Gibson Brands Forums

Any current or former luthiers here?

afishynado

17 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I saw a black squirrel the other day.

So what?  You some kind of squirrel racist? [wink]    My street is full of black squirrels, grey Squirrels, orange-ish Squirrels, you name it.   And none of them eat guitar nuts.   Odd.....

Since legend has it that a guitar's form was designed to resemble a woman's torso, that  guitars would have  nuts doesn't seem right somehow.  [huh]

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Since legend has it that a guitar's form was designed to resemble a woman's torso, that  guitars would have  nuts doesn't seem right somehow.  [huh]

Whitefang

If the the guitar's body is the torso, the nut would be between the neck and the head. So it's around the chin. Not to get too graphic, but....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

Burp.

'scuse I. 

So, just trying to understand this. The OP is looking for someone with luthierie skills to give their phone number out on the internet and refuses to say what s/he wants and has now started a second thread when Rabs said no in the first one? Seems weird. 

Guitar Forums are the new man on man dating sites.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2022 at 12:04 PM, jdgm said:

Here is a  link to  a UK guitar maker/luthier forum -

https://guitarmaking.co.uk/community/

There is a USA one called luthier talk but I cannot paste the link into this post as it gets X'd out immediately (I've no idea why - malware? - never seen that before) - OP google it yourself please if interested .

Let's see if it lets me paste this one - yep

https://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/

The Gibson forum is not specifically a constructors forum and you do not need any specific guitar or musical knowledge to view or contribute to it.  AFAIK.

We are allowed to discuss other makes of guitar and other instruments here too.   And (sometimes) how they are built.  Over the years there have been some (not many) forum contributors who make or made guitars and similar instruments .  Plus some fine pickup and pedal makers and amp experts. [cool]

Best wishes to all!

Good post. Thanks

Having worked in the guitar industry, I did meet several luthiers. If you need work done you may have to ship your guitar, unless you are near one of them. But it doesn't sound to me like that is what you're after. If you have some questions about a service or even about the industry, I'm sure they wouldn't  mind sharing a couple minutes of their time with you. You can hit me up at my inbox for their info. 

Edited by Jjm907

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I didn't know there were black squirrels.

We saw red squirrels in the IOW last month. These were native on mainland uk before the grey squirrels arrived from America. 

There is a band called Black Squirrel. 🙂

Edited by Tman
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 8:50 PM, Jjm907 said:

Having worked in the guitar industry, I did meet several luthiers. If you need work done you may have to ship your guitar, unless you are near one of them. But it doesn't sound to me like that is what you're after. If you have some questions about a service or even about the industry, I'm sure they wouldn't  mind sharing a couple minutes of their time with you. You can hit me up at my inbox for their info. 

Thanks, I will message you.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:50 PM, Jjm907 said:

Or, I can post my number here and you can call me collect...😉

Edited by Jjm907
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I miss the good ol' days when we had more questions like  " I live in  xyz,  does anyone here have the name of a luthier they

d recommend in that area?  Or should I ask the guitar techs at a a few of my local music stores who they recommend?"

Not its for a quick date, and possibly a string change if time permits.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper