Gibson Brands Forums

Navy Seals. Rock On.

Murph

One story has it that as the life boat was being towed to calmer waters' date=' the rope was slowly, but surely getting shorter.

Where do they get their guns? AK-47s are made by the millions by the communist block countries. Mostly by the former Soviet Union and China. If these are indeed AK47s they could have been made any time since 1947 through about 1974 when it was supplanted by the upgraded, albeit similar looking, AK74. There are a gazillion of these out there. It's anybody's guess where the ones these knuckleheads were brandishing came from. Judging by Somalia's lack of industry, resources and money, I'd say they purchased them on the cheap at a used weapons garage sale in West Idiotstan.[/quote']

Where they're made and Where they're getting them are two different questions. It's one that must be answered by our Intelligence Agencies. And it's not just the AK's, it's the Grenade and Rocket Launchers, Rounds, New Magazines, spare parts and everything it takes to keep a piracy ring going.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I left the references to "snake-eaters" out for a reason - most people have no idea of the concept.

They ARE a different breed for sure, and I'm glad there's a few of them out there.

Problem is, they often don't do well socially but give them an objective and let them get equipped....

I'm also glad there are a few on the forum who "get it" like you do - and thanks for your service!

As a kid, I wanted to fly. I didn't care what it was - I just wanted to fly.

Spent a lot of days hanging around the airport in my small Kansas town, got to go up regularly with local farmers and businessmen, and I managed to learn alot about how to operate a Cessna and a little about how they learned to fly in the military.

These guys all had money, successful businesses, and kids in college. Even better than my own folks, they knew a thing or two about how the world works and it wasn't as simple as paying your taxes.

Get them (and my Dad) talking about military heroics and sooner or later you get the snake-eater stories....

Tried twice to get into the Army in 1983-84 with no luck due to a single medical document with the word 'athsma' on it.

Went on to start my own career and got a pilot's license from my own earnings. Still love to fly.

Started collecting guitars and guns, and got more and more interested in how they were developed/intended to be used.

Started playing guitar more seriously and realized there was WAY more to it for the pros than I ever realized.

Same with guns, I realized those Great Hunters and military snipers were INDEED way beyond my meager skills.

I might own some of the exact same gear, but my accomplishments would never be on par with those guys.

Well, I was reading up on the great snipers like Hathcock and learned that as celebrated as they were, they were NOT rock stars. Every shot they made meant enduring personal pain and sacrifice I wasn't ready to put up with...

THOSE guys are heros.

SEALs, Delta, Special Forces, many shadowy groups too vague to name, are indeed the cream of the crop.

Simply making the team is one thing - staying on it for 15 years is something else.

As said above, Rock on.

Where they're getting them are two different questions. It's one that must be answered by our Intelligence Agencies. And it's not just the AK's' date=' it's the Grenade and Rocket Launchers, Rounds, New Magazines, spare parts and everything it takes to keep a piracy ring going. [/quote']

I see the light just came on in your head....

Seriously, that's a good thing!

What you are asking is like where underage kids buy cigarettes - everywhere!

Our intelligence people have a pretty good idea who the major players are, but anybody can go to any black market in any of dozens of countries and buy hundreds of those weapons. If you only want a dozen or so (like Mexican cartels) you can simply pay a little cash (they're CHEAP) and stick them in a big suitcase.

Crate them up with something else and ship them, or simply put them on a boat with people you know.

To actually put a stop to the small arms market is nothing short of folly.

You'd have better luck stopping underage drinking and smoking in the United States.

At least here we have laws, government, and easy access to records, over there you got..... jack.

I see the light just came on in your head....

Seriously' date=' that's a good thing!

What you are asking is like where underage kids buy cigarettes - everywhere!

Our intelligence people have a pretty good idea who the major players are, but anybody can go to any black market in any of dozens of countries and buy hundreds of those weapons. If you only want a dozen or so (like Mexican cartels) you can simply pay a little cash (they're CHEAP) and stick them in a big suitcase.

Crate them up with something else and ship them, or simply put them on a boat with people you know.

To actually put a stop to the small arms market is nothing short of folly.

You'd have better luck stopping underage drinking and smoking in the United States.

At least here we have laws, government, and easy access to records, over there you got..... jack.

[/quote']

That's good if they only get them from the black market, that means they're still on their own. If China or Russia or even Iran or one of the Middle Eastern Countries are supporting them, we need to cut that off.

I just want to knwo who's in the game, not stop black market gun sales. Cause all we have to do now, is make them use their stuff so much that they can't keep it in repair. Air strikes on supply depots, Naval Shelling of the coast where the Pirates Dock. Starve 'em out. But if they're backed by a world power (even a second or third world power), that won't work.

{Edit} Guitarest makes a good point. I use the word "Russia" loosley. Any one of the Ukranian "Countries" apply.

I am politically what you might call centre left in the political arena BUT - I do believe in the rule of law locally, nationally and internationally. There is just absolutely NO room for pirates or other international criminals to operate. They laugh at us while they do whatever they want. The ONLY solution is to slap them down and slap them down hard. They will eventually get the message and find something else to do. I will have no sympathy for any pirates/criminals caught and killed - PERIOD.

As far as the snake-eaters - you are bang-on. We do need them and thank goodness and they are there for us.

Excuse me for this post...

That's what I'm talking about.

I'm damned sick of being pushed around.

I'm for bringing back the "Don't Tread On Me" Flag.

Whatever happened to that?

yeah!

What happened? We got representation for our taxation. Well' date=' unless you live in D.C.[/quote']

Finally.

Awesome weekend for the family and our US Navy special Ops...#-o

3 headshots and done !!!

Yeah!

or your way is fine too.

HAHA!

Kudos on their aim....how do you hit a Somalian in the head?.....its the size of a pea.

Nice...

practice on iraqis?

Woot!

=D>

This ain't over.

This is Obama's first test.

Hopefully. Democrat. 8-[

Just read the story at CNN' date=' WTG snipers.... Never Fuxk with them; and this will hopefully turn the tide over there. I doubt it's going to change but I bet its going to be a while before they grab another American Ship. WTF did they think was going to happen?[/quote]

You cannot beat the Navy Seals!!!

image005.jpg

I'm a bit torn on the whole Hero Worship thing ever since the Jessica Lynch fiasco - the cute little blonde in the Army. Remember in 2003 when she got lost' date=' shot all to hell and captured?

She FAILED in her duty, along with her entire convoy, and that seems to be all forgotten.

I'm not knocking them, their service, or their sacrifice, but let's maintain a little perspective, shall we?

The guys who sprung her on the intelligence provided by local Iraqis (wouldn't THEY be considered brave?) were never given the Hero's Welcome or paraded before the cameras like the skinny little blonde has been.

They did their job, very well, and it all turned out happy. Therefore, I heartily commend those men for [b']doing their job[/b].

NeoConMan, I'm with you for the most part on what you say, but I think you are being extremely unfair and basically just believing what you heard and not hearing, as Paul Harvey would say, "The rest of the story".

Just HOW was Pfc Lynch supposed to have "FAILED in her duty" when she had "three breaks in her left leg, multiple breaks in her right foot, a fractured disk in her back, a broken right upper arm and lacerations on her head" from the attack? She was with the Maintenance Company...not the SEALS, Rangers or Green Berets. Eleven in her unit died, including four from her vehicle.

It was even said that the military stretched the truth. Lynch said herself: "The real story was that I was just laying there and knocked out [after the ambush]. I was a little angry at the whole story, because it wasn't the truth," Lynch said. "I wasn't going to allow myself to sit there and let a lie kind of build. ... No, I didn't shoot. I didn't become a Rambo GI Jane."

In spite of what Napolitano (I can't stand her) said about Lori Piestewa, Pfc Lynch said: But Lynch said she thinks about members of her unit who died that day, especially best friend and roommate Lori Piestewa, the first American Indian servicewoman killed in action in U.S. history.

Lynch credited Piestewa's strength as a soldier and person for helping her get through her time as a POW.

"She taught me to be a stronger person. She was so strong herself that it kind of rubbed off," Lynch said. "I feel that's why those nine days in that hospital -- that's why I got through it. Lori was there. I could feel her giving me strength to keep going."

---------------------------------

"All gave some...Some gave all"

Just HOW was Pfc Lynch supposed to have "FAILED in her duty"

She was with the Maintenance Company...not the SEALS' date=' Rangers or Green Berets.

Eleven in her unit died, including four from her vehicle.[/quote']

You make a couple good points, but I still maintain my position.

The story behind their ambush is almost as tragi-comic as the assassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand that started WW I.

They GOT LOST!

They were driving blindly - not wanting to stop because they would be lightly armed sitting ducks - and kept going.....

They took the wrong road and drove right down Main Street for the bad guys.

Before the bad guys could believe their good fortune and grab up enough men and weapons to chase them down and ambush them, the convoy realized their mistake and turned around. They drove back into the hornet's nest!

(Of course, they had no way of knowing this but they were a supply convoy - why proceed into uncertainty?)

Their intended mission did not involve getting lost, getting shot all to hell, losing the trucks and supplies, and capture.

If they had any idea that was going to happen, they would not have proceeded, eh?

They failed.

Everything else was secondary.

I did not expect Lynch to fight her way out once she was in such bad shape, that's not the failure.

I expected no Rambo GI Jane.

The military did indeed stretch the truth.

I won't even open up the women/combat can of worms, but the military was scared to death of the public perception.

Again, our Armed Forces are WAY too politicized and that kind of stupid sh!t should be no concern when doing the job.

I feel a great deal of empathy for Lynch, what she went through was ugly, but she's no hero.

Neither is Piestewa.

A dead soldier, glorified statistic, pop culture icon, and special interest poster child? Yes.

I hate the losses as much as anybody, but I'm slow to warm up to hero worship for people who don't rightly deserve it.

I've had 6 years of that baloney shoved down my throat here in Arizona, and I'm not the only one tired of it.

Where's the mountain, freeway, or football stadium named for Pat Tillman?

Come talk to me about heroes then....

I hate the way movies screw up history, but Enemy At The Gates was a decent portrayal of the ugliness in Stalingrad and modeled after the Russin sniper you're talking about.

I forget the guy's name but he was regarded sorta like The Red Baron was by the Germans in WW I.

Catch the movie if you can, and ignore the obligitory "intertwined love interest" baloney in it.

Trying to get into the head of the men and women facing such circumstances isn't politically correct.

As a society, I think we're worse off for it.

These people were truly extraordinary, it was either that or get killed - unless you were lucky...

Just remember its not even close to being the same. I think its great you want to join and all the power and luck I can send your way. Being a sniper for the Corp means you have to be as close to a snake eater as they come being a member of Force Recon. I partied with many of those guys near the DMZ and they are a riot; drink loads of beer and up at 0dark30 doing PT. Its not a game and my son had the exact same attitude as you do' date=' although he was all cocky and failed basic marksmanship the first time around. He was so upset and I got a letter to him before he hit the range again and just told him to listen to everything those instructors tell you because no matter what you think you know; they do know just about everything. My son finally became a NCO this month and he is so excited and I am very proud of him, I can't wait till he returns from IRAQ. If you have the discovery channel or military.discovery.com there are a few programs about snipers and I would highly suggest you watch these things. I personally could not pull a trigger with a target in my scope no matter how far away; unless my life was being threatened.

Good luck, oh one thing for sure snipers not only spell correctly they are math wizards and able to blend in with their background.[/quote']

Wow...i know what you mean only 1/3 ppl in sniper school make it through. My spelling sucks i know but the math thing will be hard to master. By the time i might be able to join the army their will be a camera that goes into your back and it makes you blend in whats behind you and your like a tv screen but the tv is like cloth.

Um' date=' no.

In the last 50 years, very little has changed in the basics of putting a bullet [i']way out there[/i]...

Guitarest, thanks for your service, and tell your son the wife and I are behind him 100%.

For all we know some guy in his basement is making the cure for aids or cancer or a vest that can stop any bullet.

Obama was the one that gave them the green light. I'm just saying...

Oh yeah?...Then' date=' you may want to read this:

[b']Subject: "No-Spin" version of Capt. Phillips rescue[/b]

Subject: What happened on the rescue of CAPT Phillips

Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 8:21 PM

Thanks to Capt. Gordon N. for this....

Story of a Successful Rescue (and the Obama Adminstration’s

Attempt to Claim Credit)

Despite efforts to spin the pirate tale as evidence of bold leadership by an inexperienced president, the

reality was clearly nothing of the sort.

Posted By Jeff Emanuel On April 13, 2009 @ 12:24 am In

After four days of floating at sea on a raft shared with four Somali gunmen, Richard Philips took

matters into his own hands for a second time. With the small inflatable lifeboat in which he was being

held captive being towed by the American missile destroyer USS Bainbridge, and Navy Special Warfare

(NSWC) snipers on the fantail in position to take their shots at his captors as soon as the command was

given, the captive captain of the M.V. MaerskAlabama took his second leap in three days into the

sharkinfested waters of the Indian Ocean.

This diversion gave the Navy Special Warfare operators all the opening they needed. Snipers

immediately took down the three Somali pirates still on board the life raft, SEAL operators hustled

down the tow line connecting the two craft to confirm the kills, and a Navy RIB plucked Philips from

the water and sped him to safety aboard the Bainbridge, thus ending the four day and counting

hostage situation.

Philips’ first leap into the warm, dark water of the Indian Ocean hadn’t worked out as well. With the

Bainbridge in range and a rescue by his country’s Navy possible, Philips threw himself off of his

lifeboat prison, enabling Navy shooters onboard the destroyer a clear shot at his captors — and none

was taken.

The guidance from National Command Authority — the president of the United States,

Barack Obama — had been clear: a peaceful solution was the only acceptable outcome to this standoff

unless the hostage’s life was in clear, extreme danger.

The next day, a small Navy boat approaching the floating raft was fired on by the Somali pirates — and

again no fire was returned and no pirates killed. This was again due to the cautious stance assumed by

Navy personnel thanks to the combination of a lack of clear guidance from Washington and a mandate

from the commander in chief’s staff not to act until Obama, a man with no background of dealing with

such issues and no track record of decisiveness, decided that any outcome other than a “peaceful

solution” would be acceptable.

After taking fire from the Somali kidnappers again Saturday night, the onscenecommander decided

he’d had enough.

Keeping his authority to act in the case of a clear and present danger to the hostage’s

life and having heard nothing from Washington since yet another request to mount a rescue operation

had been denied the day before, the Navy officer — unnamed in all media reports to date — decided

the AK47 one captor had leveled at Philips’ back was a threat to the hostage’s life and ordered the

NSWC team to take their shots.

Three rounds downrange later, all three brigands became enemy KIA and Philips was safe.

There is upside, downside, and spinside to the series of events over the last week that culminated in

yesterday’s dramatic rescue of an American hostage.

Almost immediately following word of the rescue, the Obama administration and its supporters claimed

victory against pirates in the Indian Ocean and [1] declared that the dramatic end to the standoff put

paid to questions of the inexperienced president’s toughness and decisiveness.

Despite the Obama administration’s (and its sycophants’) attempt to spin yesterday’s success as a result

of bold, decisive leadership by the inexperienced president, the reality is nothing of the sort.

What should have been a standoff lasting only hours — as long as it took the USS Bainbridge and its

team of NSWC operators to steam to the location — became an embarrassing four day and counting

standoff between a ragtag handful of criminals with rifles and a U.S. Navy warship.

On Friday, April 9, as the standoff reached the end of its third day, I called on President Obama to take

action to free the American hostage from his Somali captors. I [2] outlined three possible operational

tactics that could be used to do so;

number 1 was the following:

(1) 2 helos, 2 snipers each: pop the [pirates] in their heads, then drop a rescue swimmer to

escort the hostage up to one of the choppers. This works best if the hostage is aware of what

is happening and can help without getting in the way — say, by hopping overboard as the

gunships near, to divert attention and get out of the line of fire.

(This was written before the USS Bainbridge tethered the life raft to its stern, an action which

eliminated the need for helicopters.)

However, instead of taking direct, decisive action against the ragtag group of gunmen, the Obama

administration dillydallied, dawdled, and eschewed any decisiveness whatsoever, even in the face of

enemy fire, in hopes that the situation would somehow resolve itself without violence. Thus, the

administration sent a clear message to all who would threaten U.S. interests abroad that the current

occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue has no idea how to respond to such situations — and no real

willingness to use military force to resolve them. Any who think they weren’t watching every minute of this are guilty — at best — of greatly

underestimating our enemies.

Like the crew of the Alabama, which took swift and decisive action to take back their own ship rather

than wait for help from Washington that they knew could not be counted on, Captain Philips took

matters into his own hands for the second time in three days, leaping into the water to create a diversion

and allowing the NSWC team to eliminate his captors. The result, of course, was the best that could

possibly be expected: three pirates dead, the captain unharmed, and a fourth Somali man who had

surrendered late Saturday night in custody.

One thing that will bear watching will be what the Obama DOJ attempts to do with the captive pirate.

My money is on a life of welfare checks, a plot of land (in a red state, naturally), and voting rights in

Chicago, New York, and Seattle.

In all seriousness, though, who knows? Obama could decide to get tough on the last surviving

participant in the first pirating of an American ship since Thomas Jefferson sent the U.S. Marine Corps

to root out and destroy the Barbary pirates.However, given the administration’s track record to date, I won’t be holding my breath on that one.

Article printed from Pajamas Media: http://pajamasmedia.com

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/thestoryofasuccessfulrescueandobamasattempttoclaimcredit/

URLs in this post:

[1] declared : http://www.politico.com/arena/perm/Theda_Skocpol_C3BAED402FC34FA9AB2264CDE2283669.

html

[2] outlined three possible operational tactics that could be used to do so:

http://www.redstate.com/redhot/#post2394

CB

I hate the losses as much as anybody' date=' but I'm slow to warm up to hero worship for people who don't rightly deserve it.

I've had 6 years of that baloney shoved down my throat here in Arizona, and I'm not the only one tired of it.

Where's the mountain, freeway, or football stadium named for Pat Tillman?

Come talk to me about heroes then....

[/quote']

Well NeoCon...Jessica said herself that she was no hero; "I don't consider myself a hero. I don't consider myself anything higher than a soldier who was doing my job in the military," she told CNN in a recent interview.

I can't help it that the media and the govt' or military make her out to be that.

Here is a hero:

dietzmem11-lg.jpg

I went to the dedication of this memorial. I have never been in the presence of so many of our service men and women. I was proud to be there and proud of what Danny did. He was a credit to the SEALs.

I am unsure what this seal did but I know it was extra ordinary.

Just so you know what he did:

The rescue helicopter had crashed. The Navy SEALS were wounded by Taliban gunmen' date=' vastly overpowered and outmanned in the remote region of Afghanistan.

Danny P. Dietz kept fighting.

More than a year after the 25-year-old Navy SEAL from Littleton was killed, he has been awarded the nation's second-highest military honor, the Navy Cross.

The award - one of only 20 given for valor since fighting began in Afghanistan and Iraq, and second only to the Medal of Honor - will be presented to Dietz's widow and parents during a ceremony at the U.S. Navy Memorial in Washington, D.C. on Sept. 13. The medal will also be presented posthumously to the family of Dietz's teammate, Matthew Axelson, of Cupertino, Calif.

The pair were part of an elite team of four SEALs on a reconnaissance mission "tasked with finding a key Taliban leader in mountainous terrain near Asadabad, Afghanistan," according to a Navy news release.

On June 28, 2005, "They were spotted by anti-coalition sympathizers, who immediately reported their position to Taliban fighters. A fierce gunbattle ensued between the four SEALs and a much larger enemy force with superior tactical position," the Navy release said.

The SEALs radioed for help, and a responding Chinook helicopter was shot down by a rocket-propelled grenade, killing eight more SEALs and eight Army NightStalkers. It was the worst single combat loss for the SEALs since the Vietnam War.

According to the Navy, "Despite this terrible loss, the SEALS on the ground continued to fight. Although mortally wounded, Axelson and Dietz held their position and fought for the safety of their teammates despite a hail of gunfire. Their actions cost them their lives, but gave one of the other SEALs an opportunity to escape."

That SEAL, who has not been publicly identified, was sheltered by a friendly Afghan, then turned over to the U.S. military.

The Dietz family was informed of their son's death on July 4. They will receive his medal two days after the five-year anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks that sparked the war in Afghanistan.

"He was tremendously brave, and he stuck around for his buddies," said Danny's father, Dan Dietz, of Littleton. "He was fighting all the time through this. I'm very proud that I'm his father. And I miss him tremendously."

At the ceremony in Washington - where his parents will stand alongside his widow, Maria - Dan Dietz said "we're just going to celebrate Danny."

And when he holds the medal, he said, "It will remind me of his dedication, his strength, and his loyalty. And his just . . . just his sheer guts."

--------------------

[i']"All gave some...some gave all."[/i]

Agreed.

I remember that Dietz incident mainly because I recall hearing of the Chinook crash - pretty rare.

I never heard the details surroundiing it.

The media dedicates no airtime to stories such as this.

Is it too much of a downer?

I don't get it....

Thanks for the info.

God bless him and his loved ones.

Yeah, the Chinook is a big, fast, tough chopper.

Not as easy to hit as one might think with passive aiming, and pretty resistant to damage despite little armor.

snipers not only spell correctly they are math wizards and able to blend in with their background.

It occurred to me' date=' I was watching a TV show about Special Forces guys and all the scary stuff nobody knows about...

There was a demonstration of the effectiveness of ghillie suits and concealment in broad daylight that blew my mind.

The camera shows a wide, rolling meadow with tall grass and a few bushes scattered here and there in the distance.

I'm thinking the guys are down behind the bushes and I'm waiting to see how they reveal themselves.

Nope, in the wide open grass there are suddenly half a dozen soldiers rising up holding their weapons.

Geez! What the hell were they hiding in? You couldn't even tell they were there!!!

They weren't off in the distance behind the bushes, they were only a stone's throw away in the open!!!

Before I could believe what I was seeing, six more rise up [i']in between[/i] the ones already standing....

These guys were concealed better than snakes in the grass, no more than 100 feet from the camera.

Incredible.

Saw this 5 or 6 years ago, I'm still amazed.

These video game kids need to learn the basics before they try to conquer the world with electronics.

Next time you hear something in the grass....

A buddy of mine was a Chinook pilot in the first Gulfwar and he was one of the few that nevered returned.

I don't recall the casualty count from Desert Storm, but I DO remember we lost dozens of soldiers during the mobilization before hostilities even began. Nearly 80 people if I recall....

Friends and coworkers joked that the military needed to hire movers next time, saving lives for sure!

Not funny, but jeez, I recall thinking how many guys we lost in accidents and hoping it wouldn't get distorted by the media.

- and this is before the media turned into the lying bunch of bastards they are now....

Same as all our other wars I'm sure, it's just something you don't hear about.

Desert Shield/Storm was a HUGE mobilization compared to the current conflict.

Archived