used his "Sledge-o-matic" shtick  on that show and still cracked everybody up.  

Whitefang

“Make Me Laugh” was great.  Gallagher came out with a wide-brimmed hat and had a train or a car running-around it.  Crazy guy!  Several very funny people were on that show.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

“Make Me Laugh” was great.  Gallagher came out with a wide-brimmed hat and had a train or a car running-around it.  Crazy guy!  Several very funny people were on that show.

Yeah, there were.  Just that I never thought Saget was all that funny.  Ever.

Did you see the show on which FRANK ZAPPA was the "celebrity" guest?  They couldn't even get him to grin.  😉

Whitefang

A little trivia about Leo, his start in show business was as a road manager for Jim Stafford, he decided to try stand up after observing Stafford`s  stage performances. 

Sadly Gallagher, due to the damage to his heart and organs  from numerous heart attacks,  spent most of his last decade in need of constant medical care. 

RIP  your trials are over Leo.

RIP Gallagher.  I parked my car on the parkway and drove my car in the driveway in his honor.  

We were in Ocean City Md back in about 2000 and he was appearing at the Convention Center there. I took my two oldest sons, who were about 9 and 11. At the end of the show he started doing his Sledge-O-Matic thing and my sons went right up to the front. Luckily I had a pickup truck at that time. They were so covered in watermelon, ketchup, and whatever else he smashed, I put them in the bed of the truck. I told them to sit low and stay down. Luckily it was only a short drive down Coastal Highway to our place. The look on my wife and her mother's face when I pulled up with them in the back was priceless.   

• Like 1

Gallagher was good at finding humor in things we all take for granted and never realize.  Like Carlin did.

Gallagher pointing out being punished in school for "being smart".  Asking questions like, "What makes the Teflon stick to the pan?  And pointing out that the word "big" is half the size of the word, "little".   [laugh]

Whitefang